Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All roads lead to the same end. (my conception of god)

All roads lead to the same end. (my conception of god)

Vannakam all,

Recently I have been trying to comprehend that which cannot be comprehended by the human mind. That which has various labels, but no real name. I am of course talking of the supreme being. Here is how I try to conceive of that which is.

This being is not a being in the traditional sense. It is a being only because we need to relate to our creator. To my understanding, god could never truly be a being, because a being has form, a being can only be in one place at any time, a being exists within space and time. And in my belief, none of these things apply to that which is. It has never not existed, it existed before time, and will exist forever after. That which is has no beginning or end.

Another point I would like to make is that god exists not only in our universe, not only the x number of universes that exists. It also exists in a realm where there is no time or space. It is unfathomable, this concept of no form, no space, no time. It is impossible to understand by human minds. Maybe when one attains Moksha one realizes the truth of the eternal being.

On that note I would like to shift focus to the nature of religion. I have come to believe that the path that one chooses is the right path for them. For me it is Hinduism, for another, Christianity, for some, the teachings of Zoroaster. All of them lead to the same end. That is the return to Brahman, the universal consciousness. Even atheism is a religion of sorts, it is not the absence of a belief. It is the belief that there is no god. But for some atheists, their conception of god is a personification, a partial, formed god. So while I do not agree with them. Their path leads to god as well (although they may not know it). I do not dig spreading my own religion. I believe in teh concept of freedom to choose. Who should I be to impede that choice.

Finally, I would like to note something about the universal consciousness (brahman). It is my earnest belief that we exist both outside and inside ourselves. Because we are all partitions of the universal mind, we all exist within one another. So to hate one another is to hate the self. Which is a good case for ahimsa

Sorry if that was long winded, overblown, trite, or any other negative adjectives pertaining to pretention. If you read this, post your conception of god, if you are comfortable with that. Thanks for reading, this is the ramblings of one who thinks they know but truly don't. I hope if nothing else, you found it an interesting (if albeit not totally original) look at the nature of the supreme being.

Namaste

Re: All roads lead to the same end. (my conception of god)

When the human mind gets the notion that it can see all that there is to be seen, it goes off on the wrong track. We can validate physical phenomenon with experiments in a lab or by performing mental gymnastics; but when we rise to the intellectual vanity of discarding the scriptures in favor of exercising our limited intellect in hypothesizing Him, when we identify Him as a being with human constraints, we fall flat on our face. To deny that the Lord Himself appeared on this earth and spoke Bhagwad Gita to Arjun is totally irrational.

We think of everyone in terms of our human existence. The Lord can be here, in what we identify as the human form, and still be everywhere else; running the universe, and knowing all that is going on in it. To limit His presence to one spot as if He were a common human being, is denying His limitless glory.

The notion of all paths leading to the top is to me a great misconception. One could take a path which circumambulates the base of a mountain, or one could take a trail which leads him to the top of the mountain. Or one could take a path that leads him half way up the mountain and then makes him go in circles. This idea of putting all religions at the same level and thinking that they all lead us to the Divine is a very shallow statement to me. Some lead you to nirvana and others to suicide bombings. And, we get to choose which one we want to follow.
    Last edited by Believer; 17 October 2010 at 04:41 AM.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

The Supreme in a word is anirukta, unspeakable.
    Yet we try to put it in some framework, some boundry that allows our mind(s) to get a flavor of this...

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vannkam

There is no way to truly fathom the supreme. I agree with you believer on the idea of god being in only one place as totally myopic.

As for the following the path ideal. I do not mean that one necessarily reaches the goal by following the right path for them. In fact, they may never attain the goal in that lifetime, I'm just saying that one should not assume that there is one "True" path.

I have no illusions that I have seen the divine. I have not even come close to that realization. I am just trying to conceptualize god in a way that makes sense to me (and I have a constant need to justify myself) Although I will not truly comprehend the true nature of god. I can always ponder.

Namaste Eric,

I just had this converstation with a friend of mine yesterday as I was telling her that I am now a practicing Hindu. She is a Christian and thankfully was open to my ideas.

My experience in the past with Christianity is that it can be a very judgemental religion. I have been in many Christian churches of many denominations and have had the same experience with members wanting to "Save" non believers.

I as you believe that as long as one truly believes and follows their religion in their heart that they will be lead to God. Of course, as long as some basic rules of humanity are followed ie not murdering others for example as someone mentioned above. Also, a loving God would not turn away one that truly believes they are doing the right thing.

Seva,
    Melissa

namaste everyone.

I totally agree with Believer's statement, "The notion of all paths leading to the top is to me a great misconception." He has also explained how, nicely.

Human mind--manas, deals with abstract--amUrtha, and concrete--mUrtha, thoughts. While our intellect--buddhi, is satisfied with the amUrtha, the mind requires it to be shaped up--mUrtha. This is the reason that all relgions have reduced the concept of God into a (human) form.

A God-form must perforce limit the infinite consciousness. To get around this limitation, religions attribute the features of infinite power, eternal glory, infinite love, justice, and even human traits such as fury and vengeance to God.

Only one religion, Hindu Dharma, has realized and proclaimed the Absolute Truth of Eternal and Infinite Existence-Consciousness-Bliss that exists beyond the God-forms, in everything and that every individual soul has the legacy to get back to and merge with its source.

Sun is reflected in all the forms of stagnant or flowing water. In some, the image is clear and still; in some, the image is graceful and loving as in a classical form of dance; in some, the image is distorted; while the ocean is in turmoil to completely get rid of any formed reflection.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by Eric11235 View Post
    I'm just saying that one should not assume that there is one "True" path.
    True, I am not assuming anything. If one accepts the relative superiority of one religion over the others in terms of its philosophy, the vastness of its religious literature, and the quality of its adherents, why should it not be accepted as the true path? Is it just out of looking good by taking the high moral ground, that we should feign humility and thereby accept our faith as "at the same level" as others? Sorry, disagree with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    Only one religion, Hindu Dharma, has realized and proclaimed the Absolute Truth of Eternal and Infinite Existence-Consciousness-Bliss that exists beyond the God-forms, in everything and that every individual soul has the legacy to get back to and merge with its source.

Namaste Eric11235 and All

As I understand, based upon what hindu gurus say, one difference between Hinduism and other faiths is that it does not proclaim that it alone shows the path to liberation.

But that belief can be antithetic to the belief itself, if not tempered with the knowledge of the fact that Paramatman who wants to grace the devotee anywhere is one and same and has no preference. In this regard I paste the following oft cited teaching:

http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part1/chap6.htm

I essentially believe the same way as you believe.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

There is a difference in the statement "there are more paths to the same goal" and "all paths lead to the same goal." Do you understand the difference? The notion that all roads lead to the same goal is logically flawed. Not just that, but it is also contradictory to the shruti: मैतम पन्थामनुगा भीम एष् "Do not walk on this path, this path is horrifying." If all paths led to the same goal, the shruti would not need to warn against any path. You are free to accept the notion that all paths lead to the same goal, but note that when you do that, you are rejecting both the authority of the vedas and critical thinking. You are free to do both.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 22 September 2010 at 07:09 AM.

Vannakkam:

What are the goals of various religions? Should we analyze it from the perspective of our own religion, or should we ask the various adherents what their goals are? I liken it to a family going out for ice cream. Dad likes blueberry ice cream so he buys 7 blueberry ice creams to share. This is clearly not listening to others point of view, and thereby disrespecting them. Of course the standard way would be to ask each family member what flavor he or she wants.

I do not believe all religions lead to the same goal. Why? Because I've asked other adherents what they think. The western religions more or less agree that we have one lifetime to either get to heaven or not. This is nowhere near what Sanatana dharma believers believe. Even within Sanatana dharma there is some disagreement.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information