Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About western people in Hindu Temples

A bone-littered nest in the bottom of a pit deep in the jungles of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

Re: About western people in Hindu Temples

I forget the name of it, but I have read of a temple in south india known to supposedly be the only temple dedicated soley to Nataraj, does anyone know if that temple bars westerners? I can try to find out the name of it if need be.

Vannakkam Ashvati:

The temple is Chidambaram, and as far as I know it doesn't ban non-Hindus. I had no problem there, but my guide was my friend originally from here, and he knows the priests well. I also look the part of a Hindu while on pilgrimage. (other than the obvious) So 99% sure it would be open to all.

Aum Namasivaya

What about the Temples in Ayodhya? Would those be open to Westerners?

A bone-littered nest in the bottom of a pit deep in the jungles of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Ashvati:

The temple is Chidambaram, and as far as I know it doesn't ban non-Hindus. I had no problem there, but my guide was my friend originally from here, and he knows the priests well. I also look the part of a Hindu while on pilgrimage. (other than the obvious) So 99% sure it would be open to all.

Aum Namasivaya
    Good, its on my list of places to visit on a pilgrimage. I'd be crushed to go through all the trouble of going on a pilgrimage only to discover that I can't get past the front door of one of my major destinations because of being a "whindu". Do you have any pictures from there or did they not allow them to be taken?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashvati View Post
    Good, its on my list of places to visit on a pilgrimage. I'd be crushed to go through all the trouble of going on a pilgrimage only to discover that I can't get past the front door of one of my major destinations because of being a "whindu". Do you have any pictures from there or did they not allow them to be taken?
    Vannakkam Ashvati: I'm not the picture kind of guy, but most of the larger temples have their own websites. Just browse on line. If you ever go, let me know. I'm sure my friend would host you there. He's retired and walks over to temple 4 or 5 days a week.

Watching this will give you a sense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-qrBQABD0

Aum Namasivaya

Hare Krishna, when I was in Puri, I tried to enter Jagannatha Temple with other western devotees, but guards stopped us, though we were in saris. So I think for western people Jagannatha Temple is closed in any case :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Kristina View Post
    Hare Krishna, when I was in Puri, I tried to enter Jagannatha Temple with other western devotees, but guards stopped us, though we were in saris. So I think for western people Jagannatha Temple is closed in any case :-(
    All temples which have strong smarta alliance in their theology will do this. These days many temples though technically smarta may not implement this except for places this discriminatory practice have continued for milliniums without any change, eg the Jagannath temple of puri.

Other may have "Only Hindus are allowed inside the temple" board outside the temple, but the definition is left fuzzy and most poeople are allowed inside.

This is a shame because, the entire concept of temple worship is not of smarta orgin but of agamic origin. Yet following adi shankara it is the smarta who contol the temples.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    This is a shame because, the entire concept of temple worship is not of smarta orgin but of agamic origin. Yet following adi shankara it is the smarta who contol the temples.
    Can you please back up your statement above? It seems like you have disdain for Adi Sankara. Why?

And who said "Smartas control the temples"? The Chidambaram Temple in Tamil Nadu is Iyengar (VisiStadvaita) and they too are very orthodox; I'm not sure if they bar non-Hindus from entering however.

Of all the temples, the Guruvayoor Temple in Kerala is definitely Smarta and is very orthodox; something very good IMO ().

Smartas, rather than Vaishnavites and Shaivites, have actually been far more inclusive philosophically speaking. I am aware that many south Indian Smartas are very orthodox and are quite particular about cleanliness and so they don't want mlecchas to be allowed inside temples.

I'm curious as to why you say, "Smartas control temples". It would be certainly nice if they did so that all temples can be orthodox and make sure only the most devoted are allowed inside! Yet, this is certainly not the case.

What can we do besides sitting outside the temple and sulk?

I think we are very bad people for not being born in India, eh!

What can we do besides sitting outside the temple and sulk?

I think we are very bad people for not being born in India, eh!
    If you undergo a formal Hindu name-giving ceremony (namakarana samskara) and change your name (first and last) legally to a Hindu name, then many temples that only allow Hindus to enter will allow you in when you show them your passport and namakarana samskara certificate.

Thread Information