Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISKCON Bhagwad Gita to be in every motel in the US

ISKCON Bhagwad Gita to be in every motel in the US

Re: ISKCON Bhagwad Gita to be in every motel in the US

Vannakkam Believer:

Interesting project, especially how it might go in the Bible Belt. I believe it is a decision up to the individual owners of chains or hotels. there are a lot of Patels in the hotel industry. I remember when the Gideons used to come into classrooms. I always felt like inviting ISKCON to come as well, if nothing else but to demonstrate the fact that it is proseletysing and favoring one religion over another. In Utah at the hotel I stayed at thee was a Book of Mormon alongside the Bible.

Here's another link: http://news.iskcon.com/node/2921/201...ago_convention

And another to a discussion about having any religious books in hotel rooms. http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...e_and_For_All_

Personally, I'd like to see no books in hotel rooms at all, except for the local phone book so I can check out where the restaurants or grocery stores are.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 19 July 2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: addition

Thank you for sharing, Believer-ji.

This is really interesting, I wish them the best of luck. I'd love it if I went into a motel and found the Bhagavad Gita there. (Of course, I'm slightly biased. )

Although like Eastern Mind-ji, I wonder how it will go down in the Bible Belt.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there there is a specific area this project is concentrating on to begin with, like the North or South of the US?

Namaste,

This is great. I also saw the Book of Mormon alongside the Bible at a hotel once, and that's when I started thinking that the Gita should be there as well. It really does help that so many hotel owners are Indian. Hopefully eventually this will be a standard in every hotel room just like the Bible is.

Jai Sri Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by Odion View Post

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there there is a specific area this project is concentrating on to begin with, like the North or South of the US?
    From the video clip, it seems that this started in South San Francisco area, which probably got reported in the hotel/motel convention (with a large Indian owner) presence, and ISKCON got an order, I believe for 35000 copies from these Indian owners from across the US.

How will it play in the Bible belt? It is not replacing the Bible in the hotel/motel rooms. So, it should not be a huge threat to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    How will it play in the Bible belt? It is not replacing the Bible in the hotel/motel rooms. So, it should not be a huge threat to anyone.
    Namaste Believer,

I live in the Bible Belt, and unfortunately some people will take it as a sort of threat. Even though it's not replacing their beloved Bible, some fundamentalist Christians will show disgust and contempt at a Hindu text being next to it.

Oh well. They might just end up loving and cherishing the Gita in another lifetime.

Jai Sri Krishna

That's what I'm thinking. Some may be insecure enough to think the hotel/motel owners are shoving their religion down their throat, and some fundamentalists may show disgust at it being next to the Bible, especially with how negatively some fundies see Hinduism.

Oh well, sucks to be them.

Vannakkam:

I believe the people who are really devout carry their books with them while they travel anyway. I know my wife and I do. (Not saying I'm devout, but she is.) Most people simply don't care so in a sense it might be a waste of money. I read on another site that some hotel owners in Utah stopped putting the book of Mormon there because they had to replace them every two weeks or so because evangelicals would write nasty messages all over them, or steal them.

Certainly a lot of evangelicals would see it as their duty almost to wreck or steal a Gita. After all, to them it is the work of the devil. Especially so when they know they can get away with it, and its not a personal confrontation with someone. Only time will tell, but my guess it'll be in the right wing Christian news sometime soon, if not already.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

So I stayed in a couple of hotels for the first time since this project got underway, and there was no Gita. One hotel just had the Book of Mormon and the other just had the Bible. The hotels I stayed in were at Durham and Asheville in North Carolina. Although North Carolina is a very heavily Christian state, Asheville and Durham are actually pretty liberal.

But it's still early with this project. I'll give it a couple of years and see how things are then. I just felt like giving an update since I remembered this when I was staying at the hotels.

Jai Sri Krishna

Were they Patel owned?

If so, did you ask them as to why they were not participating in this Hindu awareness project?

Thread Information