Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

Re: The problems of being a Hindu ''convert''

Vannakkam Ravenwolf: You can order anything you want in regard to clothing on-line. it's quite easy. I've uses Krishnastore (or some name like that) .

Other stuff is on-line as well, like how to apply tilak, vegetarian support, and more.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you for the reply. I shall look at the site.

I feel for you OP, i know one of my friends who follow the path of santana dharma more strictly than others, yet still, as he is "white", he is not allowed into the Jaganatha temple!

Pranams members,

I find it very funny in this day and age that White people or any other non Hindu can not enter Lord Jaganaths temple.

In Vrndavana and Mayapura and other places in India white devotees of Sri Krsna have been born, educated, nationalised with passport, have learned sanskrit and done devotional practices and lived in the holy places all their life, but they are not allowed in the temple.

An Indian, who eats meat, may not have true sraddha in the Lord can go and visit when he likes.

The true vaishnava is not disturbed by this act of local brahmins, many of them eat fish, because the devotee is humble, the devotee is satisfied that Sri Jaganatha will come to see the devotees outside once a year.

Its not just whites its anyone who is not Hindu Brown by birth, they even want to stop Hindus who are born outside of India for not entering.

If this practiced was handled in this way in the west, the temple would be closed down for acts of racism. Its such a pity in such a great culture you have traces of racism and native superiority. But this is Kali yuga, a time where degradation is considered advancement and Adarma is Dharma.

Ys

Md

Vannakkam: What is the actual policy at that temple? Does it say 'No foreigners' od 'no whites' or does it say 'Only Hindus'.

Just curious.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranams Eastern Mind,

As far as I know its still the same, only Hindu's, at one point it was being pushed native Indian Hindus only, the reason that Indians abroad have been infected my the mellechas , if that came to pass I will have to check.

It has not been a rule that has been accepted without question, ISKCON has challenged and opened many debates on very high levels to allow access to ISKCON devotees, but always denied. They are standing firm.

In general the pujaris and brahmins caste that run the temple are very friendly with devotees, I have been to several of their houses and shared prasdam with them.

I can understand from a historic point of view with the behavior of the British and the Moguls, but that is history, the world is a very different place now, and with the growing power of human rights the sacred temple could come under very bad criticism, which would be unfortunate.

Ys

Md

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Pranams Eastern Mind,

As far as I know its still the same, only Hindu's, at one point it was being pushed native Indian Hindus only, the reason that Indians abroad have been infected my the mellechas , if that came to pass I will have to check.
    Vannakkam, and thank you for that. I also understand that some Vishnu temples in Kerala follow the same hard and fast rules and strict enforcement.

I totally get the no nonHindu allowed policy. We don't need any more disrespect that that which is already out there. There is also a real security issue especially on festival days.

In days past, and today, skin color is an indicator and a pretty decent one. But it certainly isn't the only one. An NRI with family, or a non-Hindu (a Moslem, or Christian, or atheist) could likely walk right past the rules, unless of course they look at passports.

When stopped at Madurai, which also has the same signage, I showed my passport and conversion certificate, and was granted access with no problem. So it's more the way the rule is interpreted and enforced that varies. It was nice being outside the range of camera toting staring tourists. But again it was easily bypassed. My driver had a Moslem friend who tagged along with no problem. He was an architecture student interested in it, so that was why took opportunities to go in.

At the main gopurams at Madurai we had to go through a metal detector similar to the ones at airports. Unfortunate, but it made sense to me.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 05 July 2014 at 08:37 AM.

Hari Bol!

Thank you for your answer!
    I guess it's because we live in Kali-Yuga, as time goes on this will only get worse! It's sad to think, but it's destiny i guess.

Jai Sri Radhe Syam!

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Please consider this... for some it will make sense for others they will scratch their heads.
    A covering (ācchādaka¹) is no less a covering no matter what you choose, if it over-shadows one's real nature.
    Doesn't matter if one is a redneck or even the vaiṣṇava¹. For the redneck the thickness of ignorance may be more then the vaiṣṇava - doesn't matter. If one's true original core being (ātmamukhaṃ¹) is not known , does it matter what you wear ? Wear you go, what you do ? having a tattoo ? If one living in ignorance thinks that changing how they look will make a difference - it is just folly. It may make you ~feel~ more spiritual , so be it. Yet if one lives in ignorance ( up to one's finger nails) does it matter what garb one wears, what one wears on the forehead ? These things are all well and good , but we cannot confuse the ride for the destination

With all these these things we wear ( sajja¹) we still are ~wearing~ or being owned by the body (śarīra¹). This is what the wise have been telling us for eons - you are not this transitory body that comes-and-goes. You are stainless, infinite and whole.

iti śiva

words
    • ācchādaka - concealing , hiding
    • vaiṣṇava - a worshipper of viṣṇu
    • ātmamukhaṃ - turned towards one own Self
    • sajja - dress; decoration
    • śarīra - that which easily perishes; one's body i.e. one's own person

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Pranams Eastern Mind

I totally get the no-Hindu allowed policy
    I am sorry but I just dont get it, it makes no sense what so ever. I can sympothise with it and I understand the reasons.

I lived and travelled all around India for 5 years, I have been to many holy places from north to south, east to west to central. The majority of Temples allow anyone and have no problem.

I dont know where in Shastra is says that a particular race of indigenous people own the Lord.

Shastra is to be free from teh bodily conception of life.

England has been invaded many times and has changed rulers many times, one being the Normans

Should I have any personal bias against the modern day French people, only if I am in total ignorance would this be valid.

Ys

Md

Thread Information