Namaste everyone,

Ive been a part of ISKCON for about the last two years. I consider myself a Hindu, and while I am practising ( no alcohol, pubs, bars, restaurants, meat and chanting 4-8 rounds a day, attending mandir one day a week) I am by no means as strict as some of the people who attend my temple.

I am trying to ease myself in slowly so to speak. To take my time to read and experience as much as possible and to understand properly where I fit into the whole lable of ''Hindu''.

One thing I have come accross where I live within the ''white'' community though is a negative perception of ''white'' Hindus - especially white ISKCON devotees.

At work especially I am percieved as not being a ''proper'' Hindu and instead some kind of hippy playing ''lets pretend to be an Indian'' or a member of a fringe group that isnt accepted in mainstream Hinduism and therefore has no credibility.

I find that my faith and beliefs are not taken as seriously and things are said or implied to me that I feel would not be said if I was of indian or asian background.

I try my best to keep away from the stereotypical '' hare krishna hippy'' look. I wear indian style clothing but mix it with western dress ( Shalwar kameez tops with jeans for instance )- just because I find it more comfortable and in line with my own standards of modesty - and save the saris for the weekend - but I feel constantly like I have to down play or make light of my faith.

Im wondering if anyone else has come accross this type of negative perception? especially those of non indian or asian ethnicity. How do you deal with it in everyday life?? what about at work? how do you deal with the perception that only indians are proper hindus??

I feel like im constantly having to justify or defend myself to the white community despite living in a town with a large muslim and asian population.

Im sorry for such a long post - its only my second here. I hope you all understand what im trying to say ?