namasté ganeshprasad,

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam all

This is what he says unambiguously.

ye yatha mam prapadyante
    tams tathaiva bhajamy aham
    mama vartmanuvartante
    manusyah partha sarvasah

All of them--as they surrender unto Me--I reward accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Prtha. 4.11
    Jai Shree Krishna
    Talk to us a bit about the nature of this surrender. How does it occur ? How does one know that surrender has occurred properly?

Here's one word on which I think this śloka rests: prapadyante . We can look at this prapadyante in the following ways:
    • prapad +yan+ te
      • prapad = to take refuge; this leads us to padyate - to throw one's self down.
      • yan = yad = whoever; also yád (mascline gender). = puruṣa = humans or man
      • te = ta = virtue, also nector
    We can see here it's the person (puruṣa) who takes refuge, to throw one's self down. I think ( from my orientation) the brilliance of this word prapadyante lies in padyate to throw one's self down. This has two meanings - being humble no doubt but also giving up the lower self, the ego the minor things of being human.
    Yet to do this completely is not an action, or a mental point of view one performs; It is done via meditation 'giving up completely' the relative field of life when one transcends into the Supreme and achieves the nectar (ta) the virtue that accompanies this.

Another view
    pra + padya +ante
    • pra = in front
    • padya = belonging to the foot
    • ante = anta= in the end; also definite ascertainment , certainty
    This suggests to me the notion of surrender at the feet (padya) of the Supreme , in front of Him (pra) as in the end ( ante) one is sure to attain (ante) the Divine.

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 December 2010 at 05:53 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Hint of Eternal Damnation?

Pranam Yajvan

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

Talk to us a bit about the nature of this surrender. How does it occur ? How does one know that surrender has occurred properly?
    praṇām
    We can talk about the nature off surrender in our own understanding , you have offered one view that is good but the surrender comes in various way, how do we know that surrender is proper you ask? Christians and Muslims also surrender to the will off god or alha what is their destination?

Very simply put in my own little understanding, what good is a surrender if its not in action, now yajvan may ask me that the muslims do in their jihad, to that I would say what good is an action that do not radiates peace and harmony. But Krishna says Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Prtha. So who am I to argue, eventually we all get that chance to surrender to him properly

Now I can go on and give my opinion and I have many, not always in tune with Lord Krishna, lately I have been torn by the hate that has been dominated in HDF regarding radical universalism what ever the merit or demerit it is not very healthy, don’t get me wrong I wish I never had to encounter Islam or the Christians that’s not going to be anytime soon.

Coming back to surrender Lord Krishna advises in chapter 12 if you can not do this do that and so on so forth but the verse no 18/19 sums it up for me and I quote.

samah satrau ca mitre ca
    tatha manapamanayoh
    sitosna-sukha-duhkhesu
    samah sanga-vivarjitah
    tulya-ninda-stutir mauni
    santusto yena kenacit
    aniketah sthira-matir
    bhaktiman me priyo narah

One who is equal to friends and enemies, who is equipoised in honor and dishonor, heat and cold, happiness and distress, fame and infamy, who is always free from contamination, always silent and satisfied with anything, who doesn't care for any residence, who is fixed in knowledge and engaged in devotional service, is very dear to Me.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Actually nothing bad or good is eternal . As quoted....nehabhikrama-naso 'sti
    pratyavayo na vidyate , In this there is no loss of effort, nor is there any harm (the production of contrary results
    or transgression).
    This statement in gita makes krsn as madhusudana . Also krsn says...samaadhau na vidheeyate ,that determinate faculty is not manifest that is steadily bent on meditation and
    Samadhi (the state of Superconsciousness).
    In ch 15 Tameva chaadyam purusham prapadye
    Yatah pravrittih prasritaa puraanee ,Seek
    refuge in that Primeval Purusha whence streamed forth the ancient activity or energy.
    That is eternal and eternal bliss of course .

If you literally read the verses 16.19-20. the following conclusions may be drawn.

1. The continued fall of the jIva is imminent.
    2. Ataining the Lord is impossible.
    3. In that fallen state the jIva will not have any opportunity to mingle with the wise or follow any form of religion expounded by the scripture.
    4. Continued indulgence in sin leads to a cascade of downfalls inmical to the pursuit of moxa.

These verses are a warning to each and every one of us - As long as you have not found yourself in such a situation like the one mentioned above, try by all means to attain the divine qualities ( sattva guNa-s) needed to liberate yourself. As long as a glimmer of these daivI sampat can be cultivated the spiritual progress will be there. But once you have landed in a kind of birth that has so much ignorance written over it, there is no way of pursuing any kind of sAdhana. The thick fog of sin will cover the face of truth in its entirerity that there will simply be no way out.

One might say that knowledge can remove any sin. That is correct. But if we do not strive to attain the divine qualities when we are in a position to do that, we may find ourselves in a condition where we would not even beleive in religion, dharma and such and under such circumstances there will be no more hope for the upward journey.

The Lord is giving a severe warning to those who think that they would get moxa one day because everyone is ultimate destined to do so. There are no draw of lots in the kingdom of God and if you think that you would be liberated without actively pursuing it then you are fooling yourself. Make hay while the sun shines. If in your present birth you beleive in God, in dharma and in the higher puruShartas make the maximum benefit out of it and dont leave anything to chance.

After expounding the gory consequences of the downward spiral of no return, the Lord then talks of matters that dispel the pall of gloom. The very next stanza talks of the three doors of disaster - lust, anger and greed. You are exhorted to give up these three evils by exercising your firm will and by surender to the divine will.

Is there an eternal damnation? Theoretically there is, and once a jIva has gone below a threshold he will no longer get births conducive to the practice of virtue and therefore he can only go down. It is inevitable that he will end up in the eternal hells. But note that a long narakavAsa will burn up the sins ultimately however great the sins maybe. So it is entirely possible for some one to rebound even from that lowest hell. A eternal hell may therefore mean a hell lasting for a very long duration, perhaps billions or trillions of years.
    It is unlikely that there will be a truly eternal hell because there will come a time when everything will dissolve in Brahman, and where will the hells be then?
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

the more you decieve your true self (the soul) the more likely you are able to approach the lower planetary systems where everyone lives in passion of ignorence.
    it is a form of damnation but vishnu also cares about the demons, so he will take form to inspire them to reach upwards to earth again.

There are those who will never hear the voice of the Lord. They are held captive as Gollum was held captive to the ring. They are beyond our help and we should take care that we do not get infected by their choices.
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2603&dateline=1299563544

Not all those who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by pineblossom View Post
    There are those who will never hear the voice of the Lord. They are held captive as Gollum was held captive to the ring. They are beyond our help and we should take care that we do not get infected by their choices.
    digital bank account numbers have become their god

in holland it is not appropriate to ask how much someone has, other countries harrass you with it

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté ganeshprasad,

Here's one word on which I think this śloka rests: prapadyante . We can look at this prapadyante in the following ways:
    • prapad +yan+ te
      • prapad = to take refuge; this leads us to padyate - to throw one's self down.
      • yan = yad = whoever; also yád (mascline gender). = puruṣa = humans or man
      • te = ta = virtue, also nector
    We can see here it's the person (puruṣa) who takes refuge, to throw one's self down. I think ( from my orientation) the brilliance of this word prapadyante lies in padyate to throw one's self down. This has two meanings - being humble no doubt but also giving up the lower self, the ego the minor things of being human.
    Yet to do this completely is not an action, or a mental point of view one performs; It is done via meditation 'giving up completely' the relative field of life when one transcends into the Supreme and achieves the nectar (ta) the virtue that accompanies this.

Another view
    pra + padya +ante
    • pra = in front
    • padya = belonging to the foot
    • ante = anta= in the end; also definite ascertainment , certainty
    This suggests to me the notion of surrender at the feet (padya) of the Supreme , in front of Him (pra) as in the end ( ante) one is sure to attain (ante) the Divine.

praṇām
    I would like to know the true nature of surrender. how exactly to surrender ? and at whose feet ? we are seeing anybody in front of us and we again dont know what is supreme"s wish is as most of the time we refer our own wish arising from ego,desire and ignorance as supreme"s wish . i want to know practical way of surrender.

2nd thing i want to put my view that..... eternal damnation is referred to UNCERTAINTY here . as once we die with lower desire, who knows we will get Human birth again and when ? its like eternity for practical purpose. it may takes billions years to finish 84 lakhs lower yonis to come back to human form and again we dont know we may pursue spiritual path in that life or not. as we can see practically 99% peoples are atheist though may say they believe in god,but by heart only few.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Chapter 16 ---- Verse
    Asurim Yonim apanna mudha janmani janmani

Mam aprapy’avia kaunteya tato yanty adhamam gatim

Asurim ---Atheistic or demonic
    Yonim ---species
    Apanna --- should I stop from falling into [Telugu]

Mudha --- O fool

Janmani --- life after life
    Janamni --- life after life

Mam – me
    Aprapy aiva --- not
    deserving certainly [Telugu—praptam—something
    received or deserved like a blessing for example so therefore aprapy – opposite
    of that and aiva is certainly (vedabase)]

Kaunteya – O son of Kunti

Yanty --- what if [Telugu --- yanty --- ]
    Adhamam – Should I save
    or rescue [Telugu --- adhakho--- Should
    I help or save or rescue --- mam --- me ---so adhamam is --- should I help or save ]

Gatim --- that state or fate [ Telugu – gati – state or
    telugu’s use it so say fate as well]

What it means?
    Atheistic or demonic species ---should I stop them from
    falling into ---- that fool ----into life after life

Not deserving of me certainly ----O son of kunti ---- what
    if I can’t save or rescue that state or fate

In complete sentences:

The atheistic or demonic species should I stop that fool from falling into this world life after life? They are not deserving of me O’ son of Kunti.
    What if I can’t save or rescue that state or fate.

THAT IS ETERNAL DAMNATION FOR YOU!

I hope my sanskrit interpretation does not make you angry.
    Really, the way I see it Mahabhart probably took place some million years ago. I really believe language involves or gets mixed up with other languages and pronunciations change etc. What do I know? Nothing! {: I

Please give me feedback! Iam getting extremely discouraged that no one is responding to my intepretations. Are they that aweful?
    Last edited by iksvakave; 10 April 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Thread Information