Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Rigveda, collected about 1000 BCE, has at least half a dozen Dravidian loanwords"

Re: "Rigveda, collected about 1000 BCE, has at least half a dozen Dravidian loanwords

namaste Amith.

It's not my claim that the other South Indian languages originated from Tamizh. The famous modern playwright ManonmanIyam Sundaram PiLLai in his poem 'Tamizh ThAi VAzhtthu'--an eulogy to Mother Tamizh, says "even after the languages KannaDa, Telegu, MalayALam and TuLu were born from your udaram--womb, how youthful you still remain!" I agree that this claim needs to be researched.

As you are aware, Hindus were not in the habit of writing works of history although they did write charitams--biographies, but then the history of our country can be researched well from the literary and astrological references in Hindu texts, stone and other inscriptions and mainly from the sthala purANas. Our governments are indifferent, our scholars are pedantic, and our youth are too lazy to take such pains, so they simply parrot the first-level excavations of Archaeology done by Western-mediated institutions and claim their interpretations as our history.

The life and culture of the people of ancient and earlier times are much more reflected in their thoughts and religious/literary creations than in the terra cotta or metal utensils they used to cook food or bury the dead.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Re: "Rigveda, collected about 1000 BCE, has at least half a dozen Dravidian loanwords

Dear Sri. Sai,

I am delighted to see these information you have acquired from various sources. Great.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    The life and culture of the people of ancient and earlier times are much more reflected in their thoughts and religious/literary creations than in the terra cotta or metal utensils they used to cook food or bury the dead.
    Thats true, some seek truth in gross, sthuula (Visible to the naked eye) and others in subtle, suukShma (guru vAkyA, thoughts, orally handed over scriptures and various pramanas other than pratyksha etc).
    As the truth is beyond perception, beyond words and beyond the senses no such investigations would reveal it. We can only claim it in favour our own perception.
    I would like to add a verse from AthmOpadesha Sathakam of Shri. NarayanaGuru for pondering on this thought.

Oru matham annyanu nindyam onnilOthum-
    karu aparante kanakkinu Oonamakum;
    dharayil ithinte rahassyam onnu thaan-
    ennu arivalavum bramam ennu arinjidEnam.(AthmOpadesha Sathakam(MalayAlam) 45/100)

Rules of one faith may not stand good for another one, in that each order or faith came to be established in the course of time, as a matter of fact under the influence of certain external conditions such as, climate, geographical conditions, historical events, language, racial difference, and so on, and the secret of such difference, when realized will be one and the same and then all the arguments built up on illusions will have no meaning at all.

Thanks again for enriching this thread. love

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste Amith.

It's not my claim that the other South Indian languages originated from Tamizh. The famous modern playwright ManonmanIyam Sundaram PiLLai in his poem 'Tamizh ThAi VAzhtthu'--an eulogy to Mother Tamizh, says "even after the languages KannaDa, Telegu, MalayALam and TuLu were born from your udaram--womb, how youthful you still remain!" I agree that this claim needs to be researched.

indeed. Because i have heard that tamil is a transformation of kannada owing to the different accent. And the fact that kannada has many dialects like tulu,kodava etc....
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

I can think of a few more examples.

Flower can be either puu or pushpam in Tamil. The first is the native Tamil word; the latter is a Sanskrit loanword. By the way, all Sanskrit nouns ending in a short 'a' are borrowed into Tamil in their Sanskrit accusative case (-am).

Also, 'mother' and 'father' are amma and appa in native Tamil, but mata and pita are also used, and these come from the Sanskrit.

While there are some Greek and Latin words that derive from Sanskrit, the majority of their vocabulary is not Sanskrit derived and comes from the surrounding areas. Sanskrit is much closer to Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi, Gujarati etc. By looking at some Sanskrit words, you can trace their development into other languages if you are familiar with those languages.

Sanskrit mata - Greek μητηρ (mētēr), Latin mater, German Mutter, English mother.

However, this does not mean that any of these languages have a high lexical similarity with Sanskrit. It is completely different to modern English and impossible to understand without having studied it.

Thread Information