Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation: jalpa

Recommendation: jalpa

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I have a recommendation for HDF. On occasion there are words that are traded with one member to another i.e. darts from the lips.
    Somethings it cannot be helped that some friction arises and we end-up with jalpa ( arguments for the sake of victory over another). taking issue with a person's style or behavior vs. what one has written as an idea , response or concept.

Here is what I propose as an idea. Create a 'jalpa' folder in the Canteen area. Then one can take their issue there and the parties in question ( 2 or more) can then debate, exchange words as they see fit.
    Why do this? Why take it to a separate place? When this jalpa occurs within a string it blemishes the concept and the stream of conscious that is taking place within that particular forum.

The parties can take their issues there. If this does not occur under one's own motivation, then the HDF Administrator can 'pickup and transfer' the jalpa to this folder and leave a note that the posts have been moved accordingly.

I look to others for their feedback on this, and to our Administrator, satya for his assessment.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 September 2010 at 01:03 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Recommendation: jalpa

namast
    I like the idea! Argument can be constructive in the right environment

Vannakkam Yajvan: I agree in principle. Even if the two (if there are only two) agree to go to PMing each other would be fine. But I am unsure of the practicality of asking Satay to do more than he already does ... which is provide us with this forum, and moderate it well. Also, sometimes the whole idea of 'friction' is up for debate, as I think both you and I at least have experienced. Language that contains idioms for example may easily be misinterpreted by another, when there really was no harm or arrow intended. Often a general comment is taken personally.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Yajvan: I agree in principle. Even if the two (if there are only two) agree to go to PMing each other would be fine. But I am unsure of the practicality of asking Satay to do more than he already does ... which is provide us with this forum, and moderate it well. Also, sometimes the whole idea of 'friction' is up for debate, as I think both you and I at least have experienced. Language that contains idioms for example may easily be misinterpreted by another, when there really was no harm or arrow intended. Often a general comment is taken personally. Aum Namasivaya
    Yes, I see your point... Billy really didn't mean to insult Sally's intelligence or her inability to ___________ ( fill in the blank). This can be worked out. But IMHO work it out in PM's.
    When that does not occur then I think intervention from our Admin may be in due order.

Now it must be up to our Admin to assess his bandwidth and determine if this is possible for him to accomplish. We should see what his comments are regarding this matter.

Being on HDF for some time I have seen issues swell ( turn sour) and tempers flare. What good comes from this I do not know. Many say from friction a fire is born, yet many with the sticks use them as clubs and the fire is never created for the benefit of others.

We have offered different ideas to mitigate this concern yet none bear fruit. I think this approach is simple and can provide for a healthier environment , yet my views are bias.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste,
    Well, we can definitely create a new folder called jalpa and move posts/threads accordingly. That's not an issue.

The main issue is to 'detect' that jalpa is going on because it gets mingled with good posts. For example, if sally hits harry with some remarks, harry might post something that is very good but include some 'jalpaying' (my own word) remarks of his own. Now, in that case, do I move the whole post or thread to jalpa or just some posts there.

I rely on members to report such posts. Once I get a report either via PM or email, I take swift and quick action (as much as possible).

Second issue, I myself get caught in this 'jalpa' more often than I would like. If you see this happening, I would like the esteemed members to PM me or email me and advice so that I can see the forest for the trees and possibly stop before I make an a$$ out of myself and others.

That said, definitely, we can create a Jalpa folder and I can move posts there.

Thanks,
    satay

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté satya,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste,
    Well, we can definitely create a new folder called jalpa and move posts/threads accordingly. That's not an issue.

The main issue is to 'detect' that jalpa is going on because it gets mingled with good posts. For example, if sally hits harry with some remarks, harry might post something that is very good but include some 'jalpaying' (my own word) remarks of his own. Now, in that case, do I move the whole post or thread to jalpa or just some posts there.

I rely on members to report such posts. Once I get a report either via PM or email, I take swift and quick action (as much as possible).

Second issue, I myself get caught in this 'jalpa' more often than I would like. If you see this happening, I would like the esteemed members to PM me or email me and advice so that I can see the forest for the trees and possibly stop before I make an a$$ out of myself and others.

That said, definitely, we can create a Jalpa folder and I can move posts there. Thanks,
    Thank you for your feedback... Let me test my understanding ( so far):
    1. Many , and there is just a few so far, think this idea has merit.
    2. It is operationally possible - as you have offered your kind assistance to get this done.
    3. Reporting this jalpa - this will be done to you in a PM or any other method you prefer.
    It seems this jalpa should be self-evident in your eyes but if not I suggest you ask for the infraction that you may not see.
    3a. If you become caught in this net, it will be the responsibility of some of the Sr. Members to call this to your attention and consume the same medicine that is offered to others i.e. your post in full or in part will be re-located to the jalpa folder.

4. Regarding the part of the post that may be co-mingled with jalpa. My recommendation is do what is needed. If you think to just remove the issue, i.e. condescending words, etc. and send it to the jalpa folder then that is the action to take. If you think a complete extraction is needed then pursue that. Why would a complete extraction (the whole post of the individual ) be needed? To insure the context is preserved on why Sally thinks Billy is an intellectual midget or for holding a view that is obtuse to Sally's POV said with words that are condesending.

Again , why do this? To preserve the quality of the post that is in-process and to not co-mingle personal agendas between two or
    more members that choose to debate-deride or cajole negative communication unrelated to the HDF post that is being pursued.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 September 2010 at 05:38 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Why would a complete extraction (the whole post of the individual ) be needed? To insure the context is preserved on why Sally thinks Billy is an intellectual midget or for holding a view that is obtuse to Sally's POV said with words that are condesending.

Again , why do this? To preserve the quality of the post that is in-process and to not co-mingle personal agendas between two or
    more members that choose to debate-deride or cajole negative communication unrelated to the HDF post that is being pursued.

praṇām
    Definitely. I will make the new subforum this weekend if not earlier. Let's try this approach and see...

And yes, I have no problem consuming the same medicine.
    satay

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast satya,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    And yes, I have no problem consuming the same medicine.

We all will assume this will occur very rarely

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Post of EM brought from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Sahsranam: I've been struggling with this lately. Sometimes differences of opinion are taken personally as severe criticism. The whole of Hinduism has its faults here and there, depending on points of view. I'd hate to see us all fall into the 'we're perfect' syndrome that some of the Abrahamics have. How can one improve if faults aren't seen by themselves or subtly pointed out by others. I also think there is a tactful way versus a hurtful way. I know I often hesitate to express my personal opinion for fear of being jumped on all over by people who disagree with said opinion. So I just hold it back. I'm sure some others are the same. Is it too much to ask to allow opinions and all the varying points of view to be expressed without thinking its a personal attack on another view?

An example is my view that Christ didn't exist. That's just my view. Others have theirs, and with me, that's fine as there is no proof either way. All of it is just opinion.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM

I fully agree with you, noting at the same time that there may be some higher quality, which allows one to say one's view yet not attract unwanted controversy and criticism. In this I will point out brahman, yajvan, and saidevo. On the other hand, in some cases, the language used itself is of such quality that others shut up -- preferring the ignoring-passive path. Some, mainly one member, have held me responsible of this on few occassions.

A second problem may be mixing of mundane-political with the spiritual. I suggest that the mundane-political should be restricted to the political-hot topics or other suitable threads -- and then a political view should not be held as HDF view.

A third style of posting that irritates (me) is when a poster brings up a value opinion matter, which might have been shown to be meaningless scripturally, again and again subtly or mixes with other matters. However, since this irritates me, this is my problem.

The above are my opinions only.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 10 September 2010 at 06:23 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Pranam All

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté satya,

We all will assume this will occur very rarely

I am afraid i am averse to medicine, i cant swallow that bitter pill.

i much rather have views expressed then those who sit back and feel good about themselves. those neutral view many times are also very condescending. if someone is abusive there is already a remedy for it.
    off course when one debates or argues the poison may result in the end only amrit will flow, well thats my opinion, perhaps this post would be the first candidate for the Jalpa folder.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Last edited by Ganeshprasad; 10 September 2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Thread Information