Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New devotee question!

Re: New devotee question!

Quote Originally Posted by xAtlasx View Post
    Hey guys!

I'm pretty new at Hinduism being a convert and all, but one of the things that I read on a site (I can't remember where exactly) is that a method of Bhakti, when a devotee doesn't have the funds or the space, you can sit in meditation and visualize your puja in your mind.

Ya know, sing praises visualize a ritual space in front of you offer God the flowers and pastes etc.

Is this an accepted practice?

Does anyone have any tips?
    Please try this link as my Reply:

Hindu Dharma Forums > Sanatana Dharma > Meditation Devotion (Meditation)

Your brother jasdir.

Vannakkam jasdir:

This is just a reply to inform you a bit more about how HDF operates. I noticed you were replying to an older post. Of course there is nothing wrong with resurrecting old posts, but I feel you may not be aware of how this works. In the top left corner of each post is the date of the last post. Visitors to HDF come and go, so sometime you will be responding to someone who has left and therefore you shouldn't expect a reply. The way to find even more out is go to the 'Member's list' tab where you can look up any member ever, and see when there last visit was. In this particular thread, atlas's last visit was August 5th, so its fairly reasonable to assume he won't be returning for awhile, if at all.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with responding to an older post, just don't expect a reply or even expect that the person you are addressing would read it.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastren ji, Thank you so much for the INFORMATION.

Your brother jasdir.

Hey guys!

I'm pretty new at Hinduism being a convert and all, but one of the things that I read on a site (I can't remember where exactly) is that a method of Bhakti, when a devotee doesn't have the funds or the space, you can sit in meditation and visualize your puja in your mind.

Ya know, sing praises visualize a ritual space in front of you offer God the flowers and pastes etc.

Dear xAtlasxYes,

it is an accepted practice.

But, there is no clear boundary to explain this practice.
    But, letsТ try to make a typical explanation:

Capacity to starve when there is no food
    Capacity to walk when there is no transport
    Capacity to command even when there is no power in hand
    Capacity to communicate through telepathy when there are no mobile phones.
    Capacity to live nude when there are no cloths.

In the absence of various mechanisms or objects, or aptitudes or rights, the above qualities are exhibited by persons of great will power alone.

So, we must realize that in the absence of funds or space, we can certainly accomplish 'puja in mind' if we are resplendent with will power.

Imagine, we cook in a very well equipped kitchen and eat food, which is similar to performing rituals adhering to Vidhi-sacred precept.

We also cook in a semi equipped kitchen and eat food, which is similar to performing rituals NOT adhering to the Vidhi-sacred precept.

In both cases, the tatwa of food-hunger/energy- led you to the kitchen to cook and consume it.

Then , manasa puja(puja in mind) is an exercise where you eliminate your initiative to cook or eat, satiate the tatwa of food, by generating energy , through many various means.

Well, as stated before, these are characteristic of people with great strength of mind.

well, I am late(reply), better late than never. Love

Hey guys!

Beautiful question, my Guru says your prayer is your bhaav...emotion..feelings..

Lord himself is Unconditional Love.

I feel internal pooja, visualising all the pooja in mind is wonderful BUT it has to have bhakti emotions and devotion towards the diety..

Blessed be

namaste everyone.

Here is an inspiring episode narrated in the Tamizh work 'Periya PurANam' dealing with the lives of 63 shaiva nAyanmArs.

Saint PUsala nAyanAr constructed an entire Shiva temple in his mind and fixed a day for its kumbhAbhiShekam, and BhagavAn Shiva attended it! Read this wonderful story here (story no.3):
    http://www.nchtuk.org/content.php?id=168
    рд░рддреНрдирд╛рдХрд░рдзреМрддрдкрджрд╛рдВ рд╣рд┐рдорд╛рд▓рдпрдХрд┐рд░реАрдЯрд┐рдиреАрдореН ред
    рдмреНрд░рд╣реНрдорд░рд╛рдЬрд░реНрд╖рд┐рд░рд░рддреНрдирд╛рдвреНрдпрд╛рдВ рд╡рдиреНрджреЗ рднрд╛рд░рддрдорд╛рддрд░рдореН рее

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste everyone.

Here is an inspiring episode narrated in the Tamizh work 'Periya PurANam' dealing with the lives of 63 shaiva nAyanmArs.
    Vannakkam Saidevo: This is off topic but ...I've read the Periya Puranam as you may have guessed. I find some of the stories a bit 'off' in that they deal with violence or adultery. I was wondering how you understand them ..as illustrations of points, or as actual true stories. Some of them are pretty adult in content, and I don't think I'd use too many as teaching tools. The Tirukkurral would be better for that purpose.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Is it acceptable practice with you? You're the one that counts.
    EM,

This is not the right start to sAdhanA or Hinduism in general. It is a big misinterpretation that "one can do whatever one wishes and that is acceptable". When it comes to sAdhanA, there are specifics and for good reason. They are guides in helping us become centered. If one feels like they can have a beer and meditate at the same time, we should be wary of such folks and also warn them against such dubious behavior.

Of course, in this particular case, it is not as stark but there are traditions that are equally vital as the philosophy in Sanatana Dharma.

We must not ignore the Karma KAndA of the VedAs just to study the Jnana KAndA; they are not mutually exclusive.

This New Age gobble-de-gook of "do whatever you want" is highly dangerous and is filled with self-indulgence, not self-discipline.

Namaskar.

Vannakkam TTA: I agree with you. In this case the fellow who asked the question (and hasn't been around for awhile as per my other post) asked a specific question regarding visualising when it is not possible to actually do a certain practise. For example, when I am in a terribly crowded temple crowd, and it is time to prostrate, there is insufficient room. I touch my hands to the floor, and visualise it.

I don't think I've ever said, "Go ahead and do whatever you want." There are rules to follow. I get as much disheartened at watered down SD as you do , I believe.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information