Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you view the Gods?

Re: How do you view the Gods?

Pranam saidevo ji, andrewoberg and all

Thanks for your considered reply, no I am no more proficient in Gita then you are, I do not make in depth analysis of each verse like you and many here might do, yes I had considered the verse on the line that you have put, that is one way of looking at it yet there are those who see that in different light, one thing is for sure the existence of all that be is not in doubt, the reason I entered this thread because in post no 2 Riverwolf doubted the literal existence of Gods or devas.

In that ekam reality there is multitude of variety and that is a conundrum we can all marvel.

This entire universe is pervaded by Me, the unmanifest Brahman. All beings depend on (or remain in) Me. I do not depend on them. (9.04)

And yet beings, in reality, do not remain in Me. Look at the power of My divine mystery. Though the sustainer and creator of all beings, I do not remain in them. (9.05)

Consider that all beings remain in Me as the mighty wind, moving everywhere, eternally remains in space. (9.06)

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

since human bodies are the result of biological evolution on one planet it seems highly unlikely and unreasonable that beings with humanoid forms pre-existed us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    because in post no 2 Riverwolf doubted the literal existence of Gods or devas.
    Still do.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
    Still do.
    Thats your prerogative and loss, i have made my point.
    As a Hindu they deserve my utmost respect, to kill off vedic deities as none entity is a contempt for Vedas.
    Good luck

jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

It's okay if you doubt the existence of the gods. I do not doubt, but I see no point in a useless debate on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    It's okay if you doubt the existence of the gods. I do not doubt, but I see no point in a useless debate on this subject.
    I have to agree.

I doubt simply because I have not experienced them; therefore, I have no reason to just believe that they literally exist based solely on anecdotes.

I have to agree.

I doubt simply because I have not experienced them; therefore, I have no reason to just believe that they literally exist based solely on anecdotes.

Vannakkam: This is an excellent point. I've always maintained that a person needs that one experience, maybe two that is so powerful it wreaks havoc on previous mindsets. Until you have this, the world is full of doubt. Why would you want to believe anecdotes? At least you're not denying someone else's experience, which some people do. Almost like telling an angry man, "You're not angry!"

If someone shares that they saw a murthi wink at them or they felt darshan radiating from a temple or Guru, all you can do is say, "I see." But once the murthi winks at you, well them you might change, depending on how open you are. Some people do have the ability to go to a doctor and ask what might have brought on such a hallucination. Scientists denied the Ganesha milk miracle a few years back with something called capillary action. Apparently the capillary action effect also stopped when Ganesha stopped. I found it quite laughable personally, and agree with Sahasranama. There is no point in useless debate.

Another view is the honest person view, for anecdotes. You're walking along the same road every day, and this old woman tells you what's over the hill. One day it is a pink cadillac, the next day it is a horse with foal, the next a deer, then a bearded woman on a motorcycle etc. Each day for 5 years she is right. Then she says "God exists, you know." You might want to believe her. Still you wouldn't have to.

Just curious... So when you go to temple, you feel nothing?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: This is an excellent point. I've always maintained that a person needs that one experience, maybe two that is so powerful it wreaks havoc on previous mindsets. Until you have this, the world is full of doubt. Why would you want to believe anecdotes? At least you're not denying someone else's experience, which some people do. Almost like telling an angry man, "You're not angry!"

If someone shares that they saw a murthi wink at them or they felt darshan radiating from a temple or Guru, all you can do is say, "I see." But once the murthi winks at you, well them you might change, depending on how open you are. Some people do have the ability to go to a doctor and ask what might have brought on such a hallucination. Scientists denied the Ganesha milk miracle a few years back with something called capillary action. Apparently the capillary action effect also stopped when Ganesha stopped. I found it quite laughable personally, and agree with Sahasranama. There is no point in useless debate.

Another view is the honest person view, for anecdotes. You're walking along the same road every day, and this old woman tells you what's over the hill. One day it is a pink cadillac, the next day it is a horse with foal, the next a deer, then a bearded woman on a motorcycle etc. Each day for 5 years she is right. Then she says "God exists, you know." You might want to believe her. Still you wouldn't have to.

Just curious... So when you go to temple, you feel nothing?

Aum Namasivaya
    At the moment, I don't feel anything incredibly profound while I'm in the Temple, but when I leave, I feel refreshed and cleansed. For the next week or so, I am much more spiritually aware, much more calm, and much more disciplined. I haven't been to my local Temple in about three weeks (it's difficult to get there, as I don't drive), and I can tell that my spiritual life isn't as active as it would be if I had been there, say, a few days ago. At the same time, however, when I pray at my home shrine (which is very sporadic), I feel a minor version of what I get at the Temple, which does help me greatly. If I don't take the time out to pray at my Shrine, I will get steeped in sense-pleasures.

I certainly don't deny that other people have experienced God and Gods. Because of the vast number of people who have experienced these things, I certainly don't outright deny the existence of Gods. Anecdotes may not be the best source of information, but when a large group of people reports the same thing, I recognize that something is certainly happening. Therefore, while I doubt, I don't deny. I do believe that the extraordinary is possible.

You know, doing a quick look at what capillary action is, makes me really wonder how that could occur with spoons and statues without the use of tubes. Then again, I'm no physicist, so what do I know.

At the moment, I don't feel anything incredibly profound while I'm in the Temple, but when I leave, I feel refreshed and cleansed. For the next week or so, I am much more spiritually aware, much more calm, and much more disciplined.
    Vannakkam; So from your point of view, what is it in that experience that makes you feel refreshed and cleansed? I will say it is the presence of God, but you obviously think it is something else. What?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam; So from your point of view, what is it in that experience that makes you feel refreshed and cleansed? I will say it is the presence of God, but you obviously think it is something else. What?

Aum Namasivaya
    I, too, would call it the presence of God.

When I say I don't believe literally in Gods, I mean I don't believe the Gods to be separate individuals like us. I do believe in God.

Well, technically, it's impossible to not be in the presence of God; however, I'm rarely aware of this. Being in the Temple, or being in front of my Shrine, or seeing the picture of Sri Rama as my computer desktop, reminds me of the fact. The Temple is the greatest place for this, because of the presence of the Priests and other devotees, so that the energies of love and divinity more readily flow than anywhere else I frequent.

Thread Information