Thread: leśāvidya - remains...

leśāvidya - remains...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

When one realizes brahman the upaniṣad-s say, 'those that know brahman become brahman' .

If this is so ( and I do not dispute this at all) , why are we still left in a physical frame, localized as if we were lokāyatin-s¹ ?

I have been taught that the frame remains due to leśāvidya .
    • leśa + avidya gives leśāvidya
    • leśa = a small part or portion , particle , atom , little bit or slight trace
    • avidya = ignorance
    Hence we remain in this frame due to the remains ( a small portion) of ignorance. Some small atomic part. Perhaps the awareness is perfect and stainless completely residing in the SELF/brahman, yet there are other parts perhaps that still infused with ignorance. What can this be? Where does this ignorance reside? What are the implications to this?

I look to your ideas and those based upon the śāstra-s, your instructions or keen insights if you wish to participate in this uttara¹ conversation.

praṇām

words
    • lokāyatin or lokāyata is composed of the following lokā +yata. We know this loka as 'that or the other world', a place or level.
      Yet there is another definition for this meaning ordinary life , worldly affairs , and faculty of seeing , sight.
      This seeing and sight is a macro way of saying the senses; yata means restrained , held in , held forth , kept down or limited , subdued , governed.
      So a lokāyatin is one restrained, held or kept down by the senses.
    • uttara - better , excellent ~ advanced~ ; also known as northern , upper most.
    Last edited by yajvan; 06 July 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction - ooops!
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: leśāvidya - remains...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    • leśa + avidya gives leśāvidya
    • leśa = a small part or portion , particle , atom , little bit or slight trace
    • avidya = ignorance
    Hence we remain in this frame due to the remains ( a small portion) of ignorance.
    What would be an analogy to this idea so one could get a 'feel' for this idea?

Consider a butter-ball (says my teacher)... Now this ball would not be in southern India with 100 temperatures .
    Let's say the ball was on ice and kept its shape. We pick it up in our hands and place it on the table for its use in a meal. What remains on your hands? A slight residue or film of butter. What is on your hands is leśa - a slight trace of the ball you held in your hands remains. Like that , a slight trace of ignorance remains within the frame say the wise, once the fullness of Being is part of one's daily experience.

I have some ideas on this matter but will leave it for another post, and see if any one wishes to offer an opinion or insight on this conversation so far.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information