Thread: mantra meaning?

mantra meaning?

om grinih suryay namah . dear friends i want to know the meaning of this mantra thanks in advance.

Re: mantra meaning?

Hari Om!

Sorry that I can't help much with this one. All I could find is that it is related to a gemstone in astrology. "Om Suryay Namaha" however is a salutation to the Sun God, Lord Surya. I cannot find the meaning of "grinih" and would be interested in its meaning too.

Vannakkam sunrise:

Nice name. Welcome to HDF. Did you try an English-Sanskrit on-line dictionary. If not, I'm sure some people here will be of assistance.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Sunrise,

C.Smith is right in saying this is the Surya (sun god) mantra. Grinih, or ghrini, is the beej syllable specific to this mantra and deity. Hope this has helped.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

According to MWD, the term 'ghRNi' means 'a ray of light, flame, glowing, shining.'

Thus the mantra line would mean:
    "AUM ghRNi sUryAya namaH"
    "AUM, I bow to you, O glowing Sun God!"

I understand that this mantra is used in Astrology and SUrya-namaskAram.
    http://www.ammas.com/a1/advisors/ind...7&cid=18012530

http://books.google.com/books?id=XNw...uryaya&f=false

Take care if you choose to practice 'sun gazing' as advised in the second link!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

This ghṛṇi is no doubt a quality of sūrya - a ray of light; glowing, shining. We know sūrya on may occasions to be separate from savitṛ. Yet in later writings these two come together.

There are some wonderful hymns in praise of sūrya found in the ved. We find sūrya placed in the sky, agni is on earth ( closer to man) and indra in in the middle ( ~atmosphere~) or mid-region.

Yet what value may I bring to this post that has not been said already? That of a finer point of this word ghṛṇi; it has an alternative spelling, ghṛṇā.
    Here we can see more value by the depth of this word. We know ghṛṇi is a ray of light, glowing and shining. With ghṛṇā it means heat, or heat though sunshine; this makes sense , no?
    But there is another definition and that of a warm feeling towards others , compassion , tenderness .

So , not only does this mantra solicit and praise sūrya, but recognises sūrya's compassion and tenderness to all of creation, man-kind.
    To this we praise.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

namaste everyone.

Yajvan added good value to the meaning of the mantra in question, obtained by looking at the subtler levels.

A further expansion of the sUrya's ghRNi, is given by PaNDit Gurudatta VidyArthi (of the Arya SamAjam of SvAmi DayAnanda)*1, quoting the Rg Veda mantra 1.50.3 addressed to SUrya, the Sun god:

adRshram-asya ketavo vi-rashmayo janAM anu |
    bhrAjanto agnayo yathA || 1.50.3 ||

His illuminating rays behold men in succession,
    like blazing fires.

Pandit Gurudatta reads in this mantra an advice for the divine and sacred institution of marriage with its ensuing progeny, only which institution keeps the samsAra--world process, going. I have paraphrased his reasoning below:

• As mentioned in the first mantra of this sUkta--hymn, SUrya is 'devam jAtavedasaM'--the Godhead who knows about everything that is born/created. From him are born all the members of the three sentient kingdoms of the world. He is the one who nourishes and dissolves them when their times come, and he is the source of Time too.

• The periodicity of night and day is established by the second mantra, which says, "The starry host of the heaven departs upon the appearance of the Sun, the two together maintaining the periodicity of day and night."

• The suggestion to the divine and sacred institution of marriage is in the third mantra quoted above, especially in the phrase 'janAM anu': jana--people, anu--races. SUrya the Godhead, beholds the people of races in succession, even as he illuminates them with his rashmaya ketava--light-emitting, color-providing, variegating rays and make them feel warm at the same time by the blazing agni in him--bhrAjanto agnayo.

• The rays of heat and light emanating from SUrya the Godhead are inseparable (like Shakti and Shiva--sd). The heat creates ghRNa--a warm feeling of compassion and love, and germinates life from the divine and sacred institution of marriage. The light guides the path of dharma that the married couple should follow, and also enlightens them (in the form of inner sun) about afterlife and liberation.

• Therefore, the married couple, brought in union by the divine and sacred institution of marriage, should stay together for life in a life of dharma, as the heat and light of SUrya the Godhead, only which would ensure a "heroic, SvAmi-like, intellectual progeny" (in the words of the author).

Blessed are those married couple who can feel and speak from their heart about their spouse as "my beloved husband" and "my beloved wife".

Note:
    01. 'The Wisdom of the Rishis' by Pandit Gurudatta Vidyarthi
    http://www.archive.org/download/wisd...00vidyuoft.pdf
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information