Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quran scientific contradiction - geocentricism

quran scientific contradiction - geocentricism

so I just made a thread earlier and was looking at chapter 25 after quoting a verse from it. there seems to be even more contradictions.

25:45
    Have you not considered your Lord - how He extends the shadow, and if He willed, He could have made it stationary? Then We made the sun for it an indication.
    the length of a shadow is based upon where on the earth's surface you are and the earths rotation on its axis while orbiting the sun.(sunrise to sunset)

the above verse shows a complete lack of understanding. it is what a medieval person looking up into the sky would assume how the shadow is casted.

also the following verses

25:46
    Then We hold it in hand for a brief grasp.

(Pickthal)
    Then We withdraw it unto Us, a gradual withdrawal?
    25:47

And it is He who has made the night for you as clothing and sleep [a means for] rest and has made the day a resurrection.
    only reinforces it.

its an idea that light shines already, but sun is an indication. and night is a "covering".

night isnt a covering/clothing, its the side of the earth not facing the sun.

if not for the sun, the earth wont even be in the first place let alone being in full darkness.

Re: quran scientific contradiction - geocentricism

Are you honestly trying to intellectually refute Islam? You do realise that they believe their prophet went to heaven on a flying horse?
    Last edited by satay; 12 December 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Admin note

Quote Originally Posted by maxpsycho View Post
    Are you honestly trying to intellectually refute Islam? You do realise that they believe their prophet went to heaven on a flying horse? (Not that Hindus are that much better; we have flying monkeys who swallow stars and lift mountains)
    I know you are new and an atheist. However, I would advice you to read the forum rules by clicking on the FAQ section (on the top toolbar). Mocking hindus, hinduism, india and Indians is not allowed can get you redirected out of this forum in a hurry.

Thanks and enjoy the discussions.
    satay

4. Cool Re: quran scientific contradiction - geocentricism

----------------
    You are from Arya Samaj and become Atheist, but if you do not want any knowledge, or have any knowledge.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Kumar, these are good points. It's obvious that even in modern times we use geocentric language, and talk about the Sun rising and setting. Thus I don't hold it against the Quran for making use of the same language. However, Muslims love to try and win converts by pointing out supposed "scientific miracles" in the Quran, i.e. statements that elucidate an advanced level of scientific understanding. It's only right for the rest of us to point out apparent scientific errors as a way of refuting the existence of scientific miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Admin note

I know you are new and an atheist. However, I would advice you to read the forum rules by clicking on the FAQ section (on the top toolbar). Mocking hindus, hinduism, india and Indians is not allowed can get you redirected out of this forum in a hurry.

Thanks and enjoy the discussions.
    I do hope that my comment wasn't taken to be malicious - it was purely a humorous remark on the irony of the situation; as Hindus (me being a nastika hindu, but a hindu nevertheless), we happen to belong to the rare group of believers that do not hold every single tenet of every school of thought to be true as we realise that many are mutually exclusive. However just as we may find the "facts" of other faiths to be erroneous, we mustn't forget that many injunctions in our own faith are also outdated and quite simply hilarious.

namaste max,

There might be a million problems with hinduism, hindus, india and indians. Exposing those is not the agenda of HDF.

I know you meant no harm with your comment but I have to draw the line somewhere and since you are new you might not know the rules of HDF so it was just a reminder.

Take Care.

I do hope that my comment wasn't taken to be malicious -However just as we may find the "facts" of other faiths to be erroneous, we mustn't forget that many injunctions in our own faith are also outdated and quite simply hilarious.
    satay

8. Cool Re: quran scientific contradiction - geocentricism

I do hope that my comment wasn't taken to be malicious - it was purely a humorous remark on the irony of the situation; as Hindus (me being a nastika hindu, but a hindu nevertheless), we happen to belong to the rare group of believers that do not hold every single tenet of every school of thought to be true as we realise that many are mutually exclusive. However just as we may find the "facts" of other faiths to be erroneous, we mustn't forget that many injunctions in our own faith are also outdated and quite simply hilarious.
    You are from an Arya Samaj family, and become atheist because of this, but you did not try to find out the facts.
    However you should try to understand that Modern Science has proved that even animals have languages and human can learn it as well. Dr. Doolittle types of stories also express same. Hanuman was not an ordinary, he was Divine so it was not impossible for him to do anything even in monkey form, while Koran is a total nonsense kind of subject, the proofs you can find in Koran they are not in good taste, so this is not possible any such person can have some divine power
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Respectfully, sir, I would just make a few comments about your reply -

You said - "Modern Science has proved that even animals have languages and human can learn it as well" - As far as I know from reading zoological journals, no real animal "language" has ever been learned. The cases of the dolphin or the bonobos or other types of chimpanzees and apes communicating have come close to what we would call 'language'. But what I would like to point out, is that languages, the way humans have developed them, require consciousness of the self; which is something that hasn't seen to be evolved nearly to the same level as humans in any other species. And so I am fairly certain that there is no real human speaking with animals in their native tongue. Dr. Doolittle of course is simply a terrible movie and nothing more.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the Koran - it is a terribly written book, written in an inane style, and the content is barbaric. This much I have no qualms with whatsoever. As far as the Hanuman story is concerned, again with the utmost respect for you and your faith sir, as I am not someone who holds the claims of religious scriptures to be absolutely true (owing to the enormous lack of evidence) I can't take the claim that the wind God had a son in the form of a primate with magical gifts, to be true either.

Would like to just caveat that my comments are not meant to be incendiary or derogatory in any way.

Would like to just caveat that my comments are not meant to be incendiary or derogatory in any way.
    Vannakkam: I find your repetition of this statememt offensive and naive as it doesn't take into account the reader's interpretation at all. It reminds me of dealing with schoolyard bullies, when confronted, say "We were just fooling around." Then when one speaks with the victim of the bully, another statement or sadder version is given. I tended to side with the victim.

A stronger version is the murderer who tells the judge, "But I didn't mean it."

The very fact an atheist comes onto a forum to argue with Hindus, to me, is by definition derogatory by nature.

On another topic, you also stated that the development of language requires a consciousness of the self. Now if this self you speak of is anywhere near to the meaning of 'Self' within Hinduism, then you have contradicted yourself completely.

I would just like to say that no offense is intended. The idea that I refute atheism and atheists as ridiculous presumptions is not meant to be derogatory or demeaning.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information