Thread: Story Source

Story Source

A friend recalls this outline of the tale:

As I recall it as a Hindu (or Buddhist?) story about a man who approached a Master and asked how long it would take him to attain Nirvana. The Guru told him it would take him one lifetime of perfect conduct or 100 years of destructive conduct. The man for whom even one day of perfection was beyond him, rejoiced, for "a hundred years will pass as a day, if by it I will attain Enlightenment"
    I cannot help her, for I am not familiar with the story; anyone here know the story and the source?

Re: Story Source

Vannakkam Skull:

I have no idea of the story's source, but there are several versions. Here is another.

Two disciples approach he Guru. The first disciple asks when he shall attain Self-realisation. The Guru asks the question back, "When do you think you will?" He proudly responds that he thinks it will be in this lifetime as he is practising so much. Then the Guru sends him on his way.

The second disciple approaches, asking the same thing, and once again, the Guru bounces the question back. This time the disciple answers, "It surely will take me a hundred lifetimes, I am so non-religious." Seeing the true humility in this man, the Guru grants His grace, and the man attains samadhi right there.

Of course this one is just an illustrative story of pride versus humility. I don't know the source either. Of course, these types of stories get repeated in the oral tradition, so the 'source' may not be the 'real' source.

Kind of like the rabbi, the minister, and the imam jokes, but always telling a lesson. Anyone else have different versions?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Story Source

As to the original quote: I've read several versions of this. In one version the disciple says he will practice harder and harder and the harder he says he will practice the longer the master says it will take.

A bit different but same theme:

"If you really wish to know the secret of sadhana, it can be explained through very simple methods. For example, make your mind steady and still for as short a period as eleven seconds. You can attain realisation even in such a short period. Realisation cannot be achieved by becoming restless like a clock. Just eleven seconds of stillness of mind would be enough." (Sathya Sai Baba discourse 2007-07-28)
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

Thread Information