Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking A Tutor!

Seeking A Tutor!

Hello everybody!

To be completely honest. I am completely ignorant on most things Hindu. In fact, pretty much everything. I am American and reside in America. The closest Hindu temple to my home town in hundreds of miles away so trying to grasp Hinduism through Wikipedia and the internet is pretty hard. I am looking for enlightenment through other religions. In the mail today I received the "Bhagavad Gita" and read it for a while. Doing so, it lead me on an even more confusing path.

I am completely and utterly lost. I was wondering if the happens to be someone that is a novice in the religion and it's practices that is willing to teach me the basics, (preferably someone who is actually Indian, [Indian born]) and maybe a little more.

We would do so through "webcam" chats. Cell phone calls, or any other way we could reach each other. If you wouldn't mind helping that would be great. You would be creating a major change in my life.

If you would like to reach me, Please just reply to this post and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,
    Forrest Bristow

Re: Seeking A Tutor!

namaste Forrest,

One of the best books to learn about Hindu Dharma, IMO, is this:

Hindu Dharma: A Unversal Way of Life
    shrI Chandrashekharendra Sarasvati SvAmigaL
    (aka KAnchi ParamAchArya)
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/8591806/Hindu-Dharma-Kanchi
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/21581029/H...al-Way-of-Life

If you want a printed edition, here it is:
    http://www.mlbd.com/BookDecription.aspx?id=15453

This book explains almost everything about traditional and contemporary Hindu Dharma.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Hello Forrest, please be careful using Wikipedia-

Two things-

1. I clicked a link they had posted at the bottom of one page to go to a site which was supposed to have translated to english certain scriptures and it was a link which immediately downloaded a virus to my computer. It was very bad.

2. They often make mistakes. Recently I had to correct an error they made within the Hinduism section. When such a fool as I finds an error...I can not imagine how many more there must be.

Vannakkam Forest: And I would recommend the Master course trilogy from Himalayan Academy mostly because it is written in Modern American English, for a tad more than 'the basics', Much of their work is on line and free, but books in hand are different. Of course, I have a bias here.

Best wishes in your search.

Aum Namasivaya

I live in the U.S. and could help you with basic concepts via phone calls if you like. Please understand that my input will be that of a student of Vedanta. I must emphasis that I can only help with basic concepts and guidance and that I am not a teacher. Pm me for my contact information
    May the Supreme Spirit illumine us!

Thanks everybody!

I have one more question. In Hinduism, does the "mythology" play a major part? Once again I was reading the "Bhagavad Gita" and I really don't see where any of the deities fit in? Perhaps I should buy The Vedas?

Thanks again,
    Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    Thanks everybody!

I have one more question. In Hinduism, does the "mythology" play a major part? Once again I was reading the "Bhagavad Gita" and I really don't see where any of the deities fit in? Perhaps I should buy The Vedas?

Thanks again,
    Forrest

We don't have "Mythology", we have factual accounts we believe to be true.

The Bhagavad-Gita deals specifically with Krishna and is part of a larger book called the Mahabharata.

You should get copies of the Vedas and the Upanishads In these texts you will find writing about the Devas.

I recommend you start with a book that very simply explains Hinduism and it's Gods, philosophies, etc. There are many very approachable books at book stores and libraries. The holy books can be intimidating when you don't understand the concepts.

Dear Forrest,

What you say is very true. Hinduism needs to be learned from a practicing religious Hindu who can show you how to perform all the rituals. You could read the entire Bhagavad-Gita and still have no clue on how to actually practice the Hindu religion. These rituals are normally taught to Hindu children from their parents, so you need to find someone who learnt them that way and ask them to teach you. I am a convert and I know very few of the rituals.

However, Hindu tradition teaches that a town without a temple is uninhabitable. Temples are one of the three pillars of the Hindu religion (the other two being scriptures and Sat Gurus). Is it possible for you to move to a town where there is a temple? You will find it hard to practice the Hindu religion if you don't have a temple to go to. Home worship is not a substitute for temple worship.

Also, if you do find someone to teach you how to practice the Hindu religion, you may find someone else who has completely different practices. Hinduism is not a monolithic religion where everyone has practices that are pretty much the same (like Judaism or Islam), and things are done differently in different sects and also different regions of India. For example, if you go to a South Indian temple, there will be a number of shrines (griha) containing individual Deities located around the temple complex. The priest will take the puja tray and walk from one shrine to another, offering the puja at each shrine. Those attending follow the priest around. By contrast, if you go to a North Indian temple, there will be one main altar at the front with a number of different Deities (usually in pairs, such as Shiva-Parvati or Radha-Krishna). The priest offers a lamp (either oil or ghee) to the Deities while the people attending sing an Arati song (usually Om Jai Jagdish Hare). So even within the Hindu religion there are a large variety of practices.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMalaysia View Post
    Dear Forrest,

What you say is very true. Hinduism needs to be learned from a practicing religious Hindu who can show you how to perform all the rituals. You could read the entire Bhagavad-Gita and still have no clue on how to actually practice the Hindu religion. These rituals are normally taught to Hindu children from their parents, so you need to find someone who learnt them that way and ask them to teach you. I am a convert and I know very few of the rituals.

However, Hindu tradition teaches that a town without a temple is uninhabitable. Temples are one of the three pillars of the Hindu religion (the other two being scriptures and Sat Gurus). Is it possible for you to move to a town where there is a temple? You will find it hard to practice the Hindu religion if you don't have a temple to go to. Home worship is not a substitute for temple worship.

Also, if you do find someone to teach you how to practice the Hindu religion, you may find someone else who has completely different practices. Hinduism is not a monolithic religion where everyone has practices that are pretty much the same (like Judaism or Islam), and things are done differently in different sects and also different regions of India. For example, if you go to a South Indian temple, there will be a number of shrines (griha) containing individual Deities located around the temple complex. The priest will take the puja tray and walk from one shrine to another, offering the puja at each shrine. Those attending follow the priest around. By contrast, if you go to a North Indian temple, there will be one main altar at the front with a number of different Deities (usually in pairs, such as Shiva-Parvati or Radha-Krishna). The priest offers a lamp (either oil or ghee) to the Deities while the people attending sing an Arati song (usually Om Jai Jagdish Hare). So even within the Hindu religion there are a large variety of practices.

Scott,

I totally see the viewpoint you have and believe it to be very valid.

What I feel to be the truth is respectfully opposite.One only needs the simple love of their Ishta-Deva and adherence to the basic foundations of the Dharma to be a Hindu. To meditate in the home and practice the different yogas within in ones life is, in my opinion, enough. Having the ability to practice the faith in a Temple with a community of like minded individuals is priceless and ideal but not the only way to go around things.

My mother Sarada Devi states that "As wind removes a cloud, so does the name of God disperse the cloud of worldliness". In this statement we see how simple Hinduism can be. Simple chanting of the name of your Ishta-Deva can supplement all the temples in the world if it is done with pure love and devotion.

My beloved Master also says "God is everywhere but He is most manifest in man. So serve man as God. That is as good as worshipping God." Here we see Ramakrishna illumining us with the truth that service to man and God is a high ideal. This can be done in any community.

While I love spiritual discourse and study, the Master says it is unneeded. "You have been born in this world as a human being to worship God; therefore try to acquire love for His Lotus Feet. Why do you trouble yourself to know a hundred other things? What will you gain by discussing philosophy? Look here, one ounce of liquor is enough to intoxicate you. What is the use of your trying to find out how many gallons of liquor there are in the tavern?" Here, once again, he highlights simple love of God as the ideal.

Forrest, please seek, as Scott says, a spiritual community but do not be discouraged if it takes awhile. It is love of God that will elevate you and that can be practiced anywhere at anytime. Simple love of God in your chosen form can be done understanding little about the sacred scriptures. Loving you Ishta-Deva, belief in reincarnation, Karma and liberation through yoga are Hinduism distilled. It is all that is really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    "God is everywhere but He is most manifest in man. So serve man as God. That is as good as worshipping God." Here we see Ramakrishna illumining us with the truth that service to man and God is a high ideal. This can be done in any community.

And in any home.<3

Serve the ones around you are the very piece of the Divine which you have been entrusted to care for.

No matter where you may roam, you are in the presence of Beloved.<3

Thread Information