Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Yoga-vasistha

Re: Yoga-vasistha

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,

We have been discussing tattva (“thatness”), which is (by definition) an abstraction ~ the condition or faculty of ____.

buddhi tattva is “the faculty of Intellect” ~ i.e. “the ability to form conceptions” or “Intelligence”.

buddhi (mahat) existed even before manifestation, and nArAyaNa was conceived in avyakta before any manifestation of his subsequent creation.

nirguNa brahma is pure avyakta, with buddhi arising together with the very first conception of diversity or multiplicity (i.e. mahat).

I suppose that “Intellect” can not be described as “intelligent” until it has actually conceived something, so brahma alone (before any conception or creation) could not be described as “intelligent” ~ but nirguNa brahma is (by definition) indescribable anyway!

buddhitattva = mahAtattva = “intellect” or “the faculty of intelligence”
    namaste sarabhanga,
    yes I agree i.e. nirguNa brahma is (by definition) indescribable anyway!

Even my teacher would preamble 15 min with this notion of the indescribable-ness of the unmanliest. He then would say now that we realize this lets talk of a few of these boundless - boundaries such as pure intelligence. He was so cautious to not corner Brahman with an attribute that the sisya would run off and think Brahman is just that ( small 't' used to suggest a definition on some thing that is beyond definition).

thanks for the post.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    I was reading Chapter 6 today (6.1.38 Nirvāṇa Prakaranam).
    Vasisthi asks, What is the method of worshiping the Lord which destroys all sins and promotes all auspiciousness? ( this was asked back in 6.1.29).

Siva goes on to say ' Do you know who God is?' and discusses this from 6.1.29 to 6.1.34. Starting 6.1.35 discusses Deva Puja with Vasistha...
    Now I fast forward to 6.1.38 which is a continuation of Diva Puja, and Lord Siva says

• 'Meditation alone is true worship. Hence one should constantly worship the Lord of the three worlds by means of meditation. How should one contemplate him? He is pure intelligence, he is as radiant as a hundred thousand suns risen together, he is the light that illumines all lights, he is the inner light, the limitless space is his throat, the firmament is his feet, the directions are his arms, the worlds are the weapons he bears in his hands, the entire universe is hidden in his heart, the gods are hairs on his body, the cosmic potencies are the energies in his body, time is his gate-keeper,and he has thousands of heads, eyes, ears and arms.
    • Meditation is the offering, meditation is the water offered to the deity to wash his hands and feet, self-knowledge gained through meditation is the flower indeed all these are directed towards meditation. The self is not realized by any means other than meditation.
    • If one is able to meditate even for thirteen seconds, even if one is ignorant, one attains the merit of giving away a cow in charity. If one does so for one hundred and one seconds, the merit is that of performing a sacred rite. If the duration is twelve minutes, the merit is a thousand fold. If the duration is of a day,one dwells in the highest realm. This is the supreme yoga, this is the supreme kriya (action or service). One who practices this mode of worship is worshipped by the gods and the demons and all other beings. However, this is external worship.
    • I shall now declare to you the internal worship of the self which is the greatest among all purifiers and which destroys all darkness completely. This is of the nature of perpetual meditation whether one is walking or standing, whether one is awake or asleep, in and through all of ones actions. One should contemplate this supreme Lord who is seated in the heart and who brings about, as it were, all the modifications within oneself.'
    ॐनमःिशवाय

pranams,

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    I was reading Chapter 6 today (6.1.38 Nirvāṇa Prakaranam).
    Vasisthi asks, What is the method of worshiping the Lord which destroys all sins and promotes all auspiciousness? ( this was asked back in 6.1.29).

Siva goes on to say ' Do you know who God is?' ----
    Namaste Yajvan,

The whole teaching was posted earlier. Thank you for refreshing and reviving.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=573

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,

The whole teaching was posted earlier. Thank you for refreshing and reviving. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=573

Om

Namste atanu,
    yes, how could I have missed this... There is never a time when picking up this Yoga Vasistha that I not inspired or learn something new from this work.

I was hoping to post the discussion of the coconut and the crow and kākātālīya.

pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,

For those that wish to read some of this great work, here is a site offering the pdf with ~ 70 pages of selected slokas and stories.
    http://homepage.mac.com/dbhill/.Public/Yoga%20Vasistha.pdf

For me, this is one of my, if not my, favorite book. It is insightful and one of the more valuable treaties I have had the opportunity to study. I am in debt to sage Valmiki for his works.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 December 2007 at 07:29 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Wink Re: Yoga-vasistha

Quote Originally Posted by Yajvan

I am in debt to sage VALMILKI for his works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yajvan

VALMILKI - the author of the Ramayana, is from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill.

VALMILKI’s original name was Ratnakar, and he had a dubious career (a robber of sorts). He was fortunate to correct his ways by meeting with some enlightened beings and they give him his new name VALMILKI from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill.

VALMILKI, the author of the Ramayana.
    Namaste Yajvan,

Sorry to be so pedantic, but the sage’s name is VALMIKI (correctly pronounced vAlmIki) not VALMILKI.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,

... but the sage’s name is VALMIKI (correctly pronounced vAlmIki)

thank you for the typo correction...the fingers have their own memory.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information