Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christianity & Me

Light Christianity & Me

Namaste,

Most of you know I were christian, but I also had really big hatred to Christianity. I thought I would never be tolerate to Christianity, but then I found out my friend is mormon & his faith is important to him. That guy is really good person & he could always make me feel better. When my ex-BFF (an atheist) told me how bad friend I am, how bad influence I am (Well I got into fights with my mom, cause she wanted to do something. My mom never liked her.) & how she can't understand how my mom could be there for me (well, she does things behind her parents' back, my mom knows everything about me, mom's like my best friend) and then my friend made me feel so much better, even though we didn't talk for about year. Maybe Mormonism is different than mainstream Christianity, but suddenly I felt that different people really need different faith. I love Sanathana Dharma & I'm proud to be Hindu, but now I'm over of making fun of Christianity. And my friend, I guess, is good influence on me, cause now I really understand how beautiful religion can be in anyone's eyes (as I live in country where almost everyone is non-religious, it's strange) & how beautiful to is Sanathana Dharma.

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice
    Last edited by Alise; 09 July 2010 at 05:29 AM.
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

Re: Christianity & Me

We shouldn't make fun of christianity. But often even in the disagreement of the dogma, they find that this is intolerable.

My most beloved teacher was my Mormon elder/handler as a child. Despite the fact I refused to be baptised he still loved and helped me.

I do believe some divine helpers come to us through the christians. Especially if we are born amongst them. Helpers would have no choice in most cases, especially where the areas are very remote.

It's true Mormons take care of each other to the extreme...watching over each family...even when a person is ill...they will pay bills...feed the children...do the laundry. Very compassionate folks.

But, just as other forms of christianity, there are good people and bad.

Telling the stories on here of my Elder who was so beloved, sparked me to go find him last month. I found a page dedicated to him on Facebook...he died the week I found him one year prior. I made sure to tell his widow that before her husband married, he was a father to many children...caring for each of us so wonderfully.

I can't help but think, that somewhere Siva gave him a special blessing for being such a wonderful spirit on this earth. Perhaps he still watches this fool blunder through this lifetime.

I told my children, when he died...I was so happy for him. That now he would be free from the christian dogma and perhaps be born back into his truer form. Back into the truth of Sanatana Dharma.

Perhaps I will be fortunate enough to die before he is once again deployed...and will be able to embrace him in gratitude for caring so much for me.

Attachment 582

That's him and I on the right.
    Last edited by NayaSurya; 10 September 2010 at 09:04 PM.

Namaste,

There are good Christians and there are bad Christians. Just like how there are good Hindus and there are bad Hindus. I personally know several Christians who say that anybody who doesn't believe in Christ is going to hell, and I also know a few Christians who say that is is possible for non-Christians to attain salvation.

As a whole, I just try to leave them alone. That is as long as they leave me alone. Naya brings up great points that I never thought of before. Really the only Christians I have a problem with are the fundamentalists who think that everybody else is going to hell and who are out to convert everybody. The "moderate" Christians are okay, and I personally believe they are capable of living good enough lives in this life to attain moksha in their next life, or maybe even this one.

Jai Sri Krishna

Mormons are quite different from "regular" Christians - so much so that most Christian denominations recognise Mormonism as a separate religion and not part of Christianity (the same is true with regard to Jehovah's Witnesses as well). For example:
    • Mormons believe that God was once a human - Christians believe that God has always existed
    • Mormons believe that God has a body of flesh and bone - Christians believe that God is a spirit
    • Mormons believe that God is married and has spirit wives with which he produces spirit babies who then come to earth and take bodies - Christians believe that God is not married
    • Mormons believe that they can become gods and rule over their own worlds (if they follow certain regulations) - Christians believe that only God is God and that man can never become God
    • Mormons believe that the Book of Mormon (supposedly "translated" by their "prophet Joseph Smith with the aid of magic glasses) is as authoritative as the Bible - Christians believe that the Bible alone (Protestant) or the Bible and Tradition (Catholic and Orthodox) are the only source(s) of authority
    • Mormons do not drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or consume caffeine - Christians have no such restrictions
    Mormons are generally extremely friendly and outgoing - two of them said hi to me in a supermarket once. They are like this to lure people into their religion.

Good to hear! While I'm all for lodging legitimate criticism, I don't think it's typically a good idea to make fun of someone else's beliefs or religion. We all have negative thoughts and bitterness that we tend to cling to (I know I do, at any rate). Glad to hear you're letting go of yours.

Namaste,

with making fun of, I meant fundementalists, I didn't make fun of Christianity as whole. Of course, that's not good to do. I regret it a lot.

And difference between Christianity & Mormonism, was not meant as in beliefs, but how to act towards other.

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice
    Siva Yogaswami used to say, "It takes courage to be happy all the time."

But its lots of fun to poke at xtianity and islam.

Just kidding... (or am I? )

Yeah I'm "okay" with xtians and xtianity as long as they dont start publizing their xtian-ness or xtianity. Same as with islam I guess...

Because I dont like to brush my "Hindu"-ness on everyone everywhere, so they shouldnt either.

Xtians and mozlems are generally both annoying when they start evaluating others based on their own religion as being the most superior/what religion ought to be.

Xtians are annoying and comical

mozlems are annoying and scary

Of course I'm still okay with xtians, and I prefer them over mozlems.

So far all of my ex-girlfriends who are Chinese are either xtian or "free thinkers".

One who was a roman catholic forced me to accept catholicism *sigh*... thats a whole story on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAlisija View Post
    Namaste,

Most of you know I were christian, but I also had really big hatred to Christianity. I thought I would never be tolerate to Christianity, but then I found out my friend is mormon & his faith is important to him. That guy is really good person & he could always make me feel better. When my ex-BFF (an atheist) told me how bad friend I am, how bad influence I am (Well I got into fights with my mom, cause she wanted to do something. My mom never liked her.) & how she can't understand how my mom could be there for me (well, she does things behind her parents' back, my mom knows everything about me, mom's like my best friend) and then my friend made me feel so much better, even though we didn't talk for about year. Maybe Mormonism is different than mainstream Christianity, but suddenly I felt that different people really need different faith. I love Sanathana Dharma & I'm proud to be Hindu, but now I'm over of making fun of Christianity. And my friend, I guess, is good influence on me, cause now I really understand how beautiful religion can be in anyone's eyes (as I live in country where almost everyone is non-religious, it's strange) & how beautiful to is Sanathana Dharma.

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice
    Somehow this does not compute. A person who has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior has love in his heart for all people.

Flowers are beautiful but they can't save you from committing sin.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggin View Post
    Somehow this does not compute. A person who has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior has love in his heart for all people.
    LOL. You have come here yourself with hate in your heart. Proselytism is a far greater sin than anything you accuse others of committing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggin View Post

Flowers are beautiful but they can't save you from committing sin.
    Well to be fair, she said she hates Christianity, not Christians.

Thread Information