Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Dharmic Discussion Sticky

Potential Dharmic Discussion Sticky

We, the dharmic people of the HDF, conduct many discussions on various topics. There are some rules of engagement, which if followed would make you come out on top in any debate that you choose to take part in. Here are some guidelines:

1. ALWAYS quote a seer, a scripture or a random Sanskrit verse in support of your position
    **. By doing this you are deflecting others from arguing against you; instead you are pitting your opponent against the Acharyas/Shastras of his own faith. That will surely make his knees weak, and you will prevail. ( If you are a Universalist, a verse from scriptures of other religions may also be used)

2. Try to show phony affection for others by using words like, "my dear xxx", "with love", "my humble obeisances", "warm regards" etc. This will make others feel like you really care about them and they will acquiesce.

3. Don't be bashful. Be condescending as much as possible. Pretend that you are the 'high priest' and are talking to a bunch of 5 year olds.

4. Use tags like "shrill", "shallow", "unsupported", "hearsay", "baseless canards", "unholy" etc., when describing your opponent's position. This invalidates anything meaningful that they might be saying.

5. In order to be a moving target, be vague; never summarize your position in a short paragraph. Instead, provide half a dozen links in your post. First thing, it shows that you are well read. Secondly, they will spend 2 hours reading the stuff in the links, which may be totally unrelated to the topic, then get bored/frustrated and throw in the towel.

6. If you want attention drawn to something dear to your heart, inject it into an ongoing heated discussion. Some people may take the bait and digress and start discussing your topic, which otherwise might go unnoticed in its own thread.

7. If you are currently in India, make sure you let that be known to everyone. Your physical proximity to seers and famous temples adds to your credence.

8. Be gullible. Always take the position that anything goes in Hinduism, that it is all encompassing, that what made it strong is its encouragement of non-sensical open ended discussions, and that Hindus believe all paths lead to God.

9. Take the moral high ground. Be a secular pacifist. That way your opponents appear to be saffron terrorists. You can let your imagination run wild and even liken them to Hitler.

10. Never consider Hindu unity to be a factor in your discussions. Spew out ego fueled raw garbage against the sampradayes that you are not part of. Remember, what makes you feel good and enforces least number of restrictions on your lifestyle is the best sampradaye to latch on to; and that is the only one worth protecting.

There are probably other strategies too, but I ran out of room on my stone and am limiting the list to ten commandments.

To reiterate, you don't have to be right, just tricky enough to come out on top. Your aim is not spiritual advancement or increasing your scriptural knowledge, but to score points by overpowering others in a debate. At the end of the year, member with the most points gets an all expense paid trip for two (you can only bring a person of the opposite sex please), to Disneyland, California, USA. Good luck
    only to all Sanatan Dharmic contestants.

No disrespect is meant to our revered Gurus, past and present; to our sacred scriptures or to the pristine Sanskrit verses full of knowledge. This point is to emphasize the twisting of information from these sources to match one's personal POV.
    -
    -
    Last edited by Believer; 10 May 2011 at 09:55 AM.

Re: Potential Dharmic Discussion Sticky

I actually caught the sarcasm. ^_^

I am sorry that you feel that way. I was just making some public service announcements. I can edit the post if it is offensive to you.

The TRUTH of this HDF !!!!!!!!

Jus kidding.

Appreciate your observation

Love and best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    ...they will spend 2 hours reading the stuff in the links, which may be totally unrelated to the topic, get bored/frustrated and throw in the towel.
    My favourite! Sometimes when I wanted to answer a post and realize I have to read those links/texts to make the answer... but after 30 min of not coming halfway I realize... what the heck Im I doing? This post will be forgotten in a day or two!
    A better way is to just collect a bunch of quote which you save and then copy past them as answers, since the same topics will come again and again.
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

My dearest friend Believer,

Namaste,

I am so grateful for the insights you were able to share with us. If we stop and think about them though, we can see that they were produced with the limited faculty called the logical brain. Apparently, you did not have the opportunity in your life to meet great sages to help you realize that intuition is superior to logical thinking.

On the other hand, since I live close to one of the greatest Hindu pilgrims on earth, I had the opportunity to meet with various saints, sages and prophets. I am capable of dictating various lectures and sayings of these saints. I am also capable of quoting their translations and interpretations of the scriptures. But in this discussion, which unfortunately, I have to say is below my dignity, it suffices to say that your points are shrill, shallow and unsupported. Therefore, I will not respond in regard to the content of your ten commandments. I might even have to contact Satay to moderate this thread.

I know you have the best of intentions and I could understand why you would present arguments like you just did. I was deeply amused after reading your post and I want to sincerely thank you for the laughter. The problem I have with your post however is that I am not sure if Muslims would appreciate the same innocent banter or if Christians would be able to understand it in the first place. Remember that this is a Hindu website and Hindu not only means that we have to accommodate people of all religions, but also people without religion.

I humbly present you this message. I am nothing but a servant of the great sages of Hinduism.

May Allah, Jahweh or the one universal God bless,

Best wishes,

Sahasranama
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 24 September 2010 at 01:15 PM.

--- PUNK'D ---
    Last edited by Believer; 25 September 2010 at 12:57 AM.

Dear Believer,

I am highly suprised that you are claiming to be spreading a Hindu viewpoint. Can you quote me the words of one Hindu Acharya that preached between the period of 1860 till 2001 that agrees with your viewpoints? With Hindu acharya, I mean someone born in India, in a brahmin family, who has taken sannyasa, specifically in a shankaracharya mutt and who has lived in the USA for at least ten years.

I am sure that it was your intention to include the behavior of all posters, but what you have written here is not universal enough. God is one, the universe is one, your words are many.

There are prophets in SD?

See http://www.google.nl/ for all your answers.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 24 September 2010 at 02:18 PM.

At this point Im getting lost... I no longer know who is arguing with who and about what.
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanta View Post
    At this point Im getting lost... I no longer know who is arguing with who and about what.
    We all get lost in our sadhana towards the one divine being. It is only natural. But since all paths lead to the same goal, getting lost is not a problem.

Thread Information