Thread: Hare Krishna Maha Mantra

Hare Krishna Maha Mantra

I came to this forum because a few months ago I heard a song, and it made me cry, and this song turned out to be the Hare Krishna chant. Almost every time I listen to this song I cry. Sometimes when I feel I need to cry, I simply listen to this song, and I cry. It is very cleansing. I have read that if you cry it is a good thing. Is this what this song was designed to do? Was it designed to make people cry? To cleanse their spirit? Anyone else have experiences with crying listening to Hare Krishna? I am fascinated with this chant, because it is rare for a song to have this strong of an effect on me. I am wondering if I should look into Hinduism more... There are also other things that make me think I should look at Hinduism. I am practically vegetarian without even trying. (And I just came off of a 3-month vegan diet, feeling great, and wanting to do it again in the future....) Also, I have heard of the link between Jesus Christ and Hare Krishna, that they may actually be the same person... that their lives have very many similarities... at first I was angry at Christianity for trying to fool me, but now I am at peace knowing that Buddhism and Christianity are talking about the same savior. It is reaffirming, not disappointing. Jesus Christ. Jezeus Krishna. I can accept that, I actually find that to be a very beautiful thing, if it is true.
    Can anyone give me any direction, suggestions, on what I should do or read next?

Re: Hare Krishna Maha Mantra

Quote Originally Posted by Love View Post
    I came to this forum because a few months ago I heard a song, and it made me cry, and this song turned out to be the Hare Krishna chant. Almost every time I listen to this song I cry. Sometimes when I feel I need to cry, I simply listen to this song, and I cry. It is very cleansing. I have read that if you cry it is a good thing. Is this what this song was designed to do? Was it designed to make people cry? To cleanse their spirit? Anyone else have experiences with crying listening to Hare Krishna? I am fascinated with this chant, because it is rare for a song to have this strong of an effect on me. I am wondering if I should look into Hinduism more... There are also other things that make me think I should look at Hinduism. I am practically vegetarian without even trying. (And I just came off of a 3-month vegan diet, feeling great, and wanting to do it again in the future....) Also, I have heard of the link between Jesus Christ and Hare Krishna, that they may actually be the same person... that their lives have very many similarities... at first I was angry at Christianity for trying to fool me, but now I am at peace knowing that Buddhism and Christianity are talking about the same savior. It is reaffirming, not disappointing. Jesus Christ. Jezeus Krishna. I can accept that, I actually find that to be a very beautiful thing, if it is true.
    Can anyone give me any direction, suggestions, on what I should do or read next?
    Well, first of all, remember that many Hindus don't respect Jesus much at all (and some have a downright hatred for Abrahamic religions). I'm not one of them. ^_^

Anyway, as for Hinduism, one of the first things you should know is that it isn't a single religion: it's an umbrella term for several religions, all of which are united under the Vedas. If you cried listening to Hare Krishna, I'd suggest learning about Vaishnavism, which is the worship of Vishnu as Supreme. There are several schools of this sect, one of the most prominent being Gaudiya Vaishnavism, which holds that Krishna, an avatar of Vishnu, is the Supreme Person who is the Source of all things. I'd suggest learning about this path. (ISKCON, aka, the Hare Krishna movement, is a contemporary branch of Gaudiya Vaishnavism; there are other branches.)

First thing's first: read the Bhagavad-Gita. It's one of the best summaries of Vedic wisdom there is, providing in detail descriptions and requirements for each of the three main paths: Jnana (Wisdom/Knowledge), Karma (Action), and Bhakti (Devotion.) I suggest trying to get your hands on a non-sectarian version that doesn't have a commentary, first. There's one such translation from Gita-Press that's a free PDF file:

http://www.gitapress.org/Download_Eng_pdf.htm

The other two PDF files on there, by the way, are different things. You can read them if you want, but they're for different paths.

I don't want to overwhelm you right away, and others will have their own suggestions. Hindu religions are step-by-step paths; you don't simply adopt a set of beliefs and live by them as it seems to be with many Abrahamic religions.

Vannakkam Love:

It is quite normal to cry out of devotion in Hinduism, generally, not just from the Hare Krishna mantra. I've witnessed people standing in front of ancient temple moolasthanams (sanctum sanctorums) with hands folded bawling. Yes it is cleansing. If you watch devotees in prayer, it happens a lot. The psychic energy in Hinduism called darshan or shakti can be extremely powerful.

Welcome to the path of search and to these forums. I hope you fond in some way what you are looking for.

To further add to Riverwolf's comments, many Hindus such as myself don't hate Christianity. Some do, but personally I believe my view is more common, and that view is just that it is irrelevant to us. Why study something else when what you have is giving you all you need and more. Why own 2 or 3 cars, or have 2 wives. One is plenty, and sometimes even too much. A map of Rio de Janeiro doesn't do much for the guy who is lost in Paris.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Love,

Riverwolf has given great advice. You should definitely check out Vaishnavism, especially Gaudiya Vaishnivism and the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). They might be a great fit for you. You should also check out other sects of Hinduism like Shaivism and Shaktism, to see if you feel this same sort of attraction to any other forms of God.

Personally, I have never cried while praying or listening to any music. But I do agree with what Eastern Mindji said, that sometimes the shakti is so powerful that it makes you cry and feel very emotional.

Jai Sri Krishna

Is this what this song was designed to do? Was it designed to make people cry? To cleanse their spirit?
    The mantra is part of an ancient Hindu scripture called the Kali Santarana Upanishad. I'll post the quote here:

"At the end of Dvapara-Yuga, Narada went to Brahma and addressed him thus: "O Lord, how shall I, roaming over the earth, be able to across Kali ?" To which Brahma thus replied: "Well asked. Hearken to that which all Shrutis (the Vedas) keep secret and hidden, through which one may cross the Samsara (mundane existence) of Kali [yuga]. He shakes off (the evil effects of) Kali [yuga] through the mere uttering of the name of the Lord Narayana, who is the primeval Purusha". Again Narada asked Brahma: "What is the name ?" To which Hiranyagarbha (Brahma) replied thus:
    Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
    Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
    These sixteen names (words) are destructive of the evil effects of Kali [yuga]. No better means than this is to be seen in all the Vedas"

The reason that the mantra is now chanted Hare Krishna first is because of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (1486-1534). Chaitanya, believed by Gaudiya Vaishavas to be an incarnation of Krishna and Radha, travelled throughout India chanting the Hare Krishna mantra. Some of the brahmanas objected to him giving out this mantra to the lower castes, so he simply switched the order and put Hare Krishna first. I prefer to chant it Hare Rama first because I'm not a Gaudiya Vaishnava.

namaste Love.

The Sanskrit equivalent of your username is prema--and PremA is a common Hindu name. As EM has said, it is the cleansing power of a mantra/bhajan/song that makes us cry. In my case, I often experience a tear drop or two welling up, at a word or phrase in a mantra or song or even a wholesome literary composition. Devotion--bhakti, is essentially a deeply felt emotion expressed in the feeling of love towards the self, surroundings and the Supreme.

IMHO, shrI KRShNa and Jesus Christ are poles apart, but I have no objection to some people beliving in their similarity, so long as that does not lead to proselytism. Further I believe in the theory of historical non-existence of JC.

Whatever the religion, the ultimate spirituality lies in the action of inquiring into, contemplating, experiencing and finally realising the Self in us. Devotion prepares by cleansing our mind--called chitta shuddhi, and refines the grossness of body ingredients.

Welcome to HDF!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information