Thread: -Greetings To All-

-Greetings To All-

Hi. As you can see, i'm new here. I am a former catholic and came here to learn more about Hinduism. The past few months I've been reading up on this faith and decided on my own choice/will, to take up the pratice of the faith (but sadly I don't know where to begin). I want to find a better way to understand the sacred sripture, (as reading it for the first time is overwelming to me).
    If any one has any suggestions for me, it would greatly help. Thanks a bunch!
    -AASHNA DEVI SHUKLA- ॐ नमस्ते / ॐ नमः शिवाय

Re: -Greetings To All-

Namaste Aashna,

We've already been acquainted via PM, but I thought I would give you a formal welcome to HDF.

As for reading scriptures, I highly recommend reading the Bhagavad Gita to begin with. It is relatively short and is said to contain the essence of all the Vedas. If you are having trouble understanding it, then feel free to start a thread in the Gita section of this site or you can ask me via PM.

Jai Sri Krishna

Namaste Ramakrishna,
    Thank you for the formal welcome. It is great to have someone I can talk to about the faith and ask questions too. I felt so lost at first, but now i'm starting to understand things. Thanks.
    -God Bless-

Namaste Aashna,

A visit to one of the ISKCON (Hare Krishna) temples might be a good start. They have their weekly service on Sunday evenings starting at about 5:30 in the evening. Don't know what area of CA you are in, but in the LA/OC area, there is one in Venice on Watseka Avenue and another in Laguna Beach. Once you get introduced to the basics, you can read more and branch out to whatever path within Hinduism suits your quest/personality. Good luck.

Namaste,
    Thank you for your help. I live by Riverside, so LA would be pretty far to travel. Unfourtantly there is only one temple there and I don't even know if they have services. It's The Hindu Socity Of The Inland Empire also. But I will look into ISCON (if I spelled it right).
    -May The Gods Bless You All-

Vannakam Aashna:

You will find that temples vary a lot. There are sectarian, linguistic, and geographic reasons that make each Hindu temple in America unique in it's own right. It is like a microcosm of India. There are several temples in the LA area, so it might pay to shop around if you're trying to narrow down to which of a tremendous variety of POV's you will find amongst us. Best wishes.

Aum namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namast AN,

Quote Originally Posted by -Aashna_Namaste- View Post
    Hi. As you can see, i'm new here. I am a former catholic and came here to learn more about Hinduism. The past few months I've been reading up on this faith and decided on my own choice/will, to take up the pratice of the faith (but sadly I don't know where to begin). I want to find a better way to understand the sacred sripture, (as reading it for the first time is overwelming to me).
    If any one has any suggestions for me, it would greatly help. Thanks a bunch!
    If I were giving one a suggestion to begin I would say be sure no matter what and where you choices take you , it would be wise that they include both knowledge and experience. One without the other is like a boat without water to sail on.

Knowledge feeds the mind and intellect, experience, some may call upāya (that by which one reaches one's aim , a means or expedient) brings growth of awareness and cultures not only the heart but the nervious system.

I wish you the best and hope HDF may contribute to your progress.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information