Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Liberation

Liberation

I just got done reading "The Practice of Perfection" by Swami Prabhupada.

In the last chapter it talks about 5 different types of Liberation. One of these is looked upon as suicide and thus not encouraged at all.. It's called Sayujya.

The other four are accepted. They are Sarupya, Salokya, Sarsti, and Samipya
    Out of all of these I find Samipya (To remain with God as a close friend.) to be the most attractive..

My question is.. Does Advaita Vedanta accept multiple forms of Liberation like those I listed?

Re: Liberation

namaste Tirisilex.

My first thoughts on the question is:

I can understand why sAyujya-mukti--merging with the One Reality, is considered suicidal to ISKCONites and other non-Advaitins. Advaita recognizes only this type of mukti which can be attained here and now.

Although non-Advaitins dread sAyujya-mukti, it is always here and now to stay; and the non-Advaitins do have a peep into it at the peak of their bhakti--devotion (although they may not accept it as such).

Ironically, shrI KRShNa says in the GItA 2.20: "The primeval one is unborn, eternal and permanent." And yet the non-Advaitins would only be content with the 'primeval one' of their jIvas being different from the ParamAtman.

In one sense, however, since Advaita is all-inclusive (that is, of everything in the karma, bhakti and jnAna yoga), and bhakti is an inherent part of it, we may say that the other types of mukti--liberation, are also attained, by a jIvan mukta--liberated while living, when he gives an appearance of going about his worldly life.

For example, when KAnchi ParamAchArya performed his extensive pUjAs and niyama-anuShTAnas with the utmost shraddha--sincerity, he certainly passed through the other types of mukti, although his Self was firmly routed at all times in the sAyujya reality of turIya.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    I just got done reading "The Practice of Perfection" by Swami Prabhupada.

In the last chapter it talks about 5 different types of Liberation. One of these is looked upon as suicide and thus not encouraged at all.. It's called Sayujya.
    Dear Tirisilex

Whether one likes or not, the following is destined:

Ahamaatmaa gudaakesha sarvabhootaashayasthitah;
    Ahamaadishcha madhyam cha bhootaanaamanta eva cha.

BG 10. 20 I, O Gudakesa (Arjuna), am the self seated in the hearts of all creatures.
    I am the beginning, the middle and the very end of beings

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

The Path of Perfection says that death will come to all on the lower planets but on Krishnas Spiritual Planet Goloka there is no death.

We have three bodies that make us bhuta atman. The sthula, the physical body, which occupies a little space. We have sukshma sarira, the mental body, which occupies space as far as the mind goes. We have, karana sarira, the causal body, which is infinifinite, homogeneous, just as in deep sleep. But in this causal body are embedded our deepest desires which make us the particular being that we are as bhutama- the elemental self.

Desires gone, the causality goes.

But shastra, such as Brihadaraynaka upanishad clarify that there are forces that want bhutatma to remain so. Else who will do their bidding? Some say that it is as per the will of Ishwara. But again scripture negates this. The manifestations do not enter the immutable Self, but only because of powers of Ishwara, the jivas are deluded.

Here the free will comes into play. To believe the following or to disregard it.

BG 10. 20 I, O Gudakesa (Arjuna), am the self seated in the hearts of all creatures.
    I am the beginning, the middle and the very end of beings

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

The Path of Perfection says that death will come to all on the lower planets but on Krishnas Spiritual Planet Goloka there is no death.
    Namaste

The death, from which one is reborn, is the prakriti of Self-Brahman.

Death, from which one does not return is Self alone. But how can the Self die?

You can check the above from Gita.

Om Namah Shivaya

Atanu.. You lost me.. I haven't got a clue as to what exactly you are saying.

Sorry for my Ignorance..

Atanu.. You lost me.. I haven't got a clue as to what exactly you are saying.

Sorry for my Ignorance..
    Tirisilex

I am sorry for jumping -- as in my wont. IMO, only thing that is important at this stage, in this thread (wherein a question about sayujja mukti was raised) is,

I am the beginning, the middle and the very end of beings.

I repeat that whether one likes or not, the end of the being (bhutatma) is destined.

Om Namah Shivaya

So what is the point of Liberation? If we are gonna meet an end no matter what.. then why? When I read BG 10:20 I take it as.. He is the End of all that lives within this Material world.. and not in "the spiritual" This is My HO.

So what is the point of Liberation? If we are gonna meet an end no matter what.. then why? When I read BG 10:20 I take it as.. He is the End of all that lives within this Material world.. and not in "the spiritual" This is My HO.
    Good question, Tirisilex
    Isn't the point of liberation the relief from our suffering; from the problems we face as individuals such as anger, attachment, jealousy, greed, lust, pride etc.

The way I see this quote is that He is unavoidable. It is our own mind which causes us to fall victim of these negative attributes and suffer. He just continues to witness the whole cycle of our life.

Why did and do you turn to Sri Krishna?

Thread Information