Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Re: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

pp.070-075
    What guru-sthAnam is...

"My daughter is getting older and older. There is no boy's horoscope that we missed as an alliance to her. I have tons of such boys' horoscopes!" A daughter's father expressed his predicament with humour.

"Not a single boy's horoscope did match my girl's. The moment I handover both the horoscopes to the astrologer he just pouts his lip and says, 'Boy's horoscope is A-class... But then no match for our KamalA's...'"

Since the gracious look of the navagrahas was absent, the parents came to KAnchipuram, to have guru-pArvai (tam)--guru's glance.

"Now, you have any horoscopes with you?" (asked the Guru).

"It's there. Good lineage, gOtram. Boy looks good, everyone of us like him. Yet to see if it matches. I am afraid to go to the astrologer."

"You have the girl's horoscope?"

"I have."

"Give me both."

Both horoscopes were submitted to him. PeriyavA took them in hand and had a second's glance at them.

"It's a match... Proceed with the marriage..."

The marriage was celebrated with all pomp and glory.

Three months later, the boy had an examination to pass, for a promotion at his office. How would be his luck in this? They showed the horoscope to the astrologer.

"There is nothing that can be told with certainty. You have the horoscope of this man's wife?"

He considered the girl's horoscope in elaborate detail. "Sir, What a wonderful match! It is very rare to have such a couple. Great comfort awaits this girl! So I can say with a clap of hand that the boy would get his promotion."

And he got it!

Like a ball struck with a bat, the parents came down to KAnchipuram.

"Owing to PeriyavA's anugraham, the marriage was conducted... The promotion too has come..."

"What did I do? In the horoscope, guru (the planet Jupiter) is in a good position..."

Aren't dampati--couple have the fortune to have their guru in great position?

bhAgavata prasAdam--Gift of the divine singers

A troupe of devotees who sing the glory of God came for darshan of PeriyavAL. They expressed their desire to perform nAma saMkIrtanam in front of PeriyavA. And they got permission.

The bhajan--singing hymns, was held for four hours. Sitting there, PeriyavA listened to it the whole time.

After the bhajan was over, the sage told his assistant to offer a plate of ground jaggery to the people of the troupe.

The bhajan troupe was very happy that they were offered sweet jaggery as PeriyavA's prasAdam--divine gift.

After the troupe left, PeriyavA asked for the plate of the ground jaggery. He took some of the left over and placed it in his mouth.

Thereby he taught his disciples a silent, firm lesson...

'bhAgavata prasAdam has great distinction... If you eat it, you will have frequent remembrance of God's name...'--His action--not saying these words--became unforgettable teaching to his disciples.

Shouldn't censure the planets!

An astrologer came to have darshan of PeriyavAL. "Mine is a large family... Not enough income... Income from my astrology work is much less... I have great difficulty (in making both ends meet)."

PeriyavA asked him: "You are still in the ancestral house of your father?"

"No, my elder brother lives in it. I stay in a house on the west side of it."

"You needn't be there. Isn't there an old cowshed on the east side of your ancestral house? Build a hut and stay there."

It was a family who for generations worshipped Goddess ambAL--PArvatI. That's why PeriyavA asked him to stay on the east side in the old cowshed.

"Don't you censure all the grahas--planets (when you match a horoscope or predict it? You typically say) guru--Jupiter is nIchan--low person, in your horoscope, shani--Saturn is pApin--sinful person, budhan--Mercury is vakra--crooked... Shouldn't say such things with the mouth. guru is a large gRham--astrological mansion--personifies dakShiNAmUrti--Shiva. You shouldn't censure him as nIchan, pApin, vakram and so on. shani is the son of sUrya--Sun, one who has got the title of Ishvara--god. And you say that he is a pApin!...

"Isn't it enough if you say in general that the gRhas are not in right places, so the results at this time are not right?

"And you don't need to say 'There is no match' to those who seek you to match the bride and groom's horoscopes... You might say on these lines: 'It would take time for the girl's vivAha kAlam--period of marraige, to arrive... Things such as putra bhAgyam--fortune of a child, for the boy is a question mark'...

"Many girls are yet unmarried even when they are thirty years old. For such girls, when they seek horoscope match for an alliance, you should seek to give a favourable reply as far as possible..."

[PeriyavA would say that in seeking marital alliance, not much value is given to the matching of the horoscopes of the boy and girl. It's enough if the kulam--lineage, gotram--ascetic lineage, are taken into consideration, and there is mental harmony. In the olden days, the matter of matching horoscopes was not so important (as it is now).]

The astrologer was immensely satisfied. Saying, "I shall henceforth do as PeriyavA as advised", he took the prasAdam.

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Reading thise events answered many questions that were there in my thoughts n mind.

Guru is Guru.We all Salute our Guru.

Jai Shri Maa

Ajeet

pp.075-078
    You people are driving me away!

One Sunday. PeriyavA went to the 'gangai koNDAn maNDapam' AnchanEyar (HanumAn) temple opposite shrIMaTham and sat down there. A large number of devotees had a leisurely darshan.

Even when it was four in the afternoon, PeriyavA didn't seem to move back to his abode. Since after sunset on a Sunday, PeriyavA wouldn't take even a cup of water, the disciples got worried. It was ascetic dharma to fast on Sunday nights. A disciple took courage, went to PeriyavA and supplicated, "anuShThAnam, bhikSha--(daily religious observances, taking alms) need to be done. Today is Sunday. If it is sunset, then there would be no bhikSha thenceforth. PeriyavA should come back to the MaTham."

PeriyavA said: "It's said that SEshAdri svAmigaL, after taking bath in the sarvatIrtham--temple pond, and doing his shmashAna japam--litany in the cremation ground, would visit this maNDapam--pavilion and stay for many days. I too came here so I can stay for at least a day. And you people are driving me away!"

[PeriyavA had great respect for SEshAdri svAmigaL and RamaNa maharShi.]

Then he consented to their supplication and started towards his abode. The fruits, suger lumps and coconuts that his devotees had submited him in darshan had become a large pile there.

"Let all these things remain here. The hanumAn pUjaka--priest of HanumAn temple, and the umbrella people, let them take these things."

[In the gangai koNDAn pavilion, crafts people who design the temple umbrella and flag used to stay. They can be seen there today.]

Mansion, yesterday and a sand hut today!

The place where PeriyavA was staying in ChowdApUr (KarnATakA), was a large mansion of an inAmdAr--owner of a gifted land.

PeriyavA had fever when he was there. It intensified. A MarATi doctor examined him and gave medicine. He said that the sage needed compulsory rest for a week. Fever did not abate the whole night.

But then, once it was early morning, PeriyavA started out. He went to a hamlet full of lambADis--nomadic people of Rajasthan, two miles from there, where even basic amenities did not exist, and stayed there. He did not listen to his disciples who entreated him not to walk the distance.

Once he reached the lambADi hamlet, the fever was gone! And he started to perform his usual daily tasks!

Perhaps he left his fever at the ChowDApUr mansion! Perhaps he did not want to stay free in an inAmdAr's mansion!

sAmiyE saraNam! (I seek refuge in Lord AyyappA)

Sabarimala (AyyappA) devotees in two buses came to have darshan of PeriyavA. He asked them, "What places did you visit until now? And what are in your plan to visit?"

They told the names of places they had visited and said that they had plans to visit Vaikkam, GuruvAyUr and ChOTTANikkara in KEralA.

PeriyavA ordered them to have darshan of Trichy MAthrUbhUtEshvara (Shiva at the Rockfort Temple, Trichy), AkhilANDEshvarI of TiruvAnaikkA, RanganAtha of ShrIrangam, Madurai MInAkShi, Tirupparankunram Murugar, TirunelvEli Nellaiyappar and KuTrAlanAthar at TirukkuTrAlam en route.

But then it was not possible for all the devoteesto take this route. So, one bus went through the route they had planned earlier and the other through the route PeriyavA had advised.

News came after ten days.

The bus that went in the route PeriyavA advised came back home safely (after darshan at Sabarimala). The other bus met with an accident en route, many people were injured (one or two dead) and never reached Sabarimala.

The troupe of people whose lives were saved on that day visited shrIMaTham every year during the AyyappA season. They made it a custom to do saraNa gOSham--hymns on AyyappA, before PeriyavA and prostrate to him. Till the long saraNa gOSham was finished, PeriyavA would immerse himself in AtmAnandam--bliss of soul, closing his eyes in meditation.

PeriyavA would always support devotion and the devotees.

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Jai Shree Maa

I salute you Sir for bringing these conversations between HH Paramacharya & seekers of spirituality (Sadhakas).

These questions are comming to many sadhakas & now after reading the entire conversations one get all the answers.

Thank you so much for sharing it on this forum.

Jai Shree Maa.

Ajeet

namaste Ajeet.

I am glad you find the devotional experiences useful in answering your question. All the best in your spiritual progress.

--viShNu purANam

pp.079-082
    Remedy for madness

The middle-aged boy suffered from madness. Medicines and mantras did not heal him even to the extent of a mustard grain. It seemed enough to the boy's mother that he did not shout and show aggression in his behaviour. He was constantly drooling.

PeriyavA keenly looked at the boy. "They say it is due to VANi (goddess SarasvatI) that the boy drools. Need not worry.

"Ever heard of a medicine called brammighritam? Will be available in Kerala. Get a bottle of vallArai ~ney--(tam)ghee from the plant Indian penny-wort. Keep it in front, do litany of one lakh count of the panchAkShara mantram--namashivAya mantra, and then give it to the boy. And then... you know the seeds of the neem plant? Crush two three seeds into a smooth paste in honey and smear it daily on his tongue..."

Two months later, the mother and boy came over. There was no cheShTha--signs of aggressiveness, left in the boy, but he was merely looking stupid, with wide open eyes. There was no other disturbance.

"Boy has started learning in bits", said the mother with a sigh of relief. PeriyavAL bless them, raising his hand.

The doctor's surprise

Camp at Chennai Sanskrit College.

PeriyavAL was suffering from chest pain. He seemed to be restless. Even after taking some Ayurvedic medicine, the agony did not abate. The manager of shrIMaTham was much worried. With great hesitation he supplicated to the sage: "I shall send word to Alwarpet doctor VaidyanAtha aiyar, if PeriyavA permits it. Seems it would be better if he comes to have a look."

PeriyavA gave him permission.

VaidyanAtha aiyar arrived and checked the pulse. It was normal. Then he checked the blood pressure. It was dangerously high.

"The B.P. has shot up dangerously", he said. "Should take immediate medicine..."

"It's alright. You come half an hour later and check up again..."

When the test was done a half hour later, the B.P. had gone abnormally low.

"When you tested last time, you said that the B.P. was very high. And now you say it is very low! What would happen if it gets high? Or low?"

"If the B.P. shoots up dangerously, it could result in haemorrhage and be fatal. When it becomes very low, faintness would result the person would fall down. And that is dangerous..."

"But then, nothing happened to me! I did not have haemorrhage; nor did I faint..."

"That is surprising, indeed! It does not occur normally that the B.P. shoots up very high and then in a short time become very low. It seems to me that PeriyavAL's sharIram--body, obeys PeriyavA's mind!"

PeriyavAL is yogIshvara--lord of the yoga. One who does kAyakleSham--undertakes bodily suffering and keep it within his control. He is the disease... and he is the medicine that cures it!

Half an hour later

PeriyavAL had swelling in both his legs. Like the swelling with the disease elephantiasis.

An elederly sumangali (one who has her husband alive) woman waved a flame of camphor in front of him. She was much scared when she found that PeriyavAL's legs had so much swelling. Her eyes watered. Is there no one to treat PeriyavAL who heals the entire town?

"Better if PeriyavA takes care of the body. Should consult a good doctor and take medicine." She prayed to him, with a lump of grief in her heart.

PeriyavAL had only to laugh. He understood that the woman was concerned about the condition of his legs.

"Come and check half an hour later", he told her.

After she moved away, PeriyavAL sat himself in padmAsanam and did japam--litany for fifteen minutes. The elderly woman came back after sometime. She fould the sage's legs had become normal, with no swelling whatsoever.

'How did the swelling go, with PeriyavAL taking no medicine', was what puzzled her.

It was a lIlA--sport for PeriyavAL to cause a disease on himself and then heal it! In order to heal the ailment of an unknown atyanta bhakta--close devotee, he would suffer the disease on him, and thus would make the person's karma wither, without contradicting the shAstras--scriptures...

When it comes to the question of lIlA, there is no place for any tarka--logical argument.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information