Thread: Niyama 4 - Astikya, Faith

Niyama 4 - Astikya, Faith

Vannakkam all:

From - http://veda.wikidot.com/yama-niyama

NIYAMA 4 — Astikya, Faith

"Cultivate an unshakable faith. Believe firmly in God, Gods, guru and your path to enlightenment. Trust in the words of the masters, the scriptures and traditions. Practice devotion and sadhana to inspire experiences that build advanced faith. Be loyal to your lineage, one with your satguru. Shun those who try to break your faith by argument and accusation. Avoid doubt and despair."

I think we are headed into the tougher niyamas to practice. Personally, some are dependent upon pre-existing karmas or place of evolution of the soul. I cultivate my faith, but I did come upon it somewhat by accident. I find the second last sentence quite interesting. I've had experiences of argument, but rarely did it ever alter my faith. With the 'shun' bit you increase idea in others that "He's a nutcase". So I end up shunning any discussion, but not the person. Use the old adage, never discuss politics or religion with foe.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Niyama 4 - Astikya, Faith

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~~

namasté

I thought to add this for one's consideration...
    • āstika¹ is from asti meaning 'there is or exists' and implies one who believes in the existence of God , of another world e.g. heaven. It also means believing , pious , faithful. This faithful takes us to śraddhā.
    faith is śraddhā¹ ; śrād + dhā ; dhā = placing or putting + śrad = faith, hence putting or placing of faith. I think many of us have faith. IMHO there is something I believe is a bit more profound and that is called kratu. This is ādi śaṅkara's word he uses. It can mean a sacrificial rite or ceremony , sacrifice , yet it is also defined as resolution, determination , purpose, intention and this is how I use it.

Hence when one's will (icchā) + faith (śraddhā) are strong we enable kratu.
    Ādi śaṅkara's definition of this kratu is much stronger then just resolution. He defines it as , 'that this is so, not otherwise'. This notion that 'this is so…' is one of resolute will and firm faith, but in what? Of what one will become in a future condition. Of what one wants to become, to unfold to , over time. for the sādhu, it is the condition of mokṣa, or bhakti, or that of yoga. That is, pursuing ones spiritual status, while here on this earth.

That is why it is of great import & joy ( to me) to write and post on brahman, kaivalya, and the like. It is to discuss and comprehend the end state, the condition to pursue, to have the 'firm resolve' to achieve.

praām

words
    • āstika is also seen in āstika darśana - schools of Indian thought/philosophy ~ darśana~ that regard the veda-s as infallible.
      We would call this āstika-mata and there are 6 schools ( aḍ - darśana ) you have heard of yoga, sāṁkhya, vedānta, etc.
    • śraddhā can also be spelled śrāddha indicating faithful ; this is also known as a ceremony in honour and for the benefit of dead relatives
    Last edited by yajvan; 04 July 2010 at 11:25 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information