Thread: Chapter one mixing

Chapter one mixing

Hi,

Bit confused with Chapter 1 sloka 40

Whats wrong in mixing of castes, mixing is choice of people, prime directives of God residing in all, all human beings equal, and Karma yoga, these do not tie in with this verse, or have i missed something

Thank you

Re: Chapter one mixing

Namasté Dogra
    To me these verses 32 onwards are spoken by Arjuna whilst distressed about killing his family and kinsmen e.g. 1.37. With his mind, inflicted with sorrow and pessimism, he explains how the act of killing family will lead to the demise of the whole structure of society i.e. caste and respect for women.

All of this will be explained correctly by Sri Kishna and Arjuna's mind put to rest.

I don't see these verses promoting hate or going against freewill, but rather they show how Arjuna's most solemn thoughts have taken hold of him (something many of us may recognise in our own thinking patterns when depressed).

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Perhaps another way to view this is saying what is right with purity? Purity increases effectiveness, beauty, quality, etc. We expect purity in our foods we consume.
    If I do not mix the proper ingredients the final product is less then desirable.

Inter-mixture is a concern of arjuna's. He understands that with inter-mixture various actions, activities, dharma are co-mingled. A clear path is less visible.
    He is advocating the preservation of family traditions, and they are different from one varṇa¹ to another.

IMHO arjuna's thoughts are noble.

Yet in these modern times we wish to have full choice and the focus is on the individual 'me' and how it benefits one's status, desires, goals and objectives.
    Yet there was a time when the attention was on 'we' and how the society overall benefited and what was clear and beneficial to the whole; the laws of dharma Where very prevelent.

Today we wish all the freedoms of choice, but do not have an understanding of the responsibilities that accompany that choice. We think ,
    If my actions do not harm anyone then they are okay... this IMHO is folly. Actions go far and wide.

praām

words

varṇa - outward appearance , exterior , form , figure , shape , color; some may use the word jāti for class , tribe , order , caste;brahman , kṣatriya , vaiśya , and śūda , the four principal classes described in manu's code.
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 September 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Perhaps another way to view this is saying what is right with purity? Purity increases effectiveness, beauty, quality, etc. We expect purity in our foods we consume.
    If I do not mix the proper ingredients the final product is less then desirable.

Inter-mixture is a concern of arjuna's. He understands that with inter-mixture various actions, activities, dharma are co-mingled. A clear path is less visible.
    He is advocating the preservation of family traditions, and they are different from one varṇa¹ to another.

IMHO arjuna's thoughts are noble.
    Namasté Yajvan and Dogra
    I like the positive approach you take to answering this Yajvan. It is true that Arjuna's thoughts are for his family and kin, less than of his own well fair and there is nobility in his concerns.

Hi All.
    Thanks for the responses.
    I think that inter mixing is not of concern, as guna determines what a person becomes, and hence going with god resides in all verse, together karma yoga, we have to function for the best of society in terms of free from any discrimination, single individual determinant, and not caste tag.
    Time to shun caste tag, considring the plethora of problems caused by it, which was never intention of Lord Krishna.

Thread Information