Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Japa Mala*

Question *Japa Mala*

I was wondering, If anyone knows how to make a Japa Mala? I'm new to prayer and meditation and want to make one for myself.
    -AASHNA DEVI SHUKLA- ॐ नमस्ते / ॐ नमः शिवाय

Re: *Japa Mala*

Making isn't the hard part, sourcing the materials will be. You haven't let on to your tradition yet, so I'll just state that to make malas for Shivite traditions you will need rudraksha beads and Tulsi wood beads for Vaishnava traditions, I'm not sure what others use.

Individual Tulsi beads are hard to find, I've yet to find any myself. Rudraksha bead can be found individualally but for the price of buying 109 beads retail will cost mor than just buying a mala. I understand you might have a budget, but honestly the malas are the least expensive. I purchased my Tulsi malas for around 9 euros including shipping from India. There are cheaper ones out there if you don;t mind splinters and bits of bark still left on.

All I have is pony beads will that do? I'm on a budget and don't have a job
    -AASHNA DEVI SHUKLA- ॐ नमस्ते / ॐ नमः शिवाय

Vannakkam Aashna:

I see no reason why you couldn't go against tradition and use any kind of bead. Of course there is a tradition. I am a staunch Saiva, but I use some other kind of mala besides rudraksha. I know it's not tulsi either but it is a mala. Can't even remember where I got it.

The best thing about seeing a mala is if its been used a lot. If you meet someone with a beat up old book that you figure they bought new, then its a good indicator of how much its been read. Nothing worse than seeing brand new books of scripture on someone's shelf.

It is essentially a counter for 108. If you do go shopping, hit the Indian stores first. They are probably cheaper then western stores selling Indian stuff as 'art'. They are likely to be more authentic as well. At least the store owner will know what it is. Or if you ever have a friend or acquaintance going to India, have them bring you one back. There it'll be less than a dollar.

In the meantime, make your own. Another way to count is to shift coins from one pile to another. 108 pennies for example. I've seen several different devotees use this method for 108 circumambulations of our temple on the inside or for counting 108 prostrations. You could easily do that for japa.

Basically, I'd hate to see someone put off a religious practise simply because they don't have the 'right' materials. The only right material you need is your own inner mind.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Basically, I'd hate to see someone put off a religious practise simply because they don't have the 'right' materials. The only right material you need is your own inner mind.
    I agree which is why I'm going to suggest using nothing at all! Honestly love if you have at least 3 fingers and a thumb on each hand this is all you need. No need for malas at all! How's that for cheap?

I'll come back with a diagram to show how to do this

Ok here is the long and short of it.

Your right hand, will be the small counter (marked with numbers) and the Left hand is your big counter (marked with letters).

First position: Sit cross legged, Lay your hands on your lap, with the backs of your wrists resting on your upper thigh and palms up. Place thumb R on the tip of the little finger "1" and on the left hand place your thumb "L" on the tip of the little finger marked "A".

Once you are in position, say your mantra. At the end of the mantra slide thumb "R" down to the next digit of the little finger marked "2". Repeat mantra and move down again, repeat mantra. Now move your thumb "R" to the tip of the ring finger at "4" wash, rinse, repeat until you finish your mantra at "12"

Upon completing the mantra at "12" simultaneously move your "R" thumb back to "1" and slide your "L" thumb down to the next digit on the left hand marked "B".

Continue until both thumbs are on "12" and "I"
    Last edited by Darji; 07 July 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Vannakkam Darji:

I count 81 this way. One of the hands needs to have a 12 I think. Just using elementary math here, no Hinduism involved.

Aum Namasivaya

oops this is what happens when you do stuff in a hurry! will fix in a sec

SOZ ALL

FIXED!

I knew something was off, I just thought it was because I was tired.

Also, if you chant "Rama" or "Ram" forget this method and make or buy a mala, unless you have piano playing hands.

Vannakkam: And now you are obliged to say. "EM, you were right and I was wrong." Such instances are so rare for me I need to hear it. Deep psychological insecurity.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information