Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

Re: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

What a great discussion!
    I'm so glad I found this forum, actually someone recommended it to me!

First to Anna,

I'm a "convert" too, though I have never converted FROM anything so I don't think I count as a convert.
    I have had similar reactions from Asian Hindu's where they don't think I'm really Hindu. I had one situation where they were nice and spoke about it a little but then I found out that they had said to each other behind my back that I couldn't REALLY be a Hindu.

It hurt, but now when I've been following this path for about 10 years, I find that I have had a lot more good experiences than bad ones.
    I've been pleasantly surprised by non Indian non Hindu people when I've told them, only one person so far has had a surprised and kind of ignorant reaction.

And with Indians or people of Asian decent, most people have been pleasantly surprised too. If I say that I belong to an Ashram and follow the Dharma it seems to get more acceptance than if I say that I'm Hindu.

I don't wear Indian style clothing. When I'm not at work, I wear a little Indian like style, but it's more my own style than traditional Indian. At work all I wear pants and t-shirts. The only way people would tell is because they see my small OM pendant around my neck.

I agree with Neti Neti, I'm not Indian, I have never even been to India.
    I'm a Swede living in the U.S. I celebrate Swedish traditions and American ones, all secular.
    Spiritual traditions are all Hindu.

The only way people would tell is because they see my small OM pendant around my neck.
    Maybe you could wear a small bindi on your forehead as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    The only way people would tell is because they see my small OM pendant around my neck.

Vannakkam: The Sanskrit Om is so common now that many unread westerners don't even know what it means. My daughter, a hairstylist, tells many a story of people coming in for a cut with some Om somewhere, as a tattoo, a bracelet, earring, or pendant. Then she mentions, "Oh, you have a Sanskrit Om. That's nice." to get some conversation going. Often the person denies that and argues that it is just a symbol of peace. Then my daughter moves on to a new topic because she does want return customers.

What you say about the terms 'ashram' and 'dharma' being more acceptable than 'Hindu' is sad (in my opinion) but true. There is lots of stuff here on HDF about the yoga denial of Hinduism, so I won't start it all up all over again. The British, Porteugeuse, Christians etc. did a real number on the word back in colonial times, and it has stuck around. Almost the same as the 'n' word but not quite. For some reasons slaves from India were more politely referred to in history books as 'indentured labor'.

Personally, I say I'm Hindu. Most commonly it comes from introductions, as I carry a Hindu name. But if they don't hear me, my first name becomes John, and Murugan becomes Morgan. Fairly natural response from the subconscious mind. I never go anywhere with it (correct them) unless the individual is going to become more than an acquaintance.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 29 October 2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: The Sanskrit Om is so common now that many unread westerners don't even know what it means. My daughter, a hairstylist, tells many a story of people coming in for a cut with some Om somewhere, as a tattoo, a bracelet, earring, or pendant. Then she mentions, "Oh, you have a Sanskrit Om. That's nice." to get some conversation going. Often the person denies that and argues that it is just a symbol of peace. Then my daughter moves on to a new topic because she does want return customers.

What you say about the terms 'ashram' and 'dharma' being more acceptable than 'Hindu' is sad (in my opinion) but true. There is lots of stuff here on HDF about the yoga denial of Hinduism, so I won't start it all up all over again. The British, Porteugeuse, Christians etc. did a real number on the word back in colonial times, and it has stuck around. Almost the same as the 'n' word but not quite. For some reasons slaves from India were more politely referred to in history books as 'indentured labor'.

Personally, I say I'm Hindu. Most commonly it comes from introductions, as I carry a Hindu name. But if they don't hear me, my first name becomes John, and Murugan becomes Morgan. Fairly natural response from the subconscious mind. I never go anywhere with it (correct them) unless the individual is going to become more than an acquaintance.

Aum Namasivaya
    I agree, a lot of people have no idea what it means. Here in the US, some people think I do Hatha yoga. I do...but that's not why I wear it.
    In Sweden, no one has a clue what it means. One person thought it was the communist Moon and Hammer, and another asked why I wore the number 30 around my neck. What's ironic though is that I actually bought m pendant in Sweden.

Don't get me wrong, I tell people that I'm Hindu if it comes up in conversation. But I find that Asian Hindu's take me more seriously when I talk about my Ashram. It IS kind of sad. I often wonder if they don't give their own religion enough credit since they are so surprised that other people embrace it.
    I think it's a lot more surprising that so few westerners have found it.

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    I tell people that I'm Hindu if it comes up in conversation.

Maya
    Vannakkam: That's my stance exactly, unless they're Indian, and I see that they're Hindu or there is some purpose. For example, we have temporary immigrant legislation here, and in rural areas I might bump into some Indian Hindu person working in some fast food joint on a one year temporary working visa, and I'll let him or her know about our temple. But with westerners, I'd never bring it up. Seems too much like proseltysing to me. Another example is at hotels owned by Hindus. occasionally I'll say, "Nice picture of Ganesha" or something like that.

Aum Namasivaya

6. Re: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

namaste

from what i know there is no provision in Hinduism of certifying somebody and neither is there any for excommunication so i guess you need not worry about it.

don't try to fit in with other members of Hindu community its your own personal spiritual journey,every human is born different,yes i agree there may be a little nonacceptance of a white hindu convert,same would happen to an indian(or asian) who converts to christianity ,..people have a certain mindset

in hinduism there are lot of people who are revered who were earlier from not accepted in the society just because of the path they chose for example valmiki who was earlier a robber and after what he chose he became a maharishi.

Ram ji as well in rameshwaram prayed to lord Shiva in order to seek forgiveness for killing ravan and when he was dying lord ram asked his brother lakshman ji to seek knwoledge from the 'mahapandit'--the reason i am telling this is may be some hindus may not accept you but there is no way hinduism will not

you need not worry about them its between you and your god ,nobody came with you on this earth and nobody will accompany you ,so its you alone the whole way

just dont try anything to please them you would be doing injustice to your inner self and thus to your god who lives inside you,even still if you are worried about them people will eventually accept you as a HINDU
    har har mahadev !!

Quote Originally Posted by parteeksharma View Post
    namaste

from what i know there is no provision in Hinduism of certifying somebody
    Vannakkam parteek: Although this thread is almost 4 years old .... (look in the top left corner for dates of posts) I thought I should respond anyway.

Both the Arya Samaj (for reconverting back to Hinduism) and Saiva Siddhanta Church, an American based Hindu organisation, (ethical conversion after a long process of study) issue certificates. Sometimes these certificates can be useful ... for entering temples, etc.

But you are essentially correct ... just start practicing.

Aum Namasivaya

8. Re: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

namsate EM,

i am sorry for posting in a thread which is so old,i never realized that i should also check the dates when the posts were posted. I am just getting hang of using the forum(i've never been in one) so please excuse my ignorance

thanks for pointing out that certificates are indeed issued ,..but is there any provision of this kind in any of our scriptures?
    the societies which issue such certificates will end up creating a new sect in my opinion
    It seems absurd to say that "i am a certified Hindu",so that means a non certified hindu might not be a hindu in their views !! according to me that takes away all the good this religion has because if there is certification there must be people who judge the candidates,down the line they will even start issuing fatwas and try to command hindus who they have certified in this process i guess god(religion) and humanity takes a back seat and the people on the top become the gods on earth (i guess we have seen that a lot !!)

about the temples i know of some temples(in south india) which have dress code and allows only hindus and i guess there are a few who only allow brahman community,well i say that is pure nonsense,if lord ram can share berries with shabri why can't such people(be it people from lower castes or other religions) pay their respect in the temple,

*ram ji tells shabri about the nava-vidha bhakti,nine forms of devotion.after telling the nine froms he tells that out these nine, "bhakti" pleases me the most*

so why people on earth mere mortals should govern who should enter the house of god who is totally blind to the mortal identity of his bhagat,....may be because we gave them power to certify
    har har mahadev !!

Quote Originally Posted by parteeksharma View Post
    namsate EM,

i am sorry for posting in a thread which is so old,i never realized that i should also check the dates when the posts were posted. I am just getting hang of using the forum(i've never been in one) so please excuse my ignorance

thanks for pointing out that certificates are indeed issued ,..but is there any provision of this kind in any of our scriptures?
    the societies which issue such certificates will end up creating a new sect in my opinion
    It seems absurd to say that "i am a certified Hindu",so that means a non certified hindu might not be a hindu in their views !! according to me that takes away all the good this religion has because if there is certification there must be people who judge the candidates,down the line they will even start issuing fatwas and try to command hindus who they have certified in this process i guess god(religion) and humanity takes a back seat and the people on the top become the gods on earth (i guess we have seen that a lot !!)

about the temples i know of some temples(in south india) which have dress code and allows only hindus and i guess there are a few who only allow brahman community,well i say that is pure nonsense,if lord ram can share berries with shabri why can't such people(be it people from lower castes or other religions) pay their respect in the temple,

*ram ji tells shabri about the nava-vidha bhakti,nine forms of devotion.after telling the nine froms he tells that out these nine, "bhakti" pleases me the most*

so why people on earth mere mortals should govern who should enter the house of god who is totally blind to the mortal identity of his bhagat,....may be because we gave them power to certify
    Vannakkam parteek: I have one such certificate,and its helped me get into a temple in TN. It's not necessary, but at the same time it's helpful, just like carrying a passport might be.

Aum Namasivaya

Hare Krsna,

This is a great thread. I am a recent convert and live in the hills of Appalacia in the US. I was raised in the redneck region of the bible belt. I come from that general area. The closest Iskcon agency near me is over 75 miles one way. I have not "Come out" as it were with my religious beliefs yet as I am still very new to the faith. I am however not unfamilliar with the faith as I had a girlfriend who was Krishna years ago who lived int he area. Her family was the only family in the region that was. (An Anomally here) However that family moved away years ago and I lost all contact. Here killing Bambi is a cultural requirement and drinking is as well. Man it's hard to be anything but what the Rednecks want you to be. But I have always been an extrovert and and type A personality. I have always been cultured and drawn to Hinduism. For me it is a completion of Karma I believe that I am where I am and am in the faith. I am still struggling with trying to convert my diet. But I did not just fall into this faith, it was here I was led by Krsna. I will tell who needs to know. Family will just have to deal with it. Friends will just have to deal with it as well, or I am sure I will make new ones. There is no requirement I tell my boss at work my faith, so feel no pressure there.

I would love to get traditional clothes but have no idea where to get them or what men wear. I have no idea how to make a tilak? All I know is that Krsna has led me to where I am and I am his child. All else matters little in the material world. I could care less what others think of me, but have not flown my flag yet so to speak as I am only in the faith for a bout a month and getting my bearings. I will fly my flag when it is right. Till then I would suggest those of you facing adversity for your faith stand to be counted with Krsna and nothing else (Assuming you are Krishna Conscious) THe local Iskcon facility here is sponsoring a Ratha Yatra soon and I am going with my teenage daughter. I was there years ago and loved it. The world is a wonderfaul palce with Krsna in it. I would say do not be afraid to express who are and let the world deal with it. Of what conceern is it of others where you are in the spiritual path, you have made it to where you are and that is where you are to be. ;-)

Thread Information