Namaste:

As a new and "caucasian" Hindu I am seeking seeking and devouring (I might add!) as much information as I can to learn how to practice Sanatana Dharma. As you all know, there is sooo much out there! And it is hard to know what is and what isn't valid when you're new and not blessed with anyone around you practicing or Hindu background...
I am very focused and earnest to pray and mediate properly and practice my religion in the most traditional way I can, within the confines of the United States, at least for now...pilgrimage is in the future
The amount of mantra information is enormous and it is virtually impossible to know what is true and what isn't.
My question is this: there are so many types and purposes of mantra; there also are almost just as many westernized versions of mantra that I would rather stay away from (unless they are respected and allowed as valid prayer). Western Hindu priests market mantra for finding love and wealth or as an aside, faith.
Even though mantra is treated in this way, can they be learned from these western Hindu priests at least as a starting point to begin learning mantras?
I hope my question is understood, this is very important to me!

Peace
ThouArt