Thread: The dangerous power of ideas

The dangerous power of ideas

Ideas appear to be dangerous. Many people have changed their lives for an idea; even died for them.

With that in mind should we communicate ideas publicly which could potentially change a person's life?

Or is that assumption itself presumptuous; perhaps if someone isn't ready for change then an idea means nothing to them?

What do you think?

Re: The dangerous power of ideas

To each his own! The color red, for instance, is darker to one and lighter to another, yet it is still the same shade of red that we are discussing.

Strong ideas are made for strong minds. Strong souls lead the way.

I agree that a person that is not ready for change will not change. This, whether the idea has been expressed or not.

Are ideas and desires the same? It is said that one desire leads to another in an unending cycle. Is it true of ideas also?

Vannakkam:

I read somewhere that very few ideas are original. They are mostly regurgitations, or a combination of other ideas. Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

snip mentions,

Ideas appear to be dangerous. Many people have changed their lives for an idea; even died for them.
    With that in mind should we communicate ideas publicly which could potentially change a person's life?
    Or is that assumption itself presumptuous; perhaps if someone isn't ready for change then an idea means nothing to them?
    My teacher used to talk of the following qualities that come with spiritual growth:
    • stability
    • adaptability
    • integration
    • purification
    • growth
    New ideas passing though the these 5 , as it seems to me, would then be worthy of consideration.
    • Is the idea stable ?
    • Can it adapt to the present conditions of me, my family, my society?
    • Will it integrate into our values or the spiritual values I hold dear?
    • Does any part of the idea need some purification -or-
      • do I myself need additional purification so I may adapt this new idea ( e.g. a higher spiritual construct, notion, technique).
    • Overall will this idea contribute to my growth, the family's or community growth ?
    I have used this technique on various occasions. Over time when one grows and the Self becomes more part of one's life, these 5 gates occur naturally.
    One may say 'this just doesn't feel right' ( as intuition is more on the level of feeling then on the intellectual level), and an idea may get rejected. Perhaps it passes 3 of the 5 gates, yet there is something that is not wholesome or ~right~.
    Other times, there is that institution that something will make sense to include in one's life style.

Also , I have found these 5 gates are not evenly distributed. That is, they do not always weigh in at 20% each. Sometimes one point is 50% and the others take the rest of the weight.

Yet, that said, it is that person residing in ṛta¹ ( or ṛtam) that makes the wisest choice again and again. This comes with growth, and stablises when one is possessed of the Self.

praṇām

words
    ṛta - rooted (√) in i , to go the right way , virtuous ; luminious ; established in truth; that which only knows the truth
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hello Yajvan... May I ask who your teacher is?

This is a very beautiful and deep teaching. I'll save this and read whenever I can to fix these judging principles in my mind.

Om Tat Sat

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté Pietro Impagliazzo

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Hello Yajvan... May I ask who your teacher is?
    This is a very beautiful and deep teaching. I'll save this and read whenever I can to fix these judging principles in my mind.
    Om Tat Sat
    You can view this here if you wish: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...1468#post21468

May all on HDF have the opporunity to be in the air of such a person even if only for a short time.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Ideas are wonderful. Can they be dangerous? Yes, sometimes.

But dangerous doesn't automatically mean bad.

Thread Information