Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relegions which accept and refuse rebirth/reincarnation concept

relegions which accept and refuse rebirth/reincarnation concept

As an obvious fact, not all the relegions accept the karmic concept of rebirth of souls. Even within Hinduism, there are different levels of concepts about rebirth such as human beings whether would or would not be giving birth as animals in their next re-incarnation... some traditions say its possible and some other traditions say not possible... some tradition say that 7 births for human being... I know about some astrologers predicting that whether next rebirth is possible or not based upon horoscope..... those are my thoughts...

but first I would like to list the major relegions which acknowledge rebirth/ reincarnation or karmic debt concepts....

relegions accepting karmic rebirth concept: Hinduism & Buddhism... (Any amendments please welcome as I am not sure of relegions such as jainism)

relegions refusing (at its current state): not very sure but I think Islam or christianity do not beleive in this current state of this modern science era...

please tell about any other corrections or amendments, apologies if i am incorrect, I just wanted to go ahead in putting this topic as i thought about

thanks much
    Last edited by sar78; 12 October 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Re: relegions which accept and refuse rebirth/reincarnation concept

Ismaili and Druze sects of Islam accept reincarnation.

Christians believe in reincarnation as well. This is often forgotten, even by Christians. After the apocalypse, they believe, Jesus will create a new world and his devotees will retake their past body and live on this new earth. Sounds like reincarnation to me.
    May the Supreme Spirit illumine us!

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    Christians believe in reincarnation as well. This is often forgotten, even by Christians. After the apocalypse, they believe, Jesus will create a new world and his devotees will retake their past body and live on this new earth. Sounds like reincarnation to me.
    Sounds like Kalki's coming and the next Satya Yuga's beginning IMO.

When I read the Revelations I was quite shocked to realize that it was very similar to the 12nd canto of Srimad Bhagavatam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Sounds like Kalki's coming and the next Satya Yuga's beginning IMO.

When I read the Revelations I was quite shocked to realize that it was very similar to the 12nd canto of Srimad Bhagavatam.
    Jaya Sri Kalki!!
    May the Supreme Spirit illumine us!

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    Vannakkam NetiNeti: This may be your belief juxtaposed upon the Christians, but the reality today is that few, if any Christians believe in reincarnation in any way resembling the Hindu way. Just go and ask them for yourself. I believe it is unfair to project beliefs onto someone else. They will tell you in no uncertain terms that reincarnation is a false teaching, and if its a fundamentalist, that teaching comes from Satan. So whether they have forgotten as you put it, is irrelevant. The reality is what it is.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Reincarnation is no doubt an interesting reality in sanātana dharma to understand. Yet to me what makes sanātana dharma completely profound from other views is the notion of jivanmukti. That ability to realize completely your true nature while walking on this good earth. In fact the word realize is better said as re-cognition (re-membering) your Divine status.

My teacher used to say we are against reincarnation . Those steeping in the material side of understanding would gasp. Those śiṣya's who knew the teacher's way understood instantly. We do not shoot for reincarnation we aim for mokṣa.

In many religions 'heaven' is a common theme, even in sanātana dharma. Yet it too is a stopping point , an āśrama (halting place). It is not the final place but must be a very nice place to visit...

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 October 2010 at 10:23 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    In many religions 'heaven' is a common theme, even in sanātana dharma. Yet it too is a stopping point , an āśrama (halting place). It is not the final place but must be a very nice place to visit...

praṇām
    Even Vaikunta?

Om Tat Sat

Some Jews believe in reincarnation. Here is an FAQ written by a Jewish rabbi about reincarnation.

Christianity used to believe in reincarnation. There is a passage in the Gospel of John where Jesus sees a man blind from birth. His disciples ask him ""Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" (John 9:2) Obviously he could not have sinned before he was born, so it seems that the Apostles believed in reincarnation, like some Jews today.

The Unity School of Christianity is perhaps the only Christian denomination that explicitly teaches reincarnation.

Thread Information