Thread: Pronunciation...

Pronunciation...

Sanskrit seems to be a complex language full of nuances, but I'm hoping my question isn't so tricky:

Is there any simple guide to pronouncing (Vedic) Sanskrit in existence? (Or can such a thing exist?) I have a stotram with a Roman alphabet transliteration, and all I want is to say a) the right sound for each letter, and b) the right emphasis on the correct syllable(s). I've listened to other-language-recordings in the past to drill correct pronunciation into my mind, but there are no recordings of this one (that I've been able to find).

The Sanskrit resources I've found so far have made my head spin with instructions about fricatives and stops and velar plosive nasal schmookles. If it is that complex, I'm willing to buckle down and start studying - I truly want to learn the language anyway - but thought I'd ask here first in case anyone had some basic pronunciation advice to share.

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Re: Pronunciation...

namaste Indraneela.

Here is a resource on Sanskrit pronunciation:
    Pronunciation: drill and sound files
    http://www.archive.org/download/Sans...ound_files.zip

In case you aren't aware, HDF has a compilation of Hindu texts for a personal library, which has a section on Sanskrit:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...1&postcount=41
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Re: Pronunciation...

Namaste Saidevo,

Thank you so very much for these resources; I've downloaded the first file and am looking at the second link right now.

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thread Information