Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: How does devotion to multiple gods work?

Re: How does devotion to multiple gods work?

My point of view is - for a person leading normal human life he needs to come across various kinds of pinnacles of problems... depending upon the situation we are obsessed to pray and offer worshipping with proper devotion to the form of suitable God, apart from one having the personal ishta deva God.., Hence devotion to multiple Gods in Hinduism is essential part of way of life (Many means different forms of the same One Ultimate God manifested Himself for different purposes like creating sustaining & dissolving the universe etc)

example - in astrology - period of troubles you need to pray to shani god..
    while you need to start new tasks/business - you pray to lord Ganesh....
    If you need good education - Pray to Godess Saraswati
    If you need good wealth (not just money) - Pray to Godesss Lakshmi Puja
    If you need free from karma to attain moksha - Pray to Gods Shiva & Vishnu
    If you need power of knowing - Pray to God Kumara ShaNmukhar
    If you need for good disciplined life - pray to God Ayyapar
    like that - I am not an expert but I am trying to show a glimpse why a person need to have devotion to many Gods....

Lord Rama lead a example life to human beings and He indeed showed devotion to multiple Gods... He prayed to Lord Shiva at Rameshwara before He started to Lanka to kill the enemy demon king Ravana.... He prayed to Sun God before the last day battle... (He was particularly instructed by Sage Rishi to pray to Sun God to win the battle otherwise it would not be possible... and He did So...) This I how beleive about what I said earlier...

But for Meditative praying - you need to concentrate with devotion to one particular form of God - I think so because you can easily focus your mind on Ishta deva for you achieve better results in mind controlling... you can do that by chanting God's name by japa or repeating God's mantra like wise.

Namaste,

Devotion, that is, complete trust and faith (shraddha), even in one person is difficult, let alone GOD. Thus, it is akin to asking, why don't we take all majors in college? It is simply a matter of our ability to receive the knowledge and grace.

Sri Ramana Maharishi gives a good analogy, as always. He said those who bring a cup will get a cupful of grace from Iswara. Those with a bucket, will get a bucketful. It is completely dependent on your ability to receive the grace of GOD that determines how much you can "devote" yourself to.

Thus, with our limited abilities as humans, we must focus our energies on one deity, hence iSta-devatA, so that we may receive whatever is given.

This is also a good time to point out that the notion of Krishna's love for the Gopis. He is the Supreme and thus he had no limits as to how much love he could pour forth on his devotees. Morons and half-wits, aka abrahamics, point to this example to denigrate Sri Krishna.

The Supreme is infinite, our ego-self is not. Thus, real devotion to multiple deities is not only difficult, but not common either.

Namaskar.

Namaste,

I've discovered this thread a bit late, I see. It's a shame I did not find it sooner, because this was a topic that had been bothering me for some time as I developed my bhakti yoga more intensely just before I gave it a break. Before this, I had never prayed exclusively to Ganesha, although it was a tendency of mine to go to Him for help with secular problems. I did pray to Shiva, Krishna, Rama, Lakshmi and Durga from time to time, but as I knew only a handful of these Deva's epithets and special mantras, I mostly devoted myself to actual worship of Ganesha. Formal worship is not as important as sincere longing in your heart, but I had a fussy way of disciplining myself into learning the proper ways of addressing God.

While my bhakti was no less sincere than it is now, its stance on what it meant to worship a particular form was severely skewed in many ways. Threads on this board entitled "Who is the Supreme: Shiva or Vishnu?" did not help very much on this either! It's a warning to those who spend too much time thinking about this. In arguing about the Lord's various ornaments, names (and indeed S/He has many!) and appearances, we are forgetting that the most important thing is just to surrender at His/Her feet with love and pure child-like devotion to one's parent. I had this silly notion that if on some particular day I called to mind Sri Krishna and spontaneously praised Him in my heart before invoking Ganesha I was wronging my ishta-devata by not paying His aspect dues first. How juvenile, right? But I could not help but feel this, and I realise now that it was a very bad habit to nurse. I've been trying to train myself to be less discriminating in this respect, but it is something we all have to overcome ourselves.

While I was mostly leaning towards Saivism at the time, for me Lord Shiva is more abstract (and in a way, a better focus for deeper meditation) form of Saguna Brahman and so it has worked out marvellously for a time. It is the reason I use His mantra for work, passing the time in queues, and in proper japa meditation. While I've always considered Ganesha my ishta-devata, I will admit that for me He seems more and more to be there as the "psychic operator" to my real ishta-devata, Divine Mother. How have I come to this conclusion? It is as others have pointed out on this topic - intuition, being drawn back to the darshan of a particular Deva almost without your knowing time and again. Ganesha has been nudging me into the arms of His beloved mother where He knows my tears of devotion flow the fastest.

But it's what I love about the devotional part of worship in Sanatana Dharma. There is no fixed number of Devas you must worship, no rules about what sect you must decide to adhere to. Separating the aspects on the basis of worship for achievement, money matters and moksha is not a problem in my eyes, but it should not distract one from the devotion felt, from developing real bhakti for God. Be sincere in your heart, and love the Lord in His many forms, as Father or Mother. Even in His humblest manifestation, He ever listens and cares for us.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Vannakkam Sunyata:

I'm always amazed at how things get clearer for individual seekers as time passes, through the grace of God. By this I mean the mystical feelable God, the presence, and I know you know what I mean. This openness just builds clarity, brings insight, new and better analogies etc., because its out there somewhere beyond the intellect. It's Ganapati's way.

And then there is the other path of downward spiral into more and more confusion because of excessive reading coupled with the inability to discriminate what makes sense and what doesn't. Here we find a circular mind, Buddhist one day, Vaishnava the next, agnostic the next, and finally back to some confused version of Christianity/universalism. Hopping along from Guru to Guru, and stopping each time more discipline is recommended.

It's like the old elevator guy's first question, "Going up, or going down?" Or going nowhere, fast?

All the Majestic Dance!

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by sar78 View Post
    My point of view is - for a person leading normal human life he needs to come across various kinds of pinnacles of problems... depending upon the situation we are obsessed to pray and offer worshipping with proper devotion to the form of suitable God, apart from one having the personal ishta deva God.., Hence devotion to multiple Gods in Hinduism is essential part of way of life (Many means different forms of the same One Ultimate God manifested Himself for different purposes like creating sustaining & dissolving the universe etc)

example - in astrology - period of troubles you need to pray to shani god..
    while you need to start new tasks/business - you pray to lord Ganesh....
    If you need good education - Pray to Godess Saraswati
    If you need good wealth (not just money) - Pray to Godesss Lakshmi Puja
    If you need free from karma to attain moksha - Pray to Gods Shiva & Vishnu
    If you need power of knowing - Pray to God Kumara ShaNmukhar
    If you need for good disciplined life - pray to God Ayyapar
    like that - I am not an expert but I am trying to show a glimpse why a person need to have devotion to many Gods....

Lord Rama lead a example life to human beings and He indeed showed devotion to multiple Gods... He prayed to Lord Shiva at Rameshwara before He started to Lanka to kill the enemy demon king Ravana.... He prayed to Sun God before the last day battle... (He was particularly instructed by Sage Rishi to pray to Sun God to win the battle otherwise it would not be possible... and He did So...) This I how beleive about what I said earlier...

But for Meditative praying - you need to concentrate with devotion to one particular form of God - I think so because you can easily focus your mind on Ishta deva for you achieve better results in mind controlling... you can do that by chanting God's name by japa or repeating God's mantra like wise.
    hmm.. interesting.... Would you say that I'm right if I say, they are all the names of a single person. A person is someones son, someone else's husband, someone else's father, someone's uncle, nephew, teacher, student, etc, but the person remains the same. Just as we all take up different roles on circumstances, he too assumes forms, but we must not forget he is one, gunateeta, formless, Brahman, God, Ishwara, Keshava, Ambika, etc.
    It is said, that just like every river (in india) joins the (indian) ocean, so also, all prayers of all forms, reach god.
    Even if one sees it to be many gods, (which is never true) he should know, devotion to one god will reach the others, just like the moon, receiving sun's light, gives light to multiple entities on earth.
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

Namaste
    The Hindu Dharma Forums - Sanatana Dharma Discussion
    Contains this that and much more , similarly the Brahman is one . Therefore knowing it, is gyan ,following it , is duty and perceiving it , is bhakti the great .

Thread Information