Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Re: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Pages 191-196 (concluding part)

This one happened very recently. My younger sister had saved some money for Kamakshi Amman. But her doing something for the deity was getting unduly postponed. During this time she had gone to listen to a lecture by a paurANika (one who is well-versed in Puranas). In an incident that he narrated, he said that a man once showed PeriyavaaL two packets and said, "One for the MaTham and another for Kamakshi." Periyavar replied, "Then say that both are for me"!

Having heard about this incident, my sister took the money she had saved for Kamakshi Amman and bought puja and abhiSheka things that Periyavar may use for his panchaloha vigraham and gave them to him. It was a surprise that she had to spend the entire savings of six hundred rupees, not a rupee more,--or less.

Among Periyavar's devotees, my mother's chitthi (maternal sister) and chitthappA (maternal sister's husband) were prominent. ChitthappA was doing some business in Bombay. The business suffered a sudden loss, the family went broke and came to Chennai. Periyavar was at that time camping in Chennai. Chitthi spent most of her day in the MaTham. Although her twenty year old son had died during this time, she continued to do errands such as preparing the flowers for puja.

She said that Periyavar doing puja would give her darshan alternately as Goddess Kamakshi and God Shiva at those times. When she looked again, he would appear as a smiling sannyAsi.

One day, Chitthi's daughter, a child, found that her dress had caught fire. Chitthi said that she at once thought of Periyavar, put out the fire, and removed the child's dress. There was not a small burn on the child's body. Later carrying out Periyavar's directions, Chitthi and ChitthappA went back to Bombay and started doing business again. Is it necessary to say that the sage sent them back only to restore their earlier status?

When it was time to seek an alliance for her elder daughter, Periyavar asked her, "You toil now (for your daughter's marriage)! Tomorrow you would demand in the same way for your son, is it not?"

Chitthi said, "I shall not demand anything at all"--and kept her word. Apart from this, she lived with vairAgyam without wearing any jewels on herself. Later, entrusting the family responsibility to her son, she came to Kanchi with her husband. Periyavar gave them shelter in the MaTham. They had darshan of Periyavar for three times a day. Sometime later they rented a house and went to live there.

Once when she had gone to Kanchi, Chitthi's daughter told Periyavar that a byepass surgery was being recommended for her husband's heart condition.

"The doctors say that the surgery is a must. Periyavaa should cure him without any surgery", she supplicated. The MahAn blessed her and her husband became well without any surgery to the surprise of the doctors.

Tiru Raghavan, my aunt's husband, after his retirement, was teaching Veda in the MaTham's Veda PAThashAla. When Periyavar was camping in Andhra, Sri Raghavan took the PAThashAla children and went to the Tungabadra river bank. Asking them to recite the Veda, he got in the river. It was not known if he knew about the depth of the river, but he let himself be carried away by the river, joining his palms over his head. The body had gone very far away. My aunt's family was not secure financially. Periyavar arranged for searching the body and carrying out the antima kriyas (last rites) at the expense of the MaTham. He also comforted my aunt. Her last daughter wasn't married at that time. To Raghavan's elder brother, Periyavar had given the title 'vidyArti' and kept him in the MaTham. For the last daughter's marriage, Periyavar sent sari and dhoti from the MaTham and blessed the couple.

As she suffered from a heart ailment, my mother-in-law had been admitted to the hospital. When my mother and I had gone to Kanchi, we informed Periyavar of this news. The MahAn blessed raising his hand. Thereafter, my mother-in-law lived for seventeen years and died in her seventy-ninth year of age.

He would help in human form at times of emergency. On long journeys he would come as a fellow traveller. Countless familes owed him their living. Among those who shed tears for his attaining samAdhi, there were poor cycle-rickshaw drivers.

Kanchipuram has attained its fame not just because of its temple, but also because of our Periyavar and his successors Sri Jayendra Periyavar and Bala Periyavar.

Several years back we met Sri Jayendra SwamigaL and told him the news that a child was born to us but died shortly after birth. He gave us prasAdam. In the next year, our son was born on the day of his avatAra nakShatram avittam. The name that was set for the child according to our family tradition was Swaminatha Sarma. The name we gave him was Chandrasekhar.

Once my elder brother was unwell. When I was worried much over it, Sri Jayendra SwamigaL appeared in my dream. He asked, "Your ANNA is not well?" and laughed. From the very next day my elder brother started progressing in health.

Sri SwamigaL had cured us countless times giving us his prasAdam when we supplicated to him about our ailments. He also cured the stone in my son's kidney in this way. We informed Sri PeriyavaaL when our son suffered from backache and that the doctor recommended treatment using acupuncture. Sri Jayendra SwamigaL said at once, "All those things are not necessary. Apply this ointment and it will be fine", and gave us a small bottle of Amrutanjan. An ordinary Amrutanjan, a jaladoSha nivAraNi (cure for common cold), when it was touched by the hand of Sri Jayendra SwamigaL, cured backache.

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

'aRanUl nuTpam': Sharpness about the Shastras
    devotee:...... a rich man of Chinna Tippa Samudram
    author:....... Chandramauli, close disciple
    compiler:..... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol. 6, pages 207-209
    publisher:.... Vanathi Padhippaham (Jun 2008 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamil

Sri Maha SwamigaL was once camping in an old PiLLaiyAr temple in the village 'Chinna Tippa Samudram' near Madanapalli.

People used to refer to the name of the place only as 'CTS' instead of using its full name. It was the occasion when Sri Sankara Jayanti was round the corner. Considering it, Sri Kalluri Veerabhadra SastrigaL, an ardent devotee of Sri PeriyavaaL, and I took a bus from Chennai and reached 'CTS'. Both Sri Kalluri Veerabhadra SastrigaL and his brother were both experts in Sanskrit. They were natives of Andhra Predesh. Sri Pujya pAdAL himself knew about their 'vidvat' (scholarship). He used to come often and meet Sri PeriyavaaL.

Sri Sankara Jayanati was to come two days after we went there. During that time there were only three men to do the 'kaingkariyam' (service) to PeriyavaaL; (whereas) between thirty and forty people used to come daily for the darshan.

There was a 'dhanika' (rich man) in that place, who had a large family. He was Sri PeriyavaaL's 'parama bhakta'. The arrangement was that it was only in his house the devotees who came seeking darshan of Sri PeriyavaaL had their stay and meals.

Sankara Jayanti was celebrated grandly in the place where Sri PeriyavaaL was staying. Sri PeriyavaaL ordered Sri Kalluri Veerabhadra SastrigaL to give a 'vAkyArtham' lecture.

Sri PeriyavaaL himself explained that the name Sankaran was given to Sri BhagavadpAdAL in accordance with the kaTapayadi saMkhya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katapayadi_sankhya). Paddy seeds in the manner of 'virai dAnam' were distributed. Then we all went to the tanikA's house and had our 'bhojanam' (meal) there.

On the next day was scheduled in the rich man's house the Upanayanam function of his grandson. On the morning of the Upanayanam Sri PeriyavaaL called the two aNukkat-toNdars (personal assistants) Ramakrishnan and SriKanTan and ordered, "Today is the Upanayanam in their house. Ask the people who have come here, not to have their meal in the Upanayanam house. Both of you cook the meals and serve them here." He also asked the 'tanikA' to be informed of this decision.

A great shock for the 'tanikA'. 'What mistake have we committed?' was his worry; with an yearning if he should not get the 'puNyam' of having fed the Sankara Bhaktas.

He felt like wailing. Maha PeriyavaaL was informed of his sorrow. The reply he gave was: "They would perform the 'nAndI shrAddham' in the Upanayanam house. The Shastra says that others should not have a meal in the house where 'nAndhI' is performed. So I asked for the arrangements to be made here."

No doubt that Sri PeriyavaaL demonstrated this Shastra related 'kAryam' for all the people. How many people familiar with the Shastras know about this scriptural injunction?

Note: Here is an article about the 'nAndI shrAddham':
    http://bhagavathy.blogspot.com/2007/...disradham.html

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

My First Darshan: by His Holiness Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamiji
    Compiler: Sri T.S. Kothandarama Sarma (in Tamil)
    Source: Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL, Vol. 1, pages 23-34
    Publisher: Vanathi Padhippaham

When I was studying in school at Villupuram, Acharya SwamigaL was proceeding for the kumbhAbhiSekam of Kanchipuram Sri Kamakshi Amman temple. It was then that I had my first darshan of him. He said, "At least one boy from each family should study the Vedas." Accordingly, my parents prayed to him, "It is time for my son to wear the sacred thread; (Periyavaa) should arrange for the ceremony and prepare him for the Vedic studies."

Acharya SwamigaL said, "The kumbhAbhiSekam of Sri Kamakshi Amman at Kanchipuram is about to take place. You bring him there after getting him to wear the sacred thread. We shall start the Vedic lessons for this boy there." Thus he gave us his merciful blessings. This was the first meeting.

Vedic Lessons

Sri Kamakshi Amman temple kumbhAbhiSekam took place. At the next auspicious time, Sri MahaswamigaL started the shikSA of Vedic lessons in the Amman sannidhi itself--where pujas are performed--through his pUrvAshrama youngest brother Sri Krishnamurthy SastrigaL.

Tiruvidaimarudur

Then he sent me to Tiruvidaimarudur. I reached Tiruvidaimarudur accompanied by my teacher Sri Krishnamurthy SastrigaL, after having darshan of Sri Nataraja Peruman at Chidambaram on the way. My parents stayed back at Villupuram.

Thirteenth Year

I studied Vedas at Tiruvidaimarudur until my thirteenth year. Acharya SwamigaL came back to Tiruvidaimarudur after completing his Kanchipuram yatrA. He stayed there for nearly a year. I was about to complete my Vedic studies. At those times, he used to inquire me about my name and place, and what I had studied until then.

One day, SwamigaL had gone to Govindapuram, a place near Tiruvidaimarudur. The samAdhi of Sri Bodhendra Saraswati, a renowned saint, is established there. It was the samAdhi of a great man who adorned the Kanchi pITham. Acharya SwamigaL used to go there often. I would also accompany SwamigaL.

On one such occasion, Acharya SwamigaL suddenly asked me one day, "Would you come to SriMaTham?" I said, "I am already coming with you!"

He said, "Not that way... Would you become--like me?"

Only then I understood the thought SwamigaL had in his mind. I told him, "I need to ask my parents." He had my parents brought from their place right away and asked their consent.

My parents informed him, "SwamigaL wanted my son to be left for pursuit of Vedic studies. We complied. Now you have the wish to admit him to SriMaTham as a SwamigaL. Your cittam is our bhAgyaM."

So I understood that the moment Acharya SwamigaL saw me at Villupuram was the time the thought of making me a successor of this pITham first rose in his mind.

Fourteenth Year

SwamigaL decided that I should enter SriMaTham on my fourteenth year of age. So he arranged at SriMaTham for the lessons and studies I was to take up there.

All India yAtrA

I took the lessons (at SriMaTham) until my seventeenth year. Thereafter, SwamigaL called me one day and directed, "Go on an all India yAtrA and come back." I travelled to all the places and kSetras in India with my parents through railroad.

When I completed my eighteenth year, he said, "Be with me here for sometime" and kept me at Kanchipuram. A year passed by in this manner.

Nineteenth Year

When my nineteenth year started, Periyvaa ordained me to become a SwamigaL at Kanchipuram itself--that is, on the 22nd of March, 1954--after finishing the initial vaidika ceremonies at the Mukti Mandapam on the bank of Sarva Theertham, by giving me sannyAsa dIkSA around ten in the morning, keeping me in a standing position in the waters of the pond, and then with the mahAvAkya upadesham at Sri Viswesvarar Sannidhi.

This is how the connection I had with the elder Acharya SwamigaL brought me to SriMaTham and made me also a SwamigaL.

Denominating Me

On the previous day of my taking sannyAsa AshramaM, Acharya SwamigaL called the poets and pundits and consulted them, keeping me beside him, for a suitable name for me.

For the last five or six generations, the names Chandrasekharendra and Mahadeva were denominated in this PITham alternately. The consultation was to determine if the naming should be connected to these names or be a totally different name.

I came to SriMaTham in the month of panguni. PeriyavargaL's birth day came in the following chitirai, vaikasi months. It was also the year when he completed his sixtieth year of age. The name of the year was jaya.

The jaya year comes in the panguni month itself (from the beginning of Sri Ramanavami festival) with the birth of the Telegu new year, according to the lunar calendar. In the solar calendar, it might arrive with the birth of the Tamil new year, or even fifteen, twenty days later. Under this circumstance, the name 'jaya' stuck in the memory.

69th pIThAdhipatiH

The jaya year has another distinction. It was the birth year of Sri Maha PeriyavargaL. Therefore with the name jaya as the prefix, denominating me as Jayendra Saraswathi, he made me the 69th pIThAdhipati of SriMaTham.

It was the Telegu New Year's day in that year. They would celebrate Sri Ramanavami gloriously. With yajanaMs and pujas for ten days, Sri Rama PattabhiSekam would be celebrated eventfully. A special puja was performed in SriMaTham also. In the present larger Kanchi MaTham I was made to sit on the same place where the abhiSekam for Sri Rama on his coronation day was being performed. I was sitting at the place where the waters of ablution flew over. Periya SwamigaL ensured that when he performed the abhiSekam to Sri Rama with his own hand, the ablution waters fell on my head.

Coronation with the Divine Hands of Sri Periyavar

The day when Acharya SwamigaL with infinite mercy made the waters of ablution fall on my head was also the day when he made me the pIThAdhipati of SriMaTham. Within ten to fifteen days of my arriving at SriMaTham, PeriyavargaL coronated me immediately after Sri Rama PattabhiSekam, and on the same evening made me walk in a procession through the four raja vIthis of Kanchi. (This is known as pattina prevesam).

In other words, he gave me the full responsibility of SriMaTham within fifteen days of my arrival here.

Since Kanchipuram was in an urban area and since it attracted a large crowd, Maha SwamigaL arranged for my stay in a village called Orirukkai on the banks of Palar nearby, building a large thatched shed there and renting two houses, where I was to perform my pujas and continue my studies.

SaSTiapta pUrti

It was at that time that PeriyavargaL completed his sixtieth year of age. This event was known as SaSTiapta pUrti. I was fortunate to celebrate this event.

Even though he was a sanyAsin, we celebrated the completion of his sixty years of age as a holy event with the performance of special yajanaMs in the presence of Vedic pundits. I am mentioning this because he let the holy waters fall on my hand on the day of Sri Rama PattabhiSekam. And I had the fortune on his SaStiapta pUrti occasion, to conduct pujas and yajanaMs with all the water-filled holy pots and then perform abhiSekam to him with that holy water.

We thus celebrated the completion of his sixtieth year as a festival. From that day he kept me with him and trained me in all the affairs, such as our joint studies, our pujas and the MaTham administration. Up to the year 1970, I was beside him doing everything, till late night hours.

From the year 1970, he wanted to remain in solitude and lived in Ashramams erected either inside temples or on the banks of temple ponds.

After 1976, until 1980, for four years he undertook a solitary yAtrA throughout Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra. When I met him at Satara in the year 1980, I prayed to him, "You are getting old. I request you not to undertake solitary yAtrAs any more. Please come back." Accordingly, he reached Kanchipuram in the year 1983.

70th pIThAdhipatiH

In the meantime, it was difficult for me to take care of the pujas and the administration of the MaTham single-handedly. Therefore, with the permission of PeriyavargaL, I coronated Bala PeriyavargaL as the 70th pIThAdhipatiH of Sri Kamakoti PITham, on Sunday, the 29th of May 1983 at 5:30 hours in the morning, giving him sannyAsa dIkSA in the holy pond waters of Sri Kamakshi Amman temple. With Bala Periyavar as a shiSh^yaH on our side, I went to Kurnool, where all the three of us stayed and conducted the Vyasa Puja for our chAturmAsya vrata anuSTAnam. Thereafter, we came back to Kanchipuram, bringing PeriyavargaL with us.

From then on, he stayed at SriMaTham and was giving out his grace and blessings to everyone. A large difference is there between the pIThAdhipatis of other maThams and the position of PeriyavargaL. In addition to sitting on the pITham as pIThAdhipatiH and giving out blessings, he had the honour of participating in the numerous joys and sorrows of individual men's life, blessing them and elevating them in their life.

This is the reason that many are sobbing and worried, feeling his absence, even today. They are grieving for having lost a person in their family.

Had he been a general pIThAdhipatiH it would have been an ordinary thing. But then, since he was merged with the life of thousands of individuals, all of them had their mental agony, and his loss is felt all over the country. This is a special honour that is not had by any other pIThAdhipatiH.

Guide

Since I was with him, those habits have also formed in me. I was motivated to mingle with people, feel the sufferings of the oppressed and the downtrodden, and do the good that is required for them. PeriyavargaL is the guide for this work, which I am doing now, remaining and growing in the path shown by him.

Whatever he did, he used to say was his saMkalpaH. saMkalpaH, that is, what is thought in mind is known as icChA shakti. He was thus the icChA shakti, the saMkalpah mUrti. I showed myself as the kriyA shakti, the power of action. This was the state between the two of us.

Thus, without just being created for a pIThAdhipatiH, this pITham was formed for the people - for the general public - for dharma - for Astikam - for Anmeeham, and to foster them. In that respect, the seed he sowed - the plant he grew - I stand as the suport for it, seeing it grow into a tree today, doing all these services.

Just at the time when this tree brought forth fruits that started ripening, suddenly his body disappeared. While the effect it had on lakhs of people is on the one side, personally I am doing many services with the thinking that he is still around, and only through his might. I am able to do what he envisioned.

Therefore, whatever joys and sufferings arrive at an individual's life, to take efforts to recognize and mitigate them is a speciality that has been obtained in this pAramparyam.

Countless mahAns have taken birth. They were not pIThAdhipatis. There have been many pIThAdhipatis. They have not also been mahAns. There have been many who were mahAns as well as pIThAdhipatis. But it has been much less the case of wiping out the sorrows by partaking individual lives and elevating them. It is only our PeriyavargaL who was a maThadhipati, a mahAtma and also created a high state in the individual lives. We are also taking the same kinds of efforts to preserve and grow the tradition.

Guru Anugraham

Therefore, the general public should be conscious of our tradition and culture and have the feeling that just as there is an eternal God, there is also a traditional pITham where pIThAdhipatis succeed in a pAramparyam. And we all should order our lives through the blessings of the guru.

--viShNu purANam

In the PuShpagiri maTham
    author:....... T.N.SuppiramaNi
    compiler:..... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    source:....... MahA PeriyavAL darisana anubhavangaL vol.3, page 001-009
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamizh

In the year 1978, shrI PeriyavargaL was camping in the campus of the PANyam cement factory located on the banks of the Hagari river, which is a tributary of the TunggabhadrA river.

Our father was then working as the Station Master of the Kadapa (formerly Cuddapah) railway station. The PuShpagiri maTham is located in ChennUr near Kadapa. Occasioned by a meeting with the manager of that MaTham, MAyavaram KaNNAvaiyar, the friendship between Father and him was growing. Owing to that, we had the opportunity of PuShpagiri SvAmigaL staying for fifteen days in our gRham--house, doing pUjA in-vistAram--elaborately, and giving darshan to his bhaktas--devotees.

One day PuShpagiri SvAmigaL said, "The very kAraNam--reason, for my taking up saMnyAsam--renunciation, is only PeriyavAL!

"When I had completed my college education, he asked me, 'Will you take up the administration of the PuShpagiri maTham?' First I did not agree to the proposal. But then PeriyavA spoke to me about the distinctions of the PuShpagiri maTham. The health of the then pIThAdhipatigaL--pontiff, of the PuShpagiri maTham was not alright at that time. The MaTham was in much a kShINa--withered, state. When PeriyavargaL ordered me, 'Only you should take up the responsibility as pIThAdhipati of that MaTham and set its administration right', I could not refuse him.

"PeriyavargaL KAmAkShi svarUpam--form! Seems there will be no worldly news that would not be known to him!" We were much delighted to listen to him declare in this way.

Did you witness an accident?

When my thambi--younger brother, had darshan of PeriyavargaL, he asked, "Did you witness any accident on your way?"

"Yes..." Why he asked that question was known later.

When certain mukhyastas--VIPs, from BellAry, after going to MantrAlayam, were returning in their new car via Hagari, they had darshan of PeriyavargaL. The uttaravu--order of the sage, was that they stay in the place for the night and continue their return journey on early next morning. As they had to get back immediately, they started without staying for the night, and met with an accident en route!

Bring your mother!

For four or five years, our mother was suffering from rheumatism. She was bedridden. But then my mother had a great wish to have darshan of PeriyavargaL. How could it happen?

When supplicated to PeriyavargaL with much hesitation, he said, "Bring her".

Taking Mother in a car, we parked it at the entrance of the temple where Periyavar was staying. PeriyavargaL's dRShTi--sight, fell on the car. The sadas--assembly, of vedic pandits was going on inside the temple. Hearing the noise of the car, they muttered their disapproval and looked at us with disdain.

But then PeriyavargaL, as if he was calling a child, called to my mother, "vA...vA--come..come". My thambi and I supported Mother and took her near him.

"MaNi, seat her in-bhadram--with dear care" PeriyavA said, and started talking to Mother. In the pravAham--rush, of emotions, my Mother could not talk to him properly. Somehow she managed to narrate to him about our family problems. He gave her his anugraham--divine favour, "Everything will be alright gradually... don't worry."

When Mother was talking, PeriyavargaL asked me many times, "MaNi, is that your mother talking?" I said, "yes". Only later the kAraNam--reason, was known.

In her last days, Mother could not talk and she breathed her last in that state of health. Only this the mAmunivar--great sage, had indicated to us on that day.

In Shiva temple...

A village called VENivIrApuram near BellAry. Populated by people who depended on agriculture for their life. If there were no rains, there was no jIvanam--life.

They came to PeriyavargaL and supplicated to him in Kannadam.

"Is there a Shivan temple in your village?"

"There is."

"Do abhiShekam--pouring water over, (to the Shivalingam) with a hundred-and-eight pots of water. Enough if you do it uttering the mantra shiva, shiva. Do shivanAma japam sitting in the sannidhi--divine abode, until sUryodayam--sunrise."

As ordered by Periyavar, the shivArAdhanam was held on the next day. On the day after, they skies parted and it rained heavily!

The vigraham--image, VidyAraNya did pUja to

The mukhAm--camp, (of the sage) was in the Hospet ChintAmaNi maTham.

A LalilAmbAL vigraham is there, to which the Adhipati of that MaTham does daily pUja. PeriyavargaL said that it was vigraham VidyAraNya, who established the Hampi city, did pUja to.

A karNa-parampara--heard through the ears (not written down), legend is that in a guha--cave, located on the banks of a pond in Hampi, HanumAn did sandhyA-vandanam. VidyAraNya had done tapas--penance, in that guha (MalayALa brahma kuDi--lineage).

PeriyavargaL stayed there.

The custom-forlorn temple car was run

Since some parts of the ratham--car/chariot, of the Hampi VirUpAkSha temple suffered a damage in a fire accident, that custom of running that car (in an annual festival) was abandoned. PeriyavA encouraged the people of the TunggabhadrA Steel Company to get it repaired. Even in the state of complete repair, for some reason, the car refused to move. When the news was conveyed, PeriyavargaL came to that place and stood for sometime with closed eyes. Then he asked the car to be pulled. And the car moved happily, gently shaking (its tall frame)!

ChandrahAsan's KALI

During that time came the ArAdhana--worshipping, month of the AchArya who held the title before PeriyavAL.

Taking the help of SakhArAm BhaTTar who was doing pUja kaingaryam--puja services, in the RAmar temple at a place called GangavatI, PeriyavA ordered to appoint for the ArAdhana, uttama--most elevated, Vedic pandits of KarnATaka.

An atyanta shiShya--prominently close disciple, (now METTUr svAmigaL) and I, along with SakhArAm BhaTTar, visited the kugrAmas--hamlets, and invited several pandits who had done-arpaNa-of--dedicated, their life to the Vedas.

At that time, we saw the apUrva mUrtam--rare image, of HanumAn, in the KALI temple at KukkanUr, Koppal district, where the purANa-kAla--of Puranic times, ChandrahAsan worshipped. A pair of glittering stones of ratnam--gemstone, was fixed in the eyes. The installation of the image was such that the bhakta--devotee, from whatever spot he had darshan, had the impression that HanumAn was looking at him.

Vacate the maNDapam immediately!

The mukhAm--camp, was in Anakunti, on the banks of the TunggabhadrA river. One can see the ruined Chinna--cut images, of the KRShNadevarAya sAmrAjyam--empire, here.

They say that this was the place where shrI RAmA, standing behind a tree, killed VAli with his arrow. Similarly, it was the place of Nava BrindAvanam, considered sacred by the MAdhvas. The Nine BrindAvanas located on a rocky island in the midst of the TunggabhadrA is adored as the KAshi of the MAdhvas. So, MAdhvas used to visit the place in large numbers, and do pUja with bhakti--devotion.

The AnnapUraNI temple, which is under the administration of the ChintAmaNi maTham, is located in the city of Hospet. Goddess AnnapUraNI was given a decoration with laDDus, in accordance with Periyavar's AGYA--orders!

Around two o' clock in the afternoon, he gave his shiShyas sudden and urgent orders to immediately vacate the maNDapam--pavilion, where the cooking and dining was done, and move to the place adjacent to the AnnapUraNI temple. "There would be a cat and its kitten staying in the samaiyal-kaTTu--(Tamizh) kitchen. Drive them away too."

The maNDapam vacated by the shiShyas, after the next half-an-hour, for whatever reason, started falling down slowly!

PeriyavA saved everyone, including the cat and its kittens!

A boxful of fruits

When I went for darshan once, he asked me, "Will you buy fruits for the pAThashAla--Vedic school, boys?"

I was in goose bumps. It is enough if he said a word, "Buy fruits"? Shall I not carry it out as the first task, keeping it on top of my head?

The words of someone making an inquiry in MarAthi (language) was heard. PeriyavargaL asked the man to be brought inside at once. The details narrated by the man who came were: He was a retired employee who worked under a rAja-kuTumbam--royal family, of KAshmIr. Presently he was in SatAra. That KAshmIr king was one known to PeriyavargaL, he said. Gathering information that PeriyavA was camping in SatAra, the King had sent ten wooden boxes filled with high quality apples, to be presented to the sage. Taking delivery of those boxes from the office of the lorry company, the man had come straight to PeriyavargaL.

He piled up the boxes before PeriyavargaL. "It has turned out very well! You are saved from the expenses! Take two-three boxes and distribute them among the pAThashAla boys. You take one box..."

When hundreds of bhaktas were yearning to get one fruit from PeriyavAL, I had the fruit prasAdam--divine gift, of a boxful!

The bhakti of the boatman

The mukhAm--camp, was in PaNDarIpuram. Getting down from the bus, one can have darshan of PeriyavargaL, only after crossing the ChandrabhAgA river.

It was eight in the night when we got down from the bus. The sky was overcast with rain clouds, and it was drizzling. Dangerous floods swept the river.

The boatman at first did not oblige. He said in MarAthi, "It is dangerous to cross the river now. You can go in the morning." When we said, "we need to have darshan of SvAmigaL...", he said, "Shankar guruji? achChA--well, climb the boat."

After reaching the other bank, I stretched my hand with the fare to him.

"nahin--No, I won't get money! Shankar guruji is our eye-witnessed deivam--god. The very PaNDarinAtha (he is)! He called and talked to us. It was like ViTTal himself coming over and talking to us!"

Earth-ruling kings and well-read pandits adore PeriyavAL. Here a pAmaran--an illiterate, adores him! How can this be?

Giving up the idea of finding an answer, I am falling at the sacred feet of PeriyavA, doing vandanam--reverence, to him. Perhaps this is the answer?

Only that viDaiyERi--Bull-Rider, knows it.

--viShNu purANam

My First Darshan: by His Holiness Sri Vijayendra Saraswathi Swamiji
    Compiler: Sri T.S. Kothandarama Sarma (in Tamil)
    Source: Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL, Vol. 1, pages 35-40
    Publisher: Vanathi Padhippaham

I had darshan of Maha PeriyavargaL and Pudu PeriyavargaL when they were camping in Satara. One evening, the dIpa namaskAram was conducted. The elephant waved the chAmaram to the pAdukA. Since the place where the elephant was standing was a bit inclined, when its hind legs slightly slipped, it blared loudly. AppappA! Everyone was in dread. I was shaken.

Another day, Maha PeriyavargaL was sitting in a corner. Pudu PeriyavargaL was sitting centrally, doing an upanyAsaH. Suddenly he stopped his speech and went inside. I could not understand why. After a few minutes, when somebody informed that he went inside upon a direction from Maha PeriyavargaL, the reason was known. And that was a surprise.

When PeriyavargaL was doing ChandraMauleesvara puja I used to sit near him and watch it. One boy used to do the services such as breaking a coconut for Swami nivedanam and applying ghee to the lamp. I used to keenly observe such things as he was doing.

Later I had an opportunity. I had darshan of Maha PeriyavargaL at a place called Gulbarga. It was surprising to me to watch how fast he walked even at such advanced age. I went to the place Brahmapuri Panappoori from Gulbarga traveling on a horse drawn cart. There in the temple is the Shivalingam having the name Paataleshvarar. I was asked to recite Rg Veda there for two days during the puja time. I did it, and also recited Tothakashtakam as asked for.

One day, some bhaktas came to PeriyavargaL and were talking about the divine work and kumbhAbhiSekam of Sri Jalakandeshvarar temple, Vellore.

At those times I had the habit of watching PeriyavargaL keenly when he did daNDa tarpaNa and anuSTAnam. At those times he would be reciting some mantra. It seemed strange to me to watch him do japam with closed eyes for an hour. Somebody would gift money to those who did Veda recitation. Watching it all seemed new to me.

One day, an old man came to me and said that PerivargaL called me. He was staying at a distance of a furlong. I went to him. PerivargaL gave me a book --it was Taitriya Mantrakosam-- and asked me to sit by his side. Then asked me to turn some pages of the book. Then he asked me to read the last five lines on the left page. Then he ordered me to recite the mantra starting with sriye jAtam and ending with ya evam veda five times. I did as told. Then he asked me to indicate the place where the mantra was found in the book. I turned the pages and showed it to him. Then he asked me where the mantra samita mite mitatram was found. I told him. He asked another person to bring the book Rgveda Aitareya Brahmanam. That book was not available. I told him, "Vidyaranya Bashyam I studied stands in memory. A person in Tandalam village is having a book printed in Telugu. Whenever I had time, I learned it from him."

Silence pervaded for some minutes. Then he asked me, "in that mantra which usage is the correct one, vashat krityam santatai or vashat kruttai santattaiya?"* I informed him that it was the second usage that was the correct one.

Then he told me like an upadesham, "Read Tatvasaaram. In addition, learn to read and write Telegu well."

One day PeriyavargaL was sitting in a narrow spot in Sri Paataleshvarar temple. Thirteen Vedic students were sitting before him to take an examination on Rg Veda. Since he ordered me to come too, I joined them. He gave me a book and ordered me to write a mantra on its last inner cover page. I was confused as to what mantra I was to write.

PeriyavargaL had often asked me to recite the deepArAdhana mantra. He would ask me to repeat it several times. When I recited he would pay keen attention to me. Then he would say, "Recite this mantra this way -- write it down and learn." I did not know if Pudu PeriyavargaL had told something about me to PeriyavargaL. Only after it was decided to grant me sannyAsa AshramaM, I understood the meaning of all that PeriyavargaL had been telling me.

One day, in the month of May 1983, I was led to the presence of PeriyavargaL. He was staying in a cotton mill at Mahbub Nagar. The day I was to take sannyAsa AshramaM was close at hand. Some people who had known the purpose for which I had come there, took me reverentially to PerivargaL. PeriyavargaL at that time was talking to people around him about Polagam Sundara SastrigaL--as to how he was a matchless vidvan in Dharma Shastras and how one can count with fingers such great vidvans today. He was happy that I had come there for a darshan.

It was known that I had to go to Hyderabad from there and then to Tirupathi without fail. I was standing in his presence having his darshan with the thought that I got his grace through the very look from the corner of his eye. Acharyar also looked at my side. Then I moved away.

I understood then that PeriyarvagaL had earlier told a bakta that the latter would have darshan of three acharyas at the same time.

Our Maha SwamigaL lived as satya murti--as a personifaction of Truth. Everyone would be surprised at his tremendous ability of remembrance. With his sankalpa of doing good to mankind, he took much delight in doing good even to the one who criticised him. He was like a great dam that contained within itself a deluge. He was the one who worked ceaselessly for social justice and unity. Whatever he thinks another person should be doing, he would do it himself, setting an example. May his grace protect us all.

*I request readers to supply the correct form of the phrases used here.--sd

--viShNu purANam

On the banks of the river KAvEri at Angkarai
    author:....... a devotee
    compiler:..... T.S.KOthaNDarAma sarma
    translator.... saidevo
    source:....... MahA PeriyavAL darisana anubhavangaL v03-p028-032

From Angkarai, in the year 1986, some people had come for darshan.

After inquiring them about many general matters, he inquired probingly about the sandhyA-vandana ghat on the KavEri bank. Pointing to Angkarai ShrIKaNThan standing nearby, who was taking care of the bhikShA kaingkaryam--feeding the sage and his assistants, he said, "Whenever I ask him about Angkarai, this man says he doesn't know anything."

To that ShrIKaNThan replied, "It is since forty years I left Angkarai. So, I do not know anything about it."

The people who had come for darshan said, "Some people have encroached the sandhyA-vandana ghat and erected huts there; only a small place is left there."

shrIPeriyavAL: Those are poor people. You don't need to drive them away. In the remaining place, construct a compound wall, plant two bhilva trees and tulasi and nourish them.

They assured him to do it as ordered.

Later, ShrIKaNThan took saMnyAsa--renunciation, in the year 2003 and went to (shrIMaTham branch at) TiruvAnaikkovil, where he attained siddhi. When yatna--efforts, were initiated to bury the deham--body, in the shrIMaTham garden there, since shrIMaTham remained within the pancha-prakAram--five courtyards, (of the TiruvAnaikkA temple), some people did-AkShepa--objected, that no buriyal should be done there.

With no other solution was in sight, based on the suggestion given by a man who built the compound wall at Angkarai, and in accordance with the uttaravu--(Tamizh) orders, of shrIPeriyavAL, the body was taken there and the buriyal done.

For his saMnyAsa shiShya--ascetic disciple, who was to attain siddhi in the year 2003, his getting ready a place in the year 1986 itself... did it happen accidentally? or by shrIPeriyavAL's dIrgha dRShTi--foresight?

arE, Allah...!

shrIPeriyavAL was camping in the pumping station of the A.C.C.Cement Factory, on the banks of the KAgna river, in Hyderabad.

That pradesham--region, belonged to the Old Hyderabad SamasthAnam. Now it is a part of the KarnATakA state.

At a kilometer distance from that place, is the garden of a man named BhImasEnappA KiTTappA. He was the one who opposed the atrocities on the Razaks during the rule of the Nawab and won the battle. Accepting his wishes that PeriyavAL should visit his place, the sage went there one day.

In the time of mAdhyAnikam--noon, a Muslim devotee came for darshan. When shrIPeriyavAL told him, "Your wife came in the morning with fruits and had darshan", he was surprised and said: "I am working in a shop. When I walked this morning holding the rickshaw, BAbA--your holiness, had a look at me. I had a feeling of seeing Allah in person. Further it seemed to me that you said something in Urdu, my mother tongue. I could come only now, after my work is over. At home, my wife told me of her having darshan."

The sage gave him fruits and did anugraham, when the devotee thus spoke to him and prostrated. It is not surprising that MahA-PeriyavAL who is ellAvum--everything, not giving darshan as Allah.

Build a RAmar temple

The time when shrIPeriyavAL was in mukhAm--camp, in the year 1978, at Hampi. The yuvarAjA--prince, of SANDUr, had made Ramesh BhaTT, the assitant of the rAjaprohita--royal priest, of SANDUr MahArAjA, stay in Hampi, in order to provide the facilities required for shrIPeriyavAL's mukhAm.

During night, when shrIPeriyavAL's kaingkaryaparas--assistants, were sleeping, Ramesh BhaTT alone would be awake, enjoying shrIPeriyavAL's singing with rAgam--the specific musical note, saundarya-laharI, shivAnanda-laharI and many other shlokas--verses. Whenever PeriyavAL rose from his sitting, he would wake up the sage's aNukkat thoNDargaL--personal assistants.

One day after finishing singing a saundarya-laharI shlokam, calling him, shrIPeriyavAL asked, "All those who come to me seek something from me, whereas you don't ask me anything, why?"

Ramesh BhaTT: "PeriyavAL is god. His holiness knows everything. So, there is no avashyam--necessity, for any sort of prayer."

shrIPeriyavAL, at once: "Your tagappanAr--(Tamizh) father, has taken a saMkalpam--vow, to do rAma-pratiShTA--installation of shrI RAmA's image, in your grAmam--village. You do-pUrti--fulfill it."

The native village of Ramesh BhaTT named KAlkatigi, is located at 130 kilometers in the prAntiyam--region, of DhArwAr/DhArwad city (KarnATaka state). Ramesh's father had never come for darshan of PeriyavAL. And Ramesh did not know that his father had taken such a saMkalpam.

Ramesh: "My salary is very low. How can I build a RAmadeva mandir?"

shrIPeriyavAL: Without any shramam--exertion, in ten years, you are going to build the kOvil--temple, by your own earnings, and without getting any yAchakam--donation."

With the next few days after the mukhAm--camp, moved from Hampi, Ramesh got the opportunity of an udyogam--job, as a tablA vidvAn--drums expert, attached to the All India Radio Station at DhArwAr. He also got opportunities of performing in private concerts. With those earnings, in the tenth year thereafter, Ramesh built a RAmadeva temple and completed doing pratiShTA--installaton, of the vigrahas--images, his father had bought.

Ramesh BhaTT would say, his gratitude welling up, "It was not with my money, only by PeriyavAL's anugraham, that I could build this temple."

Last edited by saidevo; 25 May 2011 at 11:15 PM.

--viShNu purANam

A servant's personal reminiscences--oru Uzhiyanin antarangkam
    author:....... InduvAsan, VAlAjApeTTai
    compiler:..... T.S.KOthaNDarAma sarma
    translator.... saidevo
    source:....... MahA PeriyavAL darisana anubhavangaL v03-p033-055

Pages 33-37
    For the first time, on 18.3.1978, I had darshan of PeriyAvAL.

It was a sacred shubha-dinam--auspicious day. The dinam when PeriyavA admitted me into his grace--ATkoNDa dinam.

My father shrI TR SundaramUrti (teacher, VAlAjA) has told me several times about the mahiman--greatness, of PeriyavAL. With him, I too have had darshan of PeriyavAL. It was just a darshan, with no feelings of ecstasy cropping up inside me.

But then the darshan of the eighteenth of March, altogether drew me towards his side.

Like the shiva-gaNas--Shiva's group of assistants, who do service to KailAsha-nAtha--Lord of KailAsh, I too was admitted to the group of servants who did service to PeriyavAL.

PeriyavA was then staying in SivAsthAnam. You know what task did he assign to me?

The task of watering, drawing water from the well there, the cows and calves of shrIMaTham and the mango plants and creepers there! In addition, the sweet task of preparing pAnakam--jaggery-sweetened water drink, to satisfy the thirst of the aDiyArs--(Tamizh) devotees, who thronged the place.

At those times, I did not know anything about the AchAra-anuShThAnas--religious routines, and the sampradAyas--customs, of shrIMaTham. People like METTUr RAjagopAla mAmA--uncle, (later, METTUr SvAmigaL), and BAlu mAmA trained me in those practices.

When he was doing pradakShiNam--going round, in the SivAsthAnam BrahmapurIsvarar Alayam--temple, PeriyavA would look at every plant there, and also look at the cows and calves, compassion welling up. (In later days, I had thought and felt happy about how much bhAgyam--fortune, those plant-creepers and cow-calves should have earned to get PeriyavAL's dIrgha-dRShTi--deep glance, grace them.)

Those days PeriyvAL himself would ask me, "What did you do today?" What he said on my reply would contain aneka upadeshas--many teachings. Any mistakes I committed, he would indicate and raise me up, without my knowing it--without hurting me.

Every day, early morning at three o' clock, starting from SivAsthAnam, he would do pradakShaNam of the four mADa vIdhis--surrounding main streets, of shrI VaradarAja PerumAL temple (all of us accompanying him, chanting the viShNu sahasranAmam repeatedly, in low voice).

The day of 1978 April 16th.

Starting as usual at three in the early morning, after having darshan at shrI KAmAkShIamman temple, and then at SureshvarAchArya's sannidhi--divine abode, at shrIMaTham, he started his pAdayAtrA--travel on foot, towards a grAmam--village, called KIzhambi.

KAnchIpuram-vAsis--residents of KAnchIpuram, assembling in large numbers, supplicated to him in tears, not to go on yAtrA for bahudUram--long distance.

PeriyavAL was observing kAShTa maunam--complete, inactive silence. Without showing any signs, he contined to walk.

From a place called Chinnappa Samudram, on the way to AnantapUr, we stayed in a village called Katri. In this village, there is a purAtana--ancient, LakShmI NarasiMha temple.

Starting from AnantapUr and arriving at Sanghamesvaram, we then proceeded and stayed in a dilapidated maNDapam--pavilion, in a place called TammApuram.

The date of June 27, 1978 is one that cannot be forgotten in my life! On that auspicious day, I had the fortune of having darshan of MahA-PeriyavAL and Pudu-PeriyavAL together.

In that small maNDapam in disrepair, the trikAla--thrice a day, ChandramaulIshvara puja was performed in a grand manner.

From TammApuram, through the place called DADi-badri, we arrived at a place called KUtthi. A grand reception for PeriyavAL in that town. The chippantis--staff, and the town people had made elaborate facilities for our stay. Everyone was in utsAham--joy.

Then, from that place, we reached a small village named RAjApuram, at a distance of five kilometers. It was a day (13.7.78) of alpa-dvAdashI: that is, dvAdashI lasted only up to ten in the morning on that day. So, finishing our pAraNai--(Tamizh) food, before ten o' clock, we started towards a village called TimmAnjcharlA, thirty kilometers away. Without stopping anywhere en route, we were walking slowly. The time of night arrived. In addition, it started raining heavily! Hailstorm with thunder!

The path ahead was totally invisible! No sight of the ups and downs on the road was possible, and the legs slipped often. A good building was seen nearby. We had the yearning if PeriyavA would tell us, 'we can stay there'.

"Walk chanting viShNu sahasranAmam", were his orders. In other words, it was understood that we were not going to stay anywhere en route.

At that time, PANAmpaTTu KaNNan and I were going in the front, dragging the cycle rickshaw. shrIKaNThan mAmA and shrI BAlu mAmA came behind, along with PeriyavA, pushing the rickshaw. METTUr RAjagopAla mAmA came behind, on the right side of the rickshaw. Leading us was shrI Chandramauli (ChInu mAmA's son), signalling us through our passage with an electric torchlight.

It was eleven-thirty at night when we reached TimmAnjcharlA! The next morning we reached a bigger place called GuNDakkal.

The mukhAm--camp, was at GuNDakkal. A day after, I had to get back to KUtthi for a task. I went looking at the road I passed through. Only then it was known that the path we walked through two days back was a pukka jungle path!

--viShNu purANam

Pages 38-41

The yAtrA continued. We stayed in the big building that belonged to the PANyam cement factory in the place called Nagari.

PeriyavA started his chAturmAsya vratam in that place. So, it was not possible to move to any place for the next two months!

Dunlop KRShNan mAmA--uncle, my father and I were directed to go to Hampi (the old capital city of the Vijayanagara sAmrAjyam--empire) and have a look. On our way back to Hagari, he had asked us to bring along two distinguished people at Hospet, who were members of the Hampi renovation council. They came with us in bahu saMtoSham--great happiness.

With them PeriyavA talked elaborately about KIzhambi and Hampi. He explained them the differences in the epigraphs at KIzhambi. He asked them, "What plans do you have for doing punaruttAraNaM--renovation, of Hampi?"

The discussions prolonged. Since it was time for his bhikShA, PeriyavA got up and went inside. When he came back after his bhikShA, the notables from Hospet were not to be seen. "Go out some distance and check. If they are seen, bring them along." (He told an assistant).

It was a shock to us that those people went away without taking leave from PeriyavAL. The man who went in search of them came back saying he could not find them.

When the Hospet anbars--friends, were passing BellAry, their car met with an accident. News arrive later on that one of them died on the spot and the other man escaped with heavy injuries.

Perhaps PeriyavA wanted to save them from that accident? Perhaps their fate was stronger (than the sage's wishes).

1978, July 28.

To the four of us--myself, Dunlop KRShNan, Dr.SubrahmaNiyan, and kadarkkaDai--handloom shop, VengkaTarAmaiyar--PeriyavA gave an order: "Do daily pArAyaNam--recital, of dEvAram.

The conversation grew on the subject. PeriyavAL talked about AmbalavANa DEsikar (a pontiff of the TiruvAvaDuturai shaiva AdhInam and NamachchivAya PaNDAratthAr. He said that AmbalavANa DEsikar during his last days got relieved from the MaTham administration, and attained samAdhi at some other place. It was a surprise to us as to how PeriyavAL gets to know these historical news and keeps them in his memory.

1978, August 2.

PeriyavA gave an elaborate explanation about the mahiman--greatness, of the KAnchIpuram and KumbakONam sthalas--sacred places.

He said that the widest roads in the world and the houses built close to each other with no gap in between were to be found in KAnchIpuram. Similarly, he showed how KumbakONam and its surrounding places house the largest number of temples and sacred places.

"There are no hills at all in the Thanjai (ThanjAvUr) district. Yet, if only in that pradesham--region, are found the largest number of temples built of rock, the reason was only Ishvara-bhakti. Of the 274 pADal peTRa sthalanggaL, 200 places are in the ThanjAvUr district (presently Thanjai, NAgai (NAgappaTTinam), TiruvArUr districts). There are epigraphs in the temple of NAgesvara-svAmi at KuDandhai--KumbakONam, that mAnyas--grants, were given for study of the shAstras--Hindu scriptures.

"The CholA kings, during the times when KAvEri was in flood, built teppam--floats, and used them to bring the rocks from the Kollimalai, and built the temples.

"There is a sthalam called ANDAn-kOvil. An aDiyAr--devotee, called ANDAn lived there, so the village got his name. A canal called ODam-pOkki runs there. When the rocks were brought through ODampOkki to build the temple at TiruvArUr, they took one stone per trip and build the temple at SIrkAzhi. This is a place with numerous epigraphs. In these epigraphs, the content is written first in the grantha lipi, then in Telugu script and thirdly in the devanAgarI lipi."

Note:
    pADal peTRa sthalanggaL*--sacred places sung by the four chief pioneers of Shavisim (Appar, Sundarar, Sambandhar, MANikkavAchakar)

--viShNu purANam

Pages 41-44

1975, August 6th.

We were reading appar devAram. PeriyavA told us then.

"SvAmi--god Shiva, has the name prANanAthar, prANeshvarar at (the temple in) Tirumanggalak-kuDi.

"The puranic legend of the place says that Agastya muni, doing prANAyAmam (controlling his breathing), brought water from the river, and did abhiShekam to prANeshvarar using his two hands. To control breathing is prANAyamam, not just touching the nose and chanting the mantra. When doing gAyatrI japam, one should control breathing and do it.

"chandrakam means a peacock's tail. There is a vAkya--statement, kalasha-chandraka nIlakaNTha visphurUtim kAlikA

When the clouds gather and grow thick in the sky, peacocks would spread out their tails and dance in joy. Herons would fly forming a row that resembles a garland. Parameshvara's dance was said to be one such! The megham--clouds, called nIlakANTha, the asthimAlA--garland of bones that resembled a crowd of white herons, and his visphrUti naTanam like a peacock dancing with its tail spread out! ... what beautiful upamAnam--simile!"

"A man named kuRumbar gave a wood apple to SvAmi--Shiva, at TiruvIzhi-mazhalai.

"SvAmi in this place married KAtyAyanI--DurgA, and went around in his wedding procession in kizhavan kolam--(Tamizh) form of an old man. After giving darshan to everyone, he disappeared dampati-sameta--as a couple. Then he gave darshan to the sage KAtyAyana, with five hundred RShis--ascetics. The SvAmi at this place has a paTTappeyar--(Tamizh) nickname, called mAppiLLai svAmi--bridegroom god!

"In the AmbAL sannidhi street, there lived the kAtyAyana sUtrakAras--those who followed the KAtyAyana sUtra text, who were trained in the shukla-yajur veda. Here, for five hundred men, the name was only vizhiyAn--one who has the Eye, literally. Only for the five-hundred-and-first man, there would give SvAmi's name.

"In the month of vaishAkha pUrNimA--full moon day of VaikAsi month, the utsavam--annual festivities, would be held in the temple. Only if five hundred people are present, could this utsavam be held.

"There are five wonders in the chOzha-nADu--country of the Chozhas. 1. AvuDaiyAr-kOil koDungkai--curved roof of thinning stone; 2. Tiruvalan-chuzhi palakaNi--a latticed window of granite; 3. The maNDapach-chengkal--brick pavilion, at TiruvIzhi-mazhalai; 4. The madhil--compound wall, at KiDArang-koNDAn; and 5. The images of the eye and the viLAmpazham--wood apple, seen on the legs of the utsava vigraham--procession idol, at ViShNupuram temple.

"Once when there was famine, Appar and Sambandhar sang verses (on Shiva) invoking financial help to do-amudhu--feed, the aDiyArs--devotees. ShivaperumAn showered his grace (in reply) by keeping (two) gold coins on the bali-pITham--pedestal for offers to the deity, at the TiruvIzhimazhalai temple. Appar got a blemishless, full coin and Sambandhar got a defective coin at that time."

When we were doing pArAyaNam-of--reading, the periya purANam, he spoke to us about Kambar and AmbikApati.

"In the maTham at TiruvoTRiyUr, to a girl who was working as a maid, Kambar was born.

"A woman called Ambikai CheTTy was worshipping a shivalingam at KIzhambi. That lingam had the name AmbikApatIshvarar. That very name Kambar gave his son. Kambar's wife too belong to TiruvoTRiyUr.

"The Ur--town, that was known by the name kalingga mAnagaram in the ancient time is now called TakkOlam.

"ToNDaimaNDalam was a nADu--country, which was the very embodiment of satyam--speaking truth. This viShayam--information, is seen in the stone epigraphs of Asoka's time."

In this way, PeriyavA would tell us countless pieces of news at frequent times.

1978, September 21.

PeriyavA was staying in a car shed. The then prime minister shrI MorArji DesAi, and with him shrI P.RAmachandran, VAjpAi, DevarAj Urs, came and had darshan of the sage in that car shed.

Note:
    01. koDungkai at AvuDaiyAr-kOil
    http://photos.hindulistings.com/hind...emple-01.shtml
    at TirupperuntuRai
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/32044829
    at Thiruveezhimizhalai
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/27599162

02. palakaNi at Tiruvalan-chuzhi
    http://kshetrapuranas.blogspot.com/2...uspicious.html

03. Brick pavilion at TiruvIzhi-mazhalai
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40804520

--viShNu purANam

Pages 44-49

The yAtrA--journey, continued. We arrived at an old samasthAnam--princely state, called SANDUr.

shrI Ghorpade of the rAja-parampara--royal lineage, and the iLayarAjA--(Tamizh) prince, gave a very grand reception to PeriyavAL.

Fifteen days camp in this place. shrI Shankara jayanti was celebrated in-visheSham--with distinction.

President NIlam SanjIva ReDDy had darshan of PeriyavAL in SANDUr. What was important was where he had it.

PeriyavA gave darshan, sitting under a vanni--mesquit, tree, in the goShAlA--cow shed, run by king Ghorpade! The president was surprised at PeriyavAL's eLimai--simplicity, and samatvam--equality/equanimity. The meeting was a quiet incident, without any of the fanfare that accompanies a President's visit.

Where PeriyavAL stayed, king Ghorpade has constructed a temple resembling a maNimaNDapam--large hall, as a memorial for PeriyavAL. There was no limit to Ghorpade's gurubhakti!

A kugrAmam--hamlet, on the way from ChittUr to MadanapaLLi. We stayed for the night at the Shiva temple. Since it was night and due to the exertion of walking, PeriyavA retired. Since it was customary to start the yAtrA in the early morning, all of us who were his disciples were ready. PeriyavA gave orders, "Let us start sAyaMkAlam--in the evening."

When there was enough sunlight, PeriyavA came out of the temple to give darshan. Some fifty to sixty people who had come from the surroundings, with their children, gathered and prostrated at a distance in reverence.

It was a surprise for all of us! The people of this village had come the previous night and had darshan standing in a queue. Since they could not have darshan if PeriyavA started in the early morning from that place, the people preferred the night for their darshan. Why did not these people too have their darshan at that time?

"Come near and have darshan", we went and invited them. They did not accept it. "We people should not come near the temple. We were waiting for sAmi--sage, rAtri muchchUDum--the whole of night. Only now has sAmi come out..." It was a village regulation that those untouchables should not enter the temple, they said.

We went to PeriyavAL to inform the matter. There was no need for that, however.

"There are lots of mango fruits given by those who had darshan last night. Collect them in a sack and give to these people. Let them eat, they are fasting since last night."

As we gave the fruits, they received and consumed them happily. "Didn't you people take anything last night?"

"No. We came to have a look at sAmi. sAmi stayed inside. So we stayed here because he should come out in any case..."

How did PeriyavAL know of their fasting? That is the brahma-granthi--BrahmA's knot!

PeriyavAL's sallApa--making fun, Ecchu--jeers, and zleShas--puns would be in a way that would be pleasing; they would not hurt anyone.

He would call me in chellam--(Tamizh) indulgence, kitthuvAi--stutterer, and rickshaw OTTi--rickshaw driver.

We were staying in the VinAyaka temple near the MIraj city. The orders for me were to visit the place scheduled for our next camp and check the camping facilities there.

Carrying out those orders, I entered the VinAyaka temple. After taking bath, I met shrIKaNThan uncle.

"Since last night he did not take even water. Would not touch milk or the fruits, PeriyavA. We even tried to persuade him by begging, but no use. You are a small boy. If you ask him, perhaps PeriyavA might be in sammatam--agreement", he told me.

Doing vandanam--reverence, to PeriyavA, I submitted the fruits given by the anbars--(Tamizh) devotees, at the place where I had gone to check.

"You had your meal?"

I nodded no.

"Go have your meals and then come."

I had the thought that it was a good time to broach the subject that shrIKAnThan uncle spoke to me about. "I shall dine after PeriyavAL has his bhikShA."

When PeriyavargaL compelled me, I left the place saying "I shall dine later". Five minutes later, a call from PeriyavA. I went to him.

From the heap of fruits in front of him, he asked me to take a fruit per variety. I gave them to him. Cutting each fruit (with his own hands!), he gave a half to me and asked me to find how it tasted. Thinking that PeriyavA thought of himself consuming a half fruit that was not sour, I received the halves and at them.

PeriyavA asked me about the taste of each fruit. I told him.

"ippO pasi aDanggiDutthA?--(Tamizh) has your hunger subsided now?"

How natural were those words, without any trace of ekkaLippu--(Tamizh) conceit-tinged exultation about, 'Look, how easily have I deceived you!'

I was moved to the point of tears. Only the memory of my mother came up. Since I couldn't bear to be hungry, she would serve me sAdam--cooked rice meal, at precise hours in our house. My throat choking, I told him about shrIKaNThan uncle's sadness (about PeriyavA not taking anything for bhikShA).

"It was Sunday yesterday. I had milk and fruit. Only in prAyashchittam--atonement, I remained without having any bhikShA now. It is pradoSham day today. After doing pradoSha pUja, I shall have my bhikShA."

Should I feel garva--pride, for his answering me, considering me as of some importance? Or should I melt at heart for his atonement for a small doSham--fault? I couldn't understand.

(It is shAstra vidhi--scriptural regulation, that one should observe upavAsam--fasting, on a Sunday night. Therefore, the custom at shrIMaTham on Sundays was to take something before sUrya-astamanam--sunset, on that day. There would be no work at all in the kitchen on a Sunday night! Only in accordance with this, that PeriyavA instructed me as narrated above.)

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information