Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Ramanuja

Re: Ramanuja

Yet again, philosoraptor, you raise some excellent points. This is one of the reasons I enjoy using HDF; it provides me with a valuable opportunity to broaden my understanding of my own tradition and that of others. So, thank you for your insightful comments. I consider myself to be placed in somewhat of an advantageous position, actually. I am relatively young and despite my love and preference for the Sri Caitanya Sampradaya, I make sure that I am familiar with the main tenets of other traditions. For example, I have a particular interest in Sri Vaishnavism and my deep love for this tradition essentially means that I have one foot in both camps.

Let me now try to respond to some of your points. Again, I should preface this by saying that the main thrust of what you are saying is compelling and very hard to argue against. What would really be wonderful is to get somebody of Satyanarayan das Babaji’s calibre to respond to this discussions (and others like it). Part of the big problem with the Caitanya tradition today is that, with the exception of a few individuals, we do not have the sort of scholars who could defend the main tenets of the tradition in a inter-Vedantic debate.

I argued that the scholastically fertile nature of the 15th and 16th century suggests that it would have been difficult for thinkers of various traditions to fabricate texts. My point was not specifically in reference to Sri Caitanya. You are quite right to suggest that Sri Caitanya’s polemics were, largely, of a non-Vedantic nature. In my view, that Caitanya’s devotional credentials were enough to win people over is really testament to the saintliness of his character. With particular respect to Jiva Goswami, I cannot agree with your suggestion that he was not writing for the sort of scholarly audience that I had in mind. That he expects his reader to be thoroughly well-versed in Vedanta and intimately familiar with the various nuances of different traditions is made very clear, for example, in his Bhagavata Sandarbha. The problem with English translations is that they tend to fill in what the Sanskrit leaves out: in other words, many a time Jiva Goswami simply quotes a few words of a particular Acharya’s bhasya without necessarily expanding upon it. Now despite the fact that this strategy may appear to lend to his work a somewhat cryptic feel, it indicates that the author expected his audience to be very familiar with the commentaries of the various Vedantic traditions.

You argue that Jiva’s arguments in the Tattva Sandarbha are not air-tight. It is only natural for adherents of other traditions to feel somewhat unconvinced about the merits of other tradition’s tenets. Fair enough. That you don’t find all of his arguments compelling doesn’t in any way however detract from my otherwise overwhelmingly positive assessment of his contribution and his theological ability. Many scholars, of both a partisan and non-partisan type, consider, for example, Sri Ramanuja’s concept of Aprthak-Siddhi to be flawed. Again, many scholars are not convinced with Sri Madhvacharya’s suggestion that Brahman is not the upadana-karana or material cause of the universe. The fact that members of a particular tradition do not find the tenets or arguments other rival schools compelling or ‘airtight’ is certainly not surprising and very much to be expected!

You write: ‘I note that modern Maadhvas don’t usually rely on these lost pramANa-s in modern debates’. This is a good point. I think it is important for Caitanya Vaishnava’s to ensure that when engaged in inter-Sampradayic discourse, they rely only on those pramanas that all participants regard as authoritative and therefore acceptable. In many ways, our historical reluctance to do this perhaps reflects on how poorly our philosophical and theological views are supported by shruti. Or, of course, it could just mean that the thinkers of this school regard the quotes that they furnish from smriti as sufficient.

With respect to Sri Caitanya’s divinity, I granted in my earlier post that many of these texts are not explicit. I would like to argue, however, that every tradition has the tendency of regarding its founder or pre-eminent acharyas as ‘special’ or divine in some way. For the Advaitins, Adi Sankara is Lord Shiva himself. According to the Tattvavadi’s, Sri Madhva is Vayu. According to some hagiographic accounts, Sri Ramanuja is regarded as an incarnation of Adi-Shesa. The Pushti-Margi’s, in turn, regard Vallabhacharya as an incarnation of Krishna’s lotus-mouth. None of these traditions, however, can point to explicit evidence in the scriptures to support their arguments. By and large, they adopt such views on faith and faith alone. The Caitanya Vaishnava’s, it could be argued, are no different.

Perhaps I was not clear with my passage on the Brahma Samhita. Let me clear, according to C.V. Lord Shiva is not a jiva. He falls outside the category of Jiva-Tattva altogether. He is said to occupy a unique ontological category of his own (Siva-Tattva) which is below and distinct from Vishnu Tattva. The Brahma Samhita text (sort of) suggests that Lord Shiva is a transformation of Lord Vishnu. Jiva is arguing that this should not be taken literally. There are two important points to be made here. First, according to C.V. everything other than Bhagavan (I.e. Jiva and Jagat) is regarded as a transformation of Bhagavan’s sakti. This is as applicable to the various Vedic divinities as it is to us and the universe. However, and this is point number two, such transformations do not, in any way whatsoever, affect the svarupa of Bhagavan. He remains unaffected by such transformation. That is why, Jiva Goswami argues that the milk-yoghurt analogy is only intended to convey the idea of cause and effect. Just as the effect is one with and yet different from its cause, so similarly, Shiva is one with and different from Bhagavan. Now you could argue that this causal relationship is common to all entities so why is Shiva being singled out- the only answer I can think of is that the text is somehow suggesting that the causal oneness and difference that subsists between Shiva and Bhagavan is somehow more pronounced. To suggest that Shiva is of the same category as other Vedic divinities is seriously to ignore an overwhelming number of texts that distinguish him from other such entities. He is, after all, and certainly not without reason, called Mahadeva.

The fact that I have not ‘studied these texts in great detail’ does not mean that I have not read them and therefore not familiar with their contents. Moreover, I have had the opportunity to read a very useful academic treatment of the Bhagavata Sandarbha, and the author, Professor Ravi M Gupta, essentially articulates a similar point in the work (the author is a CV practitioner himself). If you are interested the book can be purchased on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chaitanya-Va...1636571&sr=1-1

I would really appreciate it if you could refer me to the sort of references the Nimbarkis rely on to ‘prove’ the divinity of Sri Radha.

Thank you for the opportunity to engage in this meaningful discussion. I hope that I can continue to learn from your contributions on this forum.

Best,

Anuj
    Last edited by Venudhara; 19 June 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Pranams,

Just to clarify a point or two, I am not an "adherent of another tradition." At least, I don't have any sentimental attachment to any particular sampradAya. I introduced myself to this forum last year as a seeker, and that most accurately describes me. I do have a regular sadhana and am convinced that the Vaishnava paradigm most fits the teaching of the shruti and authentic smRitis. This is in spite of coming from a smArtha background and being taught about pancopAsana which I don't currently agree with. My readings have been primarily to see which system of Vaishnava philosophy does the best job explaining shAstra. Thus, when I say that someone's reasoning is not very convincing, it's not because of a sectarian motivation of trying to refute their point of view, but rather from the perspective of a seeker who is interested in being convinced.

I'm also not that convinced that 16th century Bengal was the intellectual powerhouse you claim that it was. Aside from the biographies, which describe Chaitanya's polemics as fairly one-sided, we have not witnessed the kind of outpouring of scholarly traditions from that region and time period as we have from, say, South India during the 8th to 11th centuries. I'm not really clear on who the learned vidvAns were whom you say would have challenged the authenticity of the unusual pramANas presented by some of the gosvAmI-s in their writings.

I agree that every sampradAya seems to have its "avatar," and I generally don't pay much attention to these claims. Having said that, I've never seen such overt emphasis on this as I have seen in ISKCON and the Swaminarayan groups. In ISKCON, Chaitanya's divinity is discussed as if it is an obvious fact, and Chaitanya murthies, aside from being present in most temples, are sometimes the only deities worshiped in some. I cannot understand why it is so important for GVs to get others to accept Chaitanya as Lord Himself, when they just don't have indisputable evidence to back this up.

I think I understand your position on Shiva vis-a-vis BrS 5.45 better, although just FYI, that position appears to be different from brahma-jijnasa's. And the fact remains that while Shiva is described as a transformation of Vishnu, no other entity in that text is so described. Thus, it is reasonable to opine that the author of the text is ascribing a unique status to Shiva, one which your/JV's interpretation is denying by suggesting that Shiva is only a transformation in the same sense that all other devas and achit entities are, i.e. shakti-parinAmavAda. I have no problem with shakti-parinAmavAda conceptually, but I'm just not convinced that this was the purport of this specific verse which describes Shiva's relationship to Vishnu. Also, as an aside, I know of no vedAntic precedent for establish a third class of living entity between the jIva and paramAtmA, and that was a doubt I expressed earlier on a previous thread.

I don't know how nimbArka followers would support their views on rAdhA, but I do know of a fair number of shlokas that discuss this subject. I will maybe open another thread on that subject in the near future.
    Last edited by philosoraptor; 20 June 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I think I understand your position on Shiva vis-a-vis BrS 5.45 better, although just FYI, that position appears to be different from brahma-jijnasa's. And the fact remains that while Shiva is described as a transformation of Vishnu, no other entity in that text is so described. Thus, it is reasonable to opine that the author of the text is ascribing a unique status to Shiva, one which your/JV's interpretation is denying by suggesting that Shiva is only a transformation in the same sense that all other devas and achit entities are, i.e. shakti-parinAmavAda. I have no problem with shakti-parinAmavAda conceptually, but I'm just not convinced that this was the purport of this specific verse which describes Shiva's relationship to Vishnu. Also, as an aside, I know of no vedAntic precedent for establish a third class of living entity between the jIva and paramAtmA, and that was a doubt I expressed earlier on a previous thread.
    Here I would like to draw attention to the emphasis above.
    Ascribing a unique status to guna avatara Shiva does not necessarily mean denying Shiva as a transformation in the same sense that all other devas and achit entities are, i.e. shakti-parinAmavAda!!!
    I think I was clear on this matter in my post in a thread Question about Brahma Samhita 5.45. See this post here:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...764#post102764

Thus guna avatara Shiva can easily be unique in his status as in between jivas and Lord Vishnu, but what people usually do not understand is the meaning of names "Brahma", "Indra", "Shiva" and other devatas.
    Some people think that names "Brahma", "Indra", "Shiva" etc refer to some particular persons or jivas by the name "Brahma", "Indra", "Shiva" etc, however this is not true!
    Names "Brahma", "Indra", "Shiva" etc, refer only to posts that a particular person or a jiva may temporarily perform as duty in service of Lord Vishnu. Just as in any country in the world we have the title "President" which is a post that some particular person temporarily performs as duty. Here I am putting the emphasis on "temporarily performs".
    Thus we have one typical misunderstanding like this:
    Some people may think "There is one particular person who is Brahma or Indra or guna avatara Shiva and he possesses that status forever, eternally". But this is wrong. To be Brahma, Indra, guna avatara Shiva etc does not mean to be some sort of being or class of living entity called Brahma, Indra, guna avatara Shiva etc, but it just means to hold a position of Brahma, Indra, guna avatara Shiva etc temporarily. Just like in the world we don't have sort of humans called "Mr. President".
    Some particular person or a jiva gets promoted to the position of Brahma, Indra, guna avatara Shiva according to his merits. During the period of time of performing his duties as Brahma or guna avatara Shiva, this person or jiva possesses some extraordinary powers and qualities that other jivas usually do not have.
    Now, guna avatara Shiva as a post may be in between ordinary jivas and Lord Vishnu, but that does not mean that there is a certain creature that belongs to the class of guna avatara Shiva, ie there is no class of living entity that is eternally guna avatara Shiva.

regards
    Last edited by brahma jijnasa; 19 June 2013 at 10:46 PM.

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Which brings me back to my original point - acceptance of shrI chaitanya's divinity requires belief in these obscure or simply not explicit texts.
    Unfortunately it seems that many explicit verses in generally accepted scriptures get lost, but even in the few extant Gaudiyas can find confirmation of Sri Caitanya's divinity. Here I will try to demonstrate this with a few examples quoted by Gaudiya acaryas Jiva Gosvami and others.

Bhāgavatam 7.9.38 (http://vedabase.net/sb/7/9/38/en) :

channaḥ kalau yad abhavas tri-yugo 'tha sa tvam

"... but in the age of Kali You conceal
    Yourself by appearing in a hidden form."

Viṣṇu-sahasra-nāmastotraḥ, Mahābhārata 13.135.75 says (http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/mbs/mbs13135.htm) :

saṃnyāsakṛc chamaḥ śānto niṣṭhā śāntiḥ parāyaṇam

"He will accept the sannyāsa order and He will be equipoised and
    peaceful. He will be utterly absorbed in devotion."

Bhāgavatam 11.5.32 (http://vedabase.net/sb/11/5/32/en) :

kṛṣṇa-varṇaḿ tviṣākṛṣṇaḿ
    sāńgopāńgāstra-pārṣadam
    yajñaiḥ sańkīrtana-prāyair
    yajanti hi su-medhasaḥ

"In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Kṛṣṇa. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Kṛṣṇa Himself. He is accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons and confidential companions."

Narada Purana 1.5.47 (http://gretil.sub.uni-goettingen.de/...a/nardp1_u.htm) :

ahameva dvijaśreṣṭha nityaṃ pracchannavigrahaḥ
    bhagavadbhaktarupeṇa lokākrakṣāmi sarvadā

"I shall advent in the form of a brahmana devotee and I shall hide my factual identity. I shall deliver all the worlds."

Here it says bhagavad-bhakta-rupena "devotee of The Lord" and pracchanna-vigrahah "I shall hide my factual identity". Compare this with the above statement of Bhāgavatam 7.9.38 channaḥ kalau "... but in the age of Kali You conceal Yourself by appearing in a hidden form."
    Compare lokam raksami sarvada "I shall deliver all the worlds" with Bhāgavatam 11.5.32 "In the age of Kali ... incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Kṛṣṇa".

Now taking into account all this above tell me about it, in which descent of the Lord He is known for being:

a) in the age of Kali
    b) concealed by appearing in a hidden form which indicates that He was not openly revealed his identity in public as The Lord Himself
    c) accept the sannyāsa order, absorbed in devotion
    d) advent in the form of a devotee of The Lord, by His activities "deliver all the worlds" which indicates that He influenced the great mass of people.
    How did he influenced the great mass of people? See the following:
    e) "In the age of Kali" ... "the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Kṛṣṇa", associated with sańkīrtana "congregational chanting"

It has been said about Śrī Caitanya and his mission:

Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 7.128
    "Instruct everyone to follow the orders of Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa as they are given in the Bhagavad-gītā and Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam. In this way become a spiritual master and try to liberate everyone in this land."

Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 18.220
    "Whoever met Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu became a Vaiṣṇava, and whoever met that Vaiṣṇava also became a Vaiṣṇava. In this way, all the towns and villages became Vaiṣṇava, one after the other."

"In every town and village, the chanting of My name will be heard." (Caitanya Bhagavata, Antya-khaṇḍa 4.126)

To someone who is skeptical, no verses will be "proof" for anything.

regards
    Last edited by brahma jijnasa; 23 June 2013 at 12:36 AM.

Thread Information