Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Something I noticed about SOME convert Hindus

Re: Something I noticed about SOME convert Hindus

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    It's funny you would mention Justice of the Peace, tomorrow is my wedding anniversary to my beloved husband and we were married at the court house by the aged Justice in their beautiful historical courthouse.
    We were married by a Justice of the Peace. 2 witnesses and my parents came. Then later we took Hindu rites. In the US perhaps the term just a marriage commissioner. Boat Captains also did it. I have been to several such marriages. I like them of course as it has no Christianity at all. My son's wedding in the Dominican Republic was the same, a marriage commissioner who was quite busy performing all the non-Christian weddings which in itself is gaining a lot in popularity. Its cheaper in the long run and everyone gets a week in the sun.

I don't have any stats on hand, but the rate of secular cremation is also definitely on the increase.

Here;s a Canadian versus US poll showing our differences though.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...gion-poll.html

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 21 December 2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Believer: I'll try to discuss some of your points. I reiterate that your previous post read way too far between the lines insinuating I was reacting emotionally. But hey that's your right. Perhaps there were some unintentional suggestions unknown to me in the words.

Regarding 'Indian culture' and my not knowing it was just another way of stating its vastness. I think its more vast than European culture is, and don't believe a Spanish person would want a Dutch person speaking for them in India or in North America. Sure there would be a lot in common, but also a lot of differences. Now my familiar version of 'Indian culture' is actually Sri Lankan Tamil culture. Here in my city I have attended various functions by various cultural entities from India. I've been to the Bengali Association's celebration of Durga Puja that coincides with Navaratri. I've been to a fairly strict Smarta but North Indian temple. I've attended functions by Tamil Cultural Association, Kannada Association of Alberta, Telegu Association, a Gujarati Association picnic, observed Sikh parade, gone to a Hindu 'Kerala group' function, a Malayalee wedding dominated by the Malayalee Christians here. Yet again I attended an awards program sponsored by the Council of Indian Societies. I've also touched bases with people from the local Fijian Sanatan Society, the Caribbean Hindu Association, etc.

So yes I have indeed seen some 'Indian Culture' but its a word that is misunderstood here in the west because people don't tend to explain the vastness such as I just did. I think its important, especially for westerners, to have a sense of this complexity. One can hardly lay claim to knowing much 'Indian culture' if they happen to spend a week in Goa on the beaches where Europeans flock.

Even in China there are some 25 ethnic minorities with populations over 100 000. Most people just refer to them as 'Chinese' , which quite likely an insult to the people within those cultures.

Your sense that western 'non-culture' is still vaguely attached to Christianity is only partially true. It holds for some. Still there are many who marry via the 'justice of the peace' method just for legal reasons, as well as many who don't marry at all. Same thing with funerals. Often a Christian minister is asked to perform a marriage because he or she is just handier than finding a marriage commissioner, or they do it for free as a friend might. Once again there is huge variety.

Besides this, the US and Canada vary quite a lot. I notice it each time I cross the border. Various states vary as well. Utah and Hawaii are excellent examples as states that stand out. A good linguist can often tell which state an American is from merely by the accent.

As far as your last bit about reading positivity, I do that, but I would humbly request the same. It must be indeed frustrating to come on here and see some of the viciousness put forth by certain esteemed members. You and I don't need to add to that flow.

Let's not forget the OP either, which was basically saying some western Hindus have an overly positive view of India. That happened to me as well. I had some misconceptions. So here is a question for you and others regarding the East/West divide. Which would be easier, moving to India, or moving from India regarding culture shock. I'll hold my view back for a moment.

Aum Namasivaya
    Are you in Edmonton? I live in Edmonton near to the Edmonton Sri Sathya Sai Baba Centre.

When I see people eating meat it upsets me greatly. Not only that, but the way people take great pleasure in the consumption of flesh of other creatures, in complete ignorance.

I guess this stems from my own past when I used to eat meat myself, and I suppose my shame is a projection of that. I think we all need to cultivate mindfulness of our emotions more and distance ourselves from any negatives.

Om Shanti.

I admit I have only read the first page of this thread, so sorry if the topic is now different, but yes, I understand. At first I was guilty of this, but then I realized on my drive to the temple that on the same street is a church, a mosque, and a temple. How blessed are we to have such freedom!! I have been told that on special occasions all of the places of worship on that street work together to figure out parking. Hindus are welcome to park at the mosque/church on days such as Ganesh Chaturthi, and on Eid, Muslims can park at the places as well. A Methodist church and my temple get together every month to feed the homeless and do other service work. The respect for all religions is amazing and a great part of this western culture. I was talking to a woman (my Hindu "mom") about her views on America when she first came, and the first thing she said was how great it was that people were so respectful and interested in her religion. That christians did not feel offended by Hinduism and that there was such a community of faith strong enough to cross religions. That really made an impact on me, and although I would love to go to India, I am now still proud to be from the West.
    Let us worship Him, the pure-formed One, the cloud which, emitting a rain of unthinkable joy, satiates the hearts and eyes of its followers, as if millions of rain clouds had poured down, the stay of the Great Silence, called by many names, described by many religions, the embodiment of ineffable degrees of spiritual happiness.

Vannakkam Danielle: Its always good to hear of the co-operation between religions. Of course these people aren't fundamentalists, who are the enemy of all religions, including their own in moderate more loving forms. Reminds me a bit of our Canadian show, "Little Mosque on the Prairie," which just as easily could have been "Little Mandir on the Prairie."

Aum Namasivaya

Smile Re: Something I noticed about SOME convert Hindus

Quote Originally Posted by bp789 View Post
    Okay sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, and I want to make a disclaimer this is not about all convert Hindus, but only SOME (A FEW) that I have noticed.

This mostly applies to non-Indian Hindus, but something I noticed about a few of them is that they tend to disregard any positive aspects of their own culture and declare that Indian culture is better.

I mean some of them say that "our western culture is horrible it's all about sex and money and materialism. Indian culture is more refined, spiritual, and wonderful." This is something that bugs me about a few converts. They try to make their birth countries and culture seem horrible and only praise India and Indian culture.

It's as if they are ashamed to be from a western culture. I'll repeat again this only about a few people I have noticed, but I don't see why they do this. I get that western culture has its problems, but so does Indian culture. And I also get that Indian culture has a lot of positive aspects, but so does western culture.
    Hari OM! Since I am new here, I'd like to respond to this first post, based upon what I have observed. I suppose you can still call me a convert if you like, as I converted 45 years ago, but have only gotten close to the Indian Hindu people within the last three years, or so. Like my western mother used to say, there are good and bad in all walks of life.

Living in the west all of my life, it's easy to see most of the bad and walk the planet grumbling about that. I come from a Catholic life, where one got beaten for asking questions about God. Brainwashing, is what it was. While I deeply love the Hindu way of life, there is still a good amount of brainwashing here too, but more peaceful than I experienced as a child growing up under the iron fist of Christianity. Sanatana Dharma has it's brutality in the slaying of demons, etc., but it seems to have less, how should I say...... 'discrimination' at it's roots.

For me, going to the Temple, I see plenty of hokus-pokus as I did in Christianity. But I've come to find God within, so everything else around me either supports that or it doesn't. For example, a swami just visited our Temple. While his words were sweet and enlightening to be sure, I kind of giggled at the 'hand-maidens" around him, his "entourage" as it were. The dainty fellow couldn't seem fit to put his own glasses in the case, someone had to run over and do it for him. He could not partake in prasad with the rest of us, no, he had to have his own room with his servants wiping his face and practically feeding him. Respect is one thing, lunacy quite the other.

For me, the grass isn't green on the other side any more. While I do truly see some great Hindu people doing things for others and in turn for God in a very silent and stealthy way, I see others who pretend to take the light of the flame from aarti to their eyes, yet live in ignorance as their choice.

I guess my main point is that one has to separate the wheat from the chaff, the good from the not-so-good, from all of humanity. Kind of like taking a bite from everyone's food-culture and enjoying what is the best that you can derive.
    MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS ~

Namaste

Having lived some time in India, I can say that there are some positive and negative aspects
    about Indian culture and U.S. culture. However I think the phenomenon of new converts to
    Hinduism over-identifying with Indian culture may be as natural as seeing only the positive
    in a new love interest. Hopefully the love will eventually mature and deepen.

Hari Aum Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by bp789 View Post
    Okay sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, and I want to make a disclaimer this is not about all convert Hindus, but only SOME (A FEW) that I have noticed.

This mostly applies to non-Indian Hindus, but something I noticed about a few of them is that they tend to disregard any positive aspects of their own culture and declare that Indian culture is better.

I mean some of them say that "our western culture is horrible it's all about sex and money and materialism. Indian culture is more refined, spiritual, and wonderful." This is something that bugs me about a few converts. They try to make their birth countries and culture seem horrible and only praise India and Indian culture.

It's as if they are ashamed to be from a western culture. I'll repeat again this only about a few people I have noticed, but I don't see why they do this. I get that western culture has its problems, but so does Indian culture. And I also get that Indian culture has a lot of positive aspects, but so does western culture.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

the rejection on the parts of some converts may seem foolish. the essence that everyone misses is that each coin has two sides, similarly every culture has some good and some bad points. i agree with you that it is ok to convert but one should not be biased. hinduism promotes spirituality and so everyone who embraces hinduism should be able to to see positive aspects in everything and not ridicule everything. it is there lack of wisdom may be. may be with a deeper plunge in the indian philosophy they will be able to identify this flaw in themselves.

I think I'm kind of like that, except I am Muslim, lol.
    Pave to Musalman, pave Hindu, Sikh ve, sada ve Rabb jive; ek sada dil ve. Apne aap nu tu vakhra kyun samjhe...?
    Whether you are Muslim, Hindu, or Sikh...Our God is the same; our heart is one. Why do you consider yourself different...?

Noble I made thee, wherewith dost thou abase thyself?

Namaste,
    As I'm reading this being a convert to Hinduism I can see what the OP is talking about here. There's a difference between religion and culture. I keep repeating this when people asking me questions that are obviously culture related that are obviously culture and not religious. But I hope since this was posted, which seems like a long time ago--the whole response hasn't changed. Anyways liked I said I am and American Hindu convert, so I do take some of my American culture, but I do also take the part of Hindu culture that is needed to stand as a Hindu. It isn't always easy to pick pieces of religion and culture apart from each other I won't lie it is very difficult. But we do need to keep to our roots as well as taking on a new belief as well as a new culture.

Thread Information