Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beginning to study Bhagavad Gita

Re: Beginning to study Bhagavad Gita

Vannakkam C. Smith: Here is the Amazon link to the most ancient and complete Tamil Saiva scripture, the Tirumantiram. Its pretty heavy reading, I think. Perhaps Saidevo has links to other editions of the same book.

http://www.amazon.com/Tirumantiram-T.../dp/8171203833

Best wishes as always.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I have read through the posts above, as they are most rewarding to revisit. Like that,
    I am now re-visiting one of my favorite books by nisarga-datta maharāj¹ called I am That.

He lived the essence of the bhāgavad gītā. I never get tired of reading this book . He talks in simple terms.
    It is rare that any śāstra-s are even quoted, as he is the embodiment of them.
    This book changes one's view of one's practice and the ability to remain simple.
    If there were just a few books I could take to a desert island, this would be one of them.

praṇām

words

• nisarga-datta maharāj
      • nisarga = natural state or form or condition; also means void or to evauate;
      • niṣarga is for ni-sarga - same as mentioned
      • datta - can be honored, protected; also 'a gift'
      • maharāj can be seen as great + radiance, illumination
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Well said, Yajvan. I'm just going to start reading my newest copy of BG myself (translated and commented by Eknath Easwaran) and he has pretty neat analogies of the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita. He likens the writings of the Upanishads to a big collection of postcards, photos and letters from around the world without regard to source or circumstance - "snapshots of consciousness" he calls it, which is an apt description. But he describes BG as a map and a guidebook into the realm of the Self, with no details held back. All is there for the reader: overview of the territory, different approaches you can try on reaching the summit of Realisation, tips on avoiding pitfalls, telling you what to pack in your backpack and what to leave behind as useless baggage.
    Yes I agree , that's very right .

Pranams yajvan ,

I was especially elated to see your suggestions on the gita and have made a purchase based on your suggestions. I also have the book "I am That" and may use it for future studies. Your wisdom is limitless - thanks for your contributions.

Hari Om Eastern Mind ,

Have made a purchased based on your suggestion as well. Rereading through the post before I posted seemed the right thing to do as I have many of the items that have already been mentioned, but yours stood out for obvious reasons. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks to all for the contributions in this post and please do keep adding as you may. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Om Namah Shivaya!

There is a core idea for gita readers . In the whole universe the supreme soul is one for everybody , and it is practised by the way of devotion to him only , otherwise a parrot also speaks rama..rama...krsn...krsn .
    Shraddhayaa parayaa taptam tapastattrividham naraih;
    Aphalaakaangkshibhiryuktaih saattwikam parichakshate.
    This threefold austerity practised by steadfast men with the utmost faith, desiring
    reward as god fixes, they call Sattwic and is a real devotion...17/17 gita

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I have read through the posts above, as they are most rewarding to revisit. Like that,
    I am now re-visiting one of my favorite books by nisarga-datta maharāj¹ called I am That.

He lived the essence of the bhāgavad gītā. I never get tired of reading this book . He talks in simple terms.
    It is rare that any śāstra-s are even quoted, as he is the embodiment of them.
    This book changes one's view of one's practice and the ability to remain simple.
    If there were just a few books I could take to a desert island, this would be one of them.

praṇām

words

• nisarga-datta maharāj
      • nisarga = natural state or form or condition; also means void or to evauate;
      • niṣarga is for ni-sarga - same as mentioned
      • datta - can be honored, protected; also 'a gift'
      • maharāj can be seen as great + radiance, illumination
    Namaste

I have been following this thread with interest.

The reason I am looking into hindu teachings is that I came across I am That which sent me on a chase through the net which laded me in HDF.

I was interested in your earlier recommendations and I am a little more confident in my path having read your assessment of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's text.

Given my neophyte status I would be interested in what other suggestion you might direct at me for further consideration.
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    • Mahaṛṣi mahesh yogī - Bhāgavad gītā , A New Translation and Commentary - Chapt. 1 to 6
    • Śrī Jñānadeva's Bhāvārṭa Dīpikā some call Jñāeśvarī ( his commentary on the Bhāgavad gītā)
    • Svāmī paramahaṃsa yogānaṃda - the Bhāgavad gītā , Royal Science of God Realization; God Talks With Arjuna
    • Abhinavgupti's Commentary On the Bhāgavad gītā - its called gitārtha saṁgraha .
      • This is the view from kaśmir śaivism . Abhinavagupa's work was translated from saṃskṛt to English by Boris Marjanovic
    • Svāmī prabhupāda - Bhāgavad gītā As It Is
    • S.Rādhākṛṣṇan - Bhāgavad gītā has a different view on this matter but worth a look
    • Mahābhārata - Bhāgavad gītā as the sub chapters of this book - this translation is by kisari mohan ganguli
    I am adding an additional author to the list above, it is by svāmī paramahaṃsa yogānaṃda-ji . The book title is written thusly:

The Bhagavad Gita - Royal Science of God Realization
    by Paramahansa Yogananda

This is a two book set, offered by the Self Realization Fellowship
    ISBN number 087612-031-1 ( paperback) ; 087612-030-3 ( hardcover )

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 April 2011 at 08:10 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I differ with yajvan on this recommendations. Although I haven't read yogananda's commentary, after reading a few chapters of Autobiography of a Yogi and Yukteshwara's "The Holy Science," I try to stay away from anything that comes from this tradition. There were too many references to Jesus, the Bible and the avatarhood of these persons, that I felt disgusted reading these works.

I also avoid any work by S. Radhakrishnan. He is sucking up too much to western indologists.

I am not a big fan of Srila Prabhupada and Maharshi Mahesh Yogi either, but they are not so bad as the above teachers.

I am learning Sanskrit, so maybe one day I will be able to read the classical commentaries on the Gita which are found here: http://www.archive.org/details/Gita-...orCommentaries

There are also translations on some of these on the internet:
    http://www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in/
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 18 April 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I differ with yajvan on this recommendations. Although I haven't read yogananda's commentary, after reading a few chapters of Autobiography of a Yogi and Yukteshwara's "The Holy Science," I try to stay away from anything that comes from this tradition. There were too many references to Jesus, the Bible and the avatarhood of these persons, that I felt disgusted reading these works.

I also avoid any work by S. Radhakrishnan. He is sucking up too much to western indologists.

I am not a big fan of Srila Prabhupada and Maharshi Mahesh Yogi either, but they are not so bad as the above teachers.

I am learning Sanskrit, so maybe one day I will be able to read the classical commentaries on the Gita which are found here: http://www.archive.org/details/Gita-...orCommentaries

There are also translations on some of these on the internet.
    Why don't you give dvaita vedanta a chance? If you're interested, I can give you a link to Nyaya Sudha, one of the most important works in Dvaita literature. It'll remove all misconceptions about dvaita.

You can post that link, I will happily learn more about the dvaita school of thought. Although I am not looking to become a dvaitin. I just try to avoid this colonial interpretation of Hinduism that is prevelant among many modern teachers. The classic commentators on the Hindu scriptures knew how to write consice works where even one sentence was filled with a ton of meaning. Just look at the vyasa bhashya on the sutras of Patanjali. Unlike the modern teachers like Yoganananda/ Vivekananda who can write entire books or give week long lectures without saying anything.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 18 April 2011 at 03:33 AM.

Thread Information