Thread: 'Mahatmas' of Theosophy as Sikh leaders?

Arrow 'Mahatmas' of Theosophy as Sikh leaders?

Greetings,

Does anyone have any idea about credibility of Paul Johnson's theory about "mahatmas" described by H. P. Blavatsky and H. I. Roerich?
    The idea is that Koot Hoomi and Morya are in fact Sikh political leaders who tried to get support of Russia for making India free from the British. Possibly they had support from Tibet in face of Tashi-Lama's group.

Some info is here:
    http://www.katinkahesselink.net/his/kp_john2.htm
    And other materials on the same site.

Re: 'Mahatmas' of Theosophy as Sikh leaders?

What I have been told by an older well-read, thoughtful friend of Paul is that some of this is not just a theory, but that the Mahatmas stated they were Sikh. It is said they stated this in their Mahatma Letters, which I am still reading, and I have not gotten to that part. Though I have not got there it seems it is maybe a Theosophical consensus. I do not know about the political part yet, though I may have read them saying things like India is better in ways than the West and that the British do not really know what they are doing in India. This does not necessarily mean that they were not enlightened--at least in the sense of being educated/wise and compassionate--though, though one might wonder about the political situation involved with Theosophy.

Re: 'Mahatmas' of Theosophy not Sikh leaders

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    What I have been told by an older well-read, thoughtful friend of Paul is that some of this is not just a theory, but that the Mahatmas stated they were Sikh. It is said they stated this in their Mahatma Letters,
    Your friend is mistaken; as is Paul Johnson regarding theosophical Sikh masters. In the Mahatma Letters and elsewhere, those Brothers that Blavatsky knew said they were Buddhists.

That does not mean there are no Sikh Mahatmas, just that those writing the ML were Buddhists.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjuna View Post
    Greetings,

Does anyone have any idea about credibility of Paul Johnson's theory about "mahatmas" described by H. P. Blavatsky and H. I. Roerich?
    The idea is that Koot Hoomi and Morya are in fact Sikh political leaders who tried to get support of Russia for making India free from the British. Possibly they had support from Tibet in face of Tashi-Lama's group.

Some info is here:
    http://www.katinkahesselink.net/his/kp_john2.htm
    And other materials on the same site.
    Roerich was a world traveler, and I think post-1917 spent most of his time outside Russia.
    His basic focus and those of his adherents today seem to be religion, rather than politics.

His adherents have a Roerich Forum:
    http://forum.roerich.info/index.php
    It's in Russian, but if you need something, you can ask me by PM.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by rakovsky View Post
    if you need something, you can ask me by PM.
    Your enthusiasm is commendable but responding to people who have not made a post in several years and are not active in the forum any more is fruitless. Besides there isn't much appetite in the forum for writings of self styled Western experts of Hinduism who come up with their hair brained theories about every aspect of Hindu history and philosophy. I hope the moderators are keeping tabs on what shows up in the forum.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Your enthusiasm is commendable but responding to people who have not made a post in several years and are not active in the forum any more is fruitless. Besides there isn't much appetite in the forum for writings of self styled Western experts of Hinduism who come up with their hair brained theories about every aspect of Hindu history and philosophy. I hope the moderators are keeping tabs on what shows up in the forum.

Pranam.
    A response can be to the idea or question, not the person, thus no problem. As for 'hair brained theories', I agree about Paul Johnson's notions.
    Basically, there is not even one buddha, only great wisdom. Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua

Thread Information