Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Isavasya Upanisad

  1. #1
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    219

    Isavasya Upanisad

    Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Namaste,
    Just wanted to share the first mantra of this most wonderful Upanishad.

    The Rsi of is Svayambhuva Manu. The Lord Hari (Visnu), known as Yaja for being the Lord of all sacrifices, is the Devata. The meter is anustubh

    Om Isavasyamidam sarvam yatkica jagatyam jagat
    tena tyaktena bhujitha ma grdhah kasyasvid dhanam 1

    idam sarvam = all this (entire universe); Isavasyam = Isasya avasyam = Isasya avasayogyam = pervaded by Isa, the Lord Hari; yat kicha = also whatsoever, and whatever there may be; jagatyam = in the primordial nature; jagat = the world;

    tena = by Him ; tyaktena = wealth granted, allotted, given; bhujitha = do experience, enjoy; ma grdhah = do not crave for, do not seek; kasyasvid = any one else's; dhanam = wealth. \

    This entire universe is pervaded by the Lord Hari, for the reason that it is dependent upon primordial nature, which in its turn is also pervaded by Him. He alone is thus independent. For this reason, enjoy whatever is given to you by Him, and do not seek wealth from any other source (since Hari alone is independent, do not worship others such as kings in hopes of wealth).

    I thought perhaps you would enjoy this... this is one of best translations I have read in some time...If you have further interest, http://www.dvaita.org/sources/shruti/translation.html
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  2. #2

    Unhappy Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Forgive me, but I am appalled by this interpretation, even somewhat agitated.

    How come, Isavasyam = Isasya + avasyam?
    Where is Lord Hari, or any other Lord for that matter, in this verse?

    But never mind, I even read one interpretation, that reads:
    "God only OWN the world" ......... OWN ??????

    Any ways, Here is my try to explore this verse in next post. I'd love if someone with proficiency in Sanskrit will help me out.

    Have a good day,

  3. #3

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    ॐ ईशावास्यमिदं सर्वं यत्किञ्च जगत्यां जगत् ।
    तेन त्यक्तेन भुञ्जीथा मा गृधः कस्यस्विद्धनम् ॥ 1 ॥
    aum isaavaasyamidam sarvam yatkincha jagatyaam jagat

    tena tyaktena bhunjithaa ma gridhah kasyasviddhanam
    Isa (ईश) - God
    avasyam (अवश्यम्) - Certainly
    vasyam (वास्यम्) - Resides/Lives
    idam (इदम्) - This
    sarvam (सर्वम्) - All
    yatkincha (यत्किञ्च) - yad + kinchitah (यद् + किञ्चितः) - "Though little"/"As little"/"However little"
    jagatyaam (जगत्याम्) - "Of World" or Worldly
    jagat (जगत) - World/Universe

    tena (तेन) - Thus/Therefore
    tyaktena (त्यक्तेन) - Abandon, Give up
    bhunjithaa (भुञ्जीथा) - Enjoy (ed)/Entertain (ed)
    maa (मा) - Do Not
    gridhah (गृधः) - Greed, Crave
    kasyasvid (कस्यस्विद) - kasya + svid (कस्य + स्विद्) - "Whose Ever" or Whoever's
    dhanam (धनम्) - Wealth
    Now let look at each major word one by one and draw the meaning:

    Isaavaasyam (ईशावास्यम्): This word might have two translations; Isa + avasyam (ईश + अवश्यम्) or Isaa + vaasyam (ईशा + वास्यम्). First translation Isa + avasyam, means "God indeed" or "Certainly God" (I am using the word "God" just for general understanding, it is not intended to any specific traditional-religious means); whereas second translation Isaa + vaasyam, means "God resides/lives". Although both translation are pointing towards somewhat similar meaning, but my personal view goes with the first one for two major reasons, first if we take second meaning then for "God" it uses Isaa (ईशा), and Isaa is not a word, it is just Isa (ईश) (although this same logic goes against avashyam in first translation). The second major argument is the invocation verse of this Upanishad, purnamadah ....... ; in that verse it is clearly stated purna+midam (पूर्ण + मिदम्), means "this IS absolute/whole/complete". Thus this word might be just affirming the first invocation verse, by saying "God indeed" or "Certainly God". But everyone is free to choose any meaning.

    idam (इदम्): This; no elaboration needed, just leaving it on "THIS" will do.

    yatkincha (यत्किञ्च): This word is made by two words: yad + kinchitah (यद् + किञ्चितः). yad can be translated as Though {as in yad-api (यदपि) - Even though}; and kinchitah means small, few, little.

    jagatyaam (जगत्याम्): "Of World" or Worldly (or Sensible ?)

    jagat (जगत): World/Universe (or Sensible reality ?)

    tyaktena (त्यक्तेन): Abandon, Give up. This word is derived from tyakta (त्यक्त), that means Abandoned.

    bhunjithaa (भुञ्जीथा): Enjoy(ed)/Entertain(ed). This word is one of the key word. If it means Enjoy/Entertain, then the whole meaning is quite different; and if it means Enjoyed/Entertained, then meaning goes different.

    gridhah (गृधः): Greed, Crave. Something like "be craved". More specific translation will be needed.

    kasyasvid (कस्यस्विद): This word is again made by two words; kasya + svid (कस्य + स्विद्); where kasya means Whose, and svid is affirming, thus making the meaning as, "Whose Ever" or Whoever's. Certainly this "whoever's" includes "self's".


    Based on the above translations, we can draw these meanings:



    Meaning 1: ("Isaavaasyam" = God indeed, and "bhunjithaa" = Enjoy) - Explaining to live and enjoy without being attached.
    This all is God indeed, however little/small worldly world;
    Thus abandon (and) enjoy, do not be craved by whoever's wealth.

    Meaning 2: ("Isaavaasyam" = God resides, and "bhunjithaa" = Enjoy) - Explaining to live and enjoy without being attached.
    God resides in this all, however little/small worldly world;
    Thus abandon (and) enjoy, do not be craved by whoever's wealth.



    Meaning 3: ("Isaavaasyam" = God indeed, and "bhunjithaa" = Enjoyed) - Driving to Sannyaasa
    This all is God indeed, however little/small worldly world;
    Thus abandon enjoyed, do not be craved by whoever's wealth.


    Meaning 4: ("Isaavaasyam" = God resides, and "bhunjithaa" = Enjoyed) - Driving to Sannyaasa
    God resides in this all, however little/small worldly world;
    Thus abandon enjoyed, do not be craved by whoever's wealth.

    My personal prejudice is with the meaning 1 for the reason that only in this Upanishad, that ultimate (परम्) (Brahm or Paramatma or God or whatever...) is denoted as Isa (ईश). Isa is the root word of the word Ishwar (ईश्वर), most popular translation of God in contemporary Hindu society. Most noteworthy thing is this same word Isa is also the root of Aishwarya (एश्वर्य) which roughly means, Riches, Wealth, Prosperity. Now an Upanishad talking about prosperity will hardly encourage for Sannyasa. It is also not convincing that at fist phrase it will call "everything is God" or "God resides in everything", and in later phrase it will ask to abandon it and go away. But certainly this is my personal view.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    Italy
    Age
    34
    Posts
    631
    Rep Power
    165

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Namaste all.
    Now I will copy the whole Isavasya Upanishad translated by Vidyavachaspati V. Panoli.
    By http://www.advaita.it/library/isavasya.htm
    Om ! That is full; this is full, (for) from the full the full (indeed) arises. When the full is taken from the full, what remains is full indeed. Om ! Peace ! Peace ! Peace !

    1. Om. All this should be covered by the Lord, whatsoever moves on the earth. By such a renunciation protect (thyself). Covet not the wealth of others.
    2. By performing karma in this world (as enjoined by the scriptures) should one yearn to live a hundred years. Thus action does not bind thee, the doer. There is no other way than this.
    3. Those worlds of Asuras (demons) are enshrouded by blinding gloom. Those who are the slayers of the Self go to them after death.
    4. Unmoving, It is one, faster than the mind. The senses cannot reach It, for It proceeds ahead. Remaining static It overtakes others that run. On account of Its presence, Matarsiva (the wind) conducts the activities of beings.
    5. It moves; It moves not. It is far; It is near. It is within all; It is without all.
    6. He who perceives all beings in the Self alone, and the Self in all beings, does not entertain any hatred on account of that perception.
    7. When a man realises that all beings are but the Self, what delusion is there, what grief, to that perceiver of oneness?
    8. That (Self) is all-pervading, radiant, bodiless, soreless, without sinews, pure, untainted by sin, the all-seer, the lord of the mind, transcendent and self-existent. That (Self) did allot in proper order to the eternal Prajapatis known as samvalsara (year) their duties.
    9. Those who worship avidya (karma born of ignorance) go to pitch darkness, but to a greater darkness than this go those who are devoted to Vidya (knowledge of the Devatas).
    10. Different indeed, they say, is the result (attained) by vidya and different indeed, they say, is the result (attained) by avidya. Thus have we heard from the wise who had explained it to us.
    11. He who knows both vidya and avidya together, transcends mortality through avidya and reaches immortality through vidya.
    12. To pitch darkness they go who worship the Unmanifested (Prakriti). To a greater darkness than this go those who are devoted to the Manifested (Hiranyagarbha).
    13. Different indeed, they say, is the result (attained) by the worship of the Manifested and different indeed, they say, is the result (attained) by the worship of the Unmanifested. Thus have we heard from the wise who had explained it to us.
    14. He who knows both the Unmanifested and the destructible (Hiranyagarbha) together, transcends death by the (worship of) the destructible and attains immortality by the (worship of ) the Unmanifested.
    15. The face of the Truth (ie., Purusha in the solar orb) is veiled by a bright vessel. Mayst thou unveil it, O Sun, so as to be perceived by me whose dharma is truth.
    16. O nourisher, pilgrim of the solitude, controller, absorber (of all rasas), offspring of Prajapati, cast away thy rays, gather them up and give up thy radiating brilliance. That form of thine, most graceful, I may behold. He, the Purusha (in the solar orb), I am.
    17. Let (my) vital air (prana) now attain the immortal Air (all-pervading Self); then let this body be reduced to ashes. Om, O mind, remember remember that which has been done, O mind, remember remember that which has been done.
    18. O Fire, O Deva, knower of all our actions or all our knowledge, lead us by the good path for enjoying the fruits of actions. Liberate us from our deceitful sins. We offer thee ever more our words of adoration.


    Om ! That is full; this is full, (for) from the full the full (indeed) arises. When the full is taken from the full, what remains is full indeed. Om ! Peace ! Peace ! Peace !
    Note:this Upanishad is contained in the Sukla-Yajur-Veda.

    Regards,
    Orlando.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Posts
    640
    Rep Power
    105

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Quote Originally Posted by Santosh Gairola View Post
    How come, Isavasyam = Isasya + avasyam?
    Where is Lord Hari, or any other Lord for that matter, in this verse?
    Namaste Santosh,

    This particular site from which the translation was extracted is a Madhva Vaishnava site. Naturally, the translations are infused with Madhvas dvaita (tattvavada) philosophy, wherein Isa = God = Hari. But, you're correct. The Isavasya does not belong to any sect. It simply says the entire creation is pervaded by the Lord.

    OM Shanti,
    A.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,193
    Rep Power
    365

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Namaste,
    Just wanted to share the first mantra of this most wonderful Upanishad.

    The Rsi of is Svayambhuva Manu. The Lord Hari (Visnu), known as Yaja for being the Lord of all sacrifices, is the Devata. The meter is anustubh

    Om Isavasyamidam sarvam yatkica jagatyam jagat
    tena tyaktena bhujitha ma grdhah kasyasvid dhanam 1

    idam sarvam = all this (entire universe); Isavasyam = Isasya avasyam = Isasya avasayogyam = pervaded by Isa, the Lord Hari; yat kicha = also whatsoever, and whatever there may be; jagatyam = in the primordial nature; jagat = the world;

    tena = by Him ; tyaktena = wealth granted, allotted, given; bhujitha = do experience, enjoy; ma grdhah = do not crave for, do not seek; kasyasvid = any one else's; dhanam = wealth. \

    This entire universe is pervaded by the Lord Hari, for the reason that it is dependent upon primordial nature, which in its turn is also pervaded by Him. He alone is thus independent. For this reason, enjoy whatever is given to you by Him, and do not seek wealth from any other source (since Hari alone is independent, do not worship others such as kings in hopes of wealth).

    I thought perhaps you would enjoy this... this is one of best translations I have read in some time...If you have further interest, http://www.dvaita.org/sources/shruti/translation.html


    Sorry,

    This was the first sectarian translation I encountered. Isa (the absolute here) is, I don't know why, termed Hari.

    Incidentally Somo is Hari in Rig.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    219

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Santosh Gairola View Post
    Forgive me, but I am appalled by this interpretation, even somewhat agitated.
    Namaste Santosh,
    I am in hopes that your agitation is somewhat relieved? The notion of this sutra (valli, mantra) is to rejoice.
    That this whole universe is covered by HIM. Thank you for your insights to this most notable passage. Could it be the 'issue' is how we call 'HIM' out , yes?
    How I see it ( just my view from my teachings) "Ekam sad, vipra bahudha vadanti" or Truth is one, sages call it variously. Rig Veda I.164.46
    I guess from my side, I have no issues with Lord as Hari as this is my orientation and delight. My connection is that He covers all, and this is how I see Lord Hari as Vsnu, all pervading.

    Thank you for your post,
    Pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  8. #8
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,193
    Rep Power
    365

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste Santosh,

    This particular site from which the translation was extracted is a Madhva Vaishnava site. Naturally, the translations are infused with Madhvas dvaita (tattvavada) philosophy, wherein Isa = God = Hari. But, you're correct. The Isavasya does not belong to any sect. It simply says the entire creation is pervaded by the Lord.

    OM Shanti,
    A.

    Namaskar

    Contemplating a bit, I find it rather difficult to appreciate that for Isha (the absolute) pervading is required, since this EKO is sarvam as well.

    Pervading, I feel, is a perspective of the divided view.

    YMMV (borrowed phrase).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Posts
    640
    Rep Power
    105

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee View Post
    Contemplating a bit, I find it rather difficult to appreciate that for Isha (the absolute) pervading is required, since this EKO is sarvam as well.

    Pervading, I feel, is a perspective of the divided view.

    YMMV (borrowed phrase).
    Yes I can see and appreciate your point here. To pervade, there is the requirement of the Pervader and the pervaded, i.e. dualism. What would be an advaitic translation of this same passage?

    Regards,
    A.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    March 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,193
    Rep Power
    365

    Re: Isavasya Upanisad

    Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Yes I can see and appreciate your point here. To pervade, there is the requirement of the Pervader and the pervaded, i.e. dualism. What would be an advaitic translation of this same passage?

    Regards,
    A.

    Actually, to me, it is very simple and simple meanings are apparently not very attractive. Tyaktena definitely is not "Granted" as shown from the dvaita site. Tyaktena is "Abandoning"

    Isa (ईश) - God

    avasyam (अवश्यम्) - Certainly

    vasyam (वास्यम्) - Resides/Lives

    idam (इदम्) - This

    sarvam (सर्वम्) - All

    yatkincha (यत्किञ्च) - yad + kinchitah (यद् + किञ्चितः) - "Though little"/"As little"/"However little"

    jagatyaam (जगत्याम्) - "Of World" or Worldly

    jagat (जगत) - World/Universe


    tena (तेन) - Thus/Therefore

    tyaktena (त्यक्तेन) - Abandon, Give up

    bhunjithaa (भुञ्जीथा) - Enjoy (ed)/Entertain (ed)

    maa (मा) - Do Not

    gridhah (गृधः) - Greed, Crave

    kasyasvid (कस्यस्विद) - kasya + svid (कस्य + स्विद्) - "Whose Ever" or Whoever's

    dhanam (धनम्) - Wealth
    All this is certainly Isa (the absolute), living in even the smallest thing. Abandon, thus, the worldliness of jagat --- . Do not crave/covet wealth (or anything) as the other (or of the other). (Note: Since there is no true other)


    Desire God alone. That is the meaning I get. And it is true since any other desire would be painful eventually. However, this is the tremendous potentiality of Vak -- the meaning gets moulded as per the perspective.

    Regards

    Om Namah Shivayya

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •