Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hinduism and plagiarism

Hinduism and plagiarism

Vannakkam: I was browsing and came upon this:

http://www.essaytown.com/topics/hind...ys_papers.html

it seems you can buy an essay or term paper on any subject these days. But would that not be somewhat adharmic, purchasing something that is a view on dharma itself. Anyone else see the odd irony here?

I hope by providing this link I don't get anyone into trouble who is here on HDF to study because of some university or high school religion course. Of course there may be some karmic destiny in you getting caught.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Hinduism and plagiarism

Hmm, they have "vast information on every conceivable Hindus term paper topic," do they? I am tempted to buy paper on "Hindu," but one would hope that the paper has better use of adjective-noun agreement than the crappy fill-in-the-blank webpage coding, yes?

What would be even more ironic is if the student learned about dharma from the paper, realised the adharmic nature of their purchase, wrote a paper on why purchasing papers is wrong, and then sold it to that site for other students to purchase...

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post

What would be even more ironic is if the student learned about dharma from the paper, realised the adharmic nature of their purchase, wrote a paper on why purchasing papers is wrong, and then sold it to that site for other students to purchase...
    Vannakkam: And the title is "How adharma led me to dharma, but not really."

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam Indraleela: Canadian? No wonder you have wit. I'm in Edmonton. You're probably in the center of the universe, TO? (Don't say if you don't want to.) Only a couple of other Canucks on here that I know of.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam, EM,

(And there I've just shown off my entire Tamil vocabulary, outside of terms we learn in dance class.)

I'm a Canadian resident, not-yet-citizen, originally from New Orleans and now in Winnipeg. The only "centre of the universe" acknowledged in this city is the downtown Tim Horton's...Never been to Edmonton, but I do have a good friend there, and since this is Canada we obviously all know each other. (I don't know Jimmy, Sally, or Suzy, though...)

I'll write my own paper for that website, on the topic of "Winterproofing Yajs with Napalm, and Other Tips for Canadian Hindus," otherwise entitled "Following Dharma, Trying to Stay Warm-a."

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

namaste IL and EM.

Looks like the homework-doing services offered on the Net to lazy and rich kids. When entire Hindu books are available for less than 10-30 USD, a 947-words paper on 'The Hindu Sound Om/Aum' costs around 34 USD, crazy! And there is an essay on 'Hindu Fundamentalism' at 4780 words costing 123 USD! No wonder it is expensive because there is no concept or practice of Hindu fundamentalism, except in the mind of the media and academics.

Who are the authors of these Hindu papers? An item in the FAQ says:

"Our contracted staff of talented researchers includes over 200 former college professors (PhD-level), magazine columnists (Master- and Undergraduate-level), and newspaper editors (Master- and Undergraduate-level)."

I was afraid that some of the modern Net-savvy 'Hindu sages' might be a part of the authors group. Or are they?

Check these interesting items in the FAQ:
    Why are your papers so inexpensive compared to all other American sites?
    When will I receive the paper?
    Will the paper be emailed to me?
    How can I be sure you will email the paper after I pay?

I wonder what our friend TTA has to say on this?
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Vannakkam Saidevo: I think its funny and sad at the same time. The idea of buying a degree... well, George Bush the 2nd must have. Thank goodness doctors have to do a practical internship! Imagine some rich kid doctor/surgeon having his knife at some poor bloke when he just bought his license. Funny form of bribery it is.

I guess if tuition is $5000 per course, a mere 30 more bucks is very little. Surprised outsourcing hasn't made them cheaper.

I really should order one, maybe the cheapest, and see how much BS it actually contains.

Fortunately, most universities have programmers in their IT departments who watch for such sites, and people do get caught and booted.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post

I wonder what our friend TTA has to say on this?
    TTA probably owns the site. He is in California in IT isn't he? And he knows something of Hinduism, doesn't he? Put two and two together.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste EM.

How I wish that some knowledgeable Hindus who can discuss the Hindu topics with the right amount of academic, religious and spiritual perception team together and start a free Web service to counter such expensive nonsense! Perhaps we can do something by way of discussion of the very same Hindu subjects here at HDF. I am sure we can do much better than any such 'dispensation of knowledge' for money.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

It's hard for me to imagine how a student could pass a university degree program after buying papers throughout. There are still the tests, quizzes, and other classroom measures of knowledge; of course, there are ways to cheat for those, I suppose.

Higher learning is a privilege. It's a shame that a bachelor's degree is now considered "the new high school diploma," making people who honestly don't want the education attend anyway, for fear of being unemployable.

I'm glad I'm not affiliated with that site. My instinct is to write and submit a very academic-sounding paper that contains very few actual facts.

The Vedas were first inscribed approximately two thousand years ago by Rig Sama, the Great Sage of Atharva, who etched them with bone tools and pigments onto cave walls. While irrelevant to modern Hindu practices and currently considered to be quaint historical documents with little spiritual meaning, the Vedas do offer a rich picture of early Indian life.

Vedic faith reflected a touching belief that no small detail was overlooked by the gods, or 'Divas' as they were called. Indra, King of Gods, was also known as the great protector of hairdressers, rhubarb farmers, and morris dancers, and had a legendary fondness for Soma, a strong painkiller that quelled the agony of rulership (and is still available on the market today). Agni was the lord of fire, patron of arsonists and napalm, and was often called upon to bear witness in cases involving goat-theft; he is occasionally invoked by modern devotees who seek socks lost in the heat of the modern clothes-dryer! Varuna, wise Diva of the waters, served to remind his worshippers that nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.

That has to be at least a hundred words already. How hard could another 800 be?

Indraneela
    ===
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thread Information