Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Christian Yoga??!!

Re: Christian Yoga??!!

I only see two reasons why he could have said that. He either believes it to be true or he is being politically correct. It really doesn't help his case against the appropiation of Indian culture. He seems to have no problem appropiating elements of Christianity into Hindu Dharma. I think it's kind of insulting to Hinduism to place Jesus amongst the avataras, why not place Super Mario amongst the avatars while we are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I only see two reasons why he could have said that. He either believes it to be true or he is being politically correct. It really doesn't help his case against the appropiation of Indian culture. He seems to have no problem appropiating elements of Christianity into Hindu Dharma. I think it's kind of insulting to Hinduism to place Jesus amongst the avataras, why not place Super Mario amongst the avatars while we are at it.
    He is being practical. Of course, I don't know for certain, but no self-respecting Hindu cares two hoots about jesus.

And, how does he appropriate "christianity into Hindu Dharma"? By saying jeebus was important? What christian ideal/principle does he follow/support that he wants Hindus to do as well. Conversely, the idiots who think they are doing AsanA want to strip Yoga from Hinduism to suit their ends. That is what he, as well as most Hindus, are against.

He cannot publicly deride, in this case, ignore, jesus the charlatan. If he did, he would be relegated to the dark corners of the internet.

Rajiv, as other public Hindus, are practical in their inclusiveness. It is something I don't like, yet I am not a "public figure".

Show me one Hindu who has publicly stated who jesus truly was: a worthless charlatan.

Of course, he has to be diplomatic, he does not have to say that Jesus was a worthless charlatan, but he should not have to be so politically correct to place Jesus among the avatars. Then he also appropiating, namely the Christian figure Jesus into the collection of Hindu avatars. Honestly, I care more about Hinduism staying clean from Christian influences, like the inclusion of Jesus as an avatar, than I care about Christians doing downard dog for Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    He cannot publicly deride, in this case, ignore, jesus the charlatan.
    Or maybe, he really does admire Jesus. Jesus, after all, is a beautiful person representing love. Mahatma Gandhi admired him, as do I and many Hindus. So I'd ask people not to say bad things like 'charlatan' or whatever. If you don't accept A, fine. You don't even have to like A. But you don't have to abuse him, right? Let's try to be more mature.

He is either being politically correct or he is being inconsistent in his mission and philosophy. It's fine that he admires Jesus, but the moment he places him among the Hindu avatars his entire mission against the appropiation of Indian culture is negated with his appropiation of the Christian figure into the Hindu collection of avatars. Some consistency, please! I cannot support him if he is being inconsistent in his philosophy. I have already contacted Rajiv Malhotra once about the problem with his U-turn theory. It should be more like an O-cycle theory. Ideas go from India to the west, they get recycled and they come back to India/Hinduism. He said he was aware of the problem and was writing a book on the subject. I am not trying to say that we should not learn anything from the west, sure there are a lot of philospical and psychological theories from the west that are worth the study. But our core ideas in Hinduism, like who the avatars are, should not be altered because of Christian theology.

We cannot place Jesus among the avatars or call him a yogi and at the same time complain that the Jesuits are stealing yoga. That's even more absurd than Chrisian yoga itself. I would even say that this inclusive mentality of people like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, Yogananda Paramahamsa, Swami Sivananda and Swami Satchidananda has led to the development of Christian Yoga.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 18 November 2010 at 03:27 AM.

Deleted
    Last edited by UniversalLove; 04 August 2011 at 07:01 PM.

Christian Yoga?I am sorry i don't know what does it mean.I memory tell me that singapore yoga doesn't has this word.

8. Re: Christian Yoga??!!

It could be very enlightening experience even if only from a historical stand point for Christians to learn that their faith is very similar to that of Bhakti yoga. That there are many ways to approach God.

Knowledge of the ashvattha tree like form which is visible though Jnana Yoga, could be compared to or even viewed as being the voice of a burning bush. Well, that is if you have a creative open mind.

How about, Hare Christ Yoga?

Respectfully

Iain

Thread Information