Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

Re: Kanchi Paramacharya: A Virtual Darshan

(1) Jayendra was picked up as successor by paramacharya even before he was born, yet jayendra was arrested on murder charges. Paramacharya's influence was ineffectual in moulding Jayendra. Some people also say that Jayendra was involved in promiscuous acts.
    By the way, paramacharya knew me personally.
    (2) Professor V. Krishnamurthy is quite an authority. See the following link :-

http://www.geocities.com/profvk/gohitvip/contents.html
    Last edited by soham3; 22 February 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by soham3 View Post
    Jayendra was picked up as successor by paramacharya even before he was born, yet jayendra was arrested on murder charges. Paramacharya's influence was ineffectual in moulding Jayendra. Some people also say that Jayendra was involved in promiscuous acts.
    This thread is not meant for discussing the case against HH Jayendra Sarasvati Swamiji. You talk as if you are above everyone and who knows everything and that hardly goes well with your own quote in your profile: "I am a bad boy trying to become good."

Quote Originally Posted by soham3 View Post
    By the way, paramacharya knew me personally.
    If that be true, it is rather unfortunate that, in your own words above, "Paramacharya's influence was ineffectual in moulding" you!
    Last edited by saidevo; 23 February 2008 at 09:25 AM.

From the Tamil book 'KAnchi mahAnin karuNai uLLam'
    compiled by Sri Raa. VenkatasAmy

Pages 7-12

TyAga Brahmam sang in those days with a melting heart: "endarO mahAnubhAvalu, andariki vandanamu" ("There are so many great people: to all of them, here are my prostrations.") Who are those 'mahAnubhAvAs'?

A 'pravachana medhA' (expert discourser) explained that all those who like TyAgarAja think about Sri Rama day and night with a melting heart are 'mahAnubhAvAs'. In the same way, aren't all those who think, worship and feel happy about MahA PeriyavAL are 'mahAnubhAvas' too? Among these good hearts, so many great people have come to receive KAnchi MahAn's look of grace and have gone into 'bhakti paravasham' (totally given to devotion). They have attained prosperity in life. To know about those several incidents that time cannot erase, today we have the opportunity to listen to people and read through magazines. Still, we neither have the experience nor the age to know completely about whatsoever channels MahA PeriyavaAL's extensive attention has coursed through. This compilation of experiences is only a humble effort I have taken to let the outside world know about the direct experiences of people who have come under his 'karuNA kaTAkSham' (glance of grace and compassion). Although some of these might have been published elsewhere, it is my desire that you read them again and think about MahA PeriyavAL.

Let me start his glance of compassion, right from my home.

When my son BAlAji was born, the astrologers who were sought to compute his horoscope said, "Until sixteen years of age, this boy's 'yogam' is not proper. So the horoscope should be computed only after that age." There was no god that my wife Sarasvati who was worried about this, did not pray to; no temple that she did not visit. She is a devotee of TiruchchengoTTu ArdhanArIshvarar. Although we have two daughters, our only one son is this boy; so which mother can remain without wishing for a long life for her only son? My wife observed fasting on all the days of 'vratam' that came in a month. She was also ready to take up any sort of harsh penance for the sake of her son.

It was a Thursday, a day of fasting for her, 'AhAram' (food) at only late evening, and that after the puja. That evening, my younger daughter RAjam, who was reading her lessons after returning from the school, suddenly turned towards her mother and asked, "EnammA (Why, mother), people talk a lot about PeriyavAL at KAnchi. Why don't you to pray to him for BAlAji?" Taking these words that came through a lass as the Devi's words of grace, my wife from that day on started doing puja in worship of MahA PeriyavAL. A speciality about this is that, my wife is very serious about whatever she starts, so she started doing 'ArAdhanam' to MahA PeriyavAL with mad obsession. Her only attention was on Kanchi PeriyavAL...

One night she had a dream while sleeping. PeriyavA is sitting on the chair I use for reading and writing. Between him and her, water is flowing noisily in a stream. My wife, on this side of the stream, prays to him for her son.

That MahAn says peacefully: "You have saved a lot in the bank. It wouldn't decrease whatever you take from it. So don't worry."

The dream dissolved. It was dawn time. Thereafter, it was only Maha PeriyavAL for her. Her friends and she had started the habit of visiting Kanchi every full moon day and have darshan of Sri KamAkShi and KAnchi PeriyavAL.

My position about this was different: I am the one who think that it is enough to respect MaThAdhipatis (pontiffs)--no need to worship them.

During this time, a friend of mine bought a beautiful, small Devi statue from the PUmpuhAr Art Shop and presented it. This was followed by the debate as to whether the 'vigraha ArAdhana' could be done at home or not.

First of all, what god is this 'vigraham'? It was the situation that we could place the god on the image with certainty.

I told my wife. "You are going to see Kanchi PeriyavAL. You ask him about the god of this 'vigraha shila'. If he says it right, I shall accept him as a god among men."

This was an incident that happened twenty-five years back.

"This time, you too come with me", she said. Some 'shakti' in me told, "Go and see..." So we went... A long queue... One by one, people were having darshan of the MahAn and moving away. After some people stood my wife, me beind her.

The MahAn extended his hand and called my wife. When she went near him, he raised both his hands and blessed here well. Then he asked forthwith, "AkhilANDeshvari has come to your home?" Tears gushing from her eyes, my wife simply nodded her head in affirmation. Blessing her again, he looked at her keenly from top to toe, as she prostrated to him and got up.

Later my wife told me, "That look did something to me."

I who was listening to his words, fell before him, my eight limbs touching the ground. That hands that came together in worship in the god's presence did not come down, as we moved away.

Calling my wife once again, the MahAn blessed and sent her back. From then on, I became a slave of MahA PeriyavAL. After this, several incidents happened on their own that helped me know more about that MahAn...

The full honour of giving me that opportunity for our family belongs to Tirumigu. RAjagopAl who is administering the 'PeriyavA Griham', his wife, and to GitA mAmi who is day and night doing 'smaraNa' (remembering) of PeriyavA's name. Beyond them, another slave is forever helping me: this is Tirumigu. Ravichandran, who was the shadow of Pradosham mAmA who has attained God's lotus feet--an eminent man of sacrifice who gave up his job just for the sake of doing work related to PeriyavA. For all these people, there is no thought other than MahA PeriyavAL. It is by the help of these 'mahAnubhAvas' that I am able to give a graphic account of MahA PeriyavAL's compassionate heart at least to this extent.

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

From the Tamil book 'KAnchi mahAnin karuNai uLLam'
    compiled by Sri Raa. VenkatasAmy

Pages 13-15

An elderly man was doing kaingariyam (service) in the MaTham until the year 1952. His name was PanchApakesan. For one who had only service to PeriyavA as his lifetime goal, since he suffered from some ailment, he took leave from PeriyavAL and returned to his village near TanjAvUr. Although he left KAnchi MaTham, he worshipped the MahAn day and night, always thinking of him. He never spared an inch when it came to his pUja vishayam. He had two sons and a daughter, all of them married. Seeing that his father was still engaging himself only in PeriyavA Kaingaryam, his eldest son spoke to him:

"Why dad, you have interest only in service to PeriyavA at all times? For the education you had, had you gone to some Government service then, by this time you would be receiving your pension. And that money would be useful to you for your expenses, isn't it?"

PanchApakesan was panicked with these words. His body shivered. Suddenly he couldn't even talk. Relaxing himself a little, he said:

"dEi (Hey son), one should be fortunate to do kaingaryam to MahA PeriyavAL. I got that bhAgyam, and I stayed near him doing my service. By that what harm have you people come to? You all studied well, and got married well. Only that human God ensures that we have no shortfall in life." Thus the elderly man had burst out his feelings. Should his own son blame the Deivam?

"No dad, had you gone to a Government service at least you would have received your pension now; only with this feeling of regret and concern that I spoke my words", said his son, putting an end to the subject.

A marriage took place in Chennai sometime after this incident. His eldest son was needed to go and he attended the marriage, which took place grandly. Immediately after the wedding celebrations ended, the groom and bride were taken to KAnchi for Periyavar's blessings. PanchApakesan's eldest son too went with them. One by one moved away getting PeriyavAL's blessings and his turn came up. Periyavar raised his head and looked at him. "Aren't you PanchApakesan's son?" was MahA PeriyavAL's question. "Yes", replies the son with surprise. "Is your father doing well?" continues the MahAn. "How much AtmArtha bhakti he has towards me you know? Keep him well. How many children for you?" After such inquiries, the sage continued:

"It is only my desire that I should do a lot for the people who do sevA (service) in this MaTham. But then I only administer the MaTham here; so I can't do much. I do paripAlanam (nourishing, guarding) of the MaTham only with whatever people give us. This is not a sarkAr (Goverment) office, isn't it? So what else can I do except to pray to KAmAkShi day and night that everyone should be prosperious? But then for what your father did in this MaTham and for his bhakti, it is my desire to do him something. So we have arranged for him to receive 25 kalam* of paddy every month directly at his village--as his 'pension'."

When he heard this, PanchApakesan's son fell shAShTAngam before MahA PeriyavAL, wailing. "SarveshvarA! I only talked to my father with concern. I never blamed it on his sevA to you. Please pardon me."

"I have not blamed you at all. I arranged for this small return only because I cannot do anything bigger to him." That trikAla jnAni comforted the son.

For the son who thought it was enough about his father's sevA, he too followed the example of his father and became PeriyavAL's slave. Even today at NeedAmangalam the pension arrives at his home in the form of paddy. A school teacher, he came to PeriyavA Griham when he visited Salem for a marriage. This is the story he narrated then about the karuNai uLLam of KAnchi MahAn.

Note:
    One kalam is equivalent to 12 marakkAl, which in turn is a measure of eight litres.

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Professor who took the bhAShya pATham!
    devotee:...... brahmashrI KRShNa shAstri Joshi
    author:....... brahmashrI KRShNa shAstri Joshi, shrI Shankara MaTham, SatAra
    compiler:..... T.S. Kothandarama Sarma
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 93-97
    publisher:.... VAnathi Padhippaham (May 2005 Edition)
    type:......... book, Tamil

[Summary of an essay in Sanskrit]

Nearly twenty-five years ago, SriCharaNargaL was camping in the shrI MaTham, SatAra, for eleven months.

At that time, my father shrI KAshinAtha shAstrigaL, prayed to him of his wish to listen to the prasthAnatraya bhAShyam from MahA PeriyavAL's tirumukham--sacred face/mouth. (The ten UpaniShads, BrahmasUtra and Bhagavad GItA are together known as the prasthAnatrayam.)

PeriyavA told him, "agre pashyAmaH (will see in future)".

When two months had gone by, he called us himself, asked us to bring the bhAShya--commentary, books, and started his elucidatation of them. One shrI RAjagopa-aiyar would chant only the first line from each UpaniShad. MahA SvAmigaL would then talk about it in vistAra--elaborately, like the sluices of a dam opened, about all the topics mentioned in that UpaniShad, citing from various texts of the bhAShyakAras. This lecture would take place every day for seven hours; this being so, it is not necessary to mention how much kAruNyam--compassion, MahA SvAmigaL had towards us.

The long event of lecturers went on in succession for twelve days and came to completion.

PeriyavA alone gave the lecture every day for seven hours! It is matter of surprise that not only did he show any shrama--fatigue/exertion, but he talked every day with great enthusiasm.

For this pErupakAram--great favour, of PeriyavA, it wouldn't be enough even if we were to take howevermuch janmas--births and serve him.

A college professor used to come every day for darshan. But he never sought to talk with or introduce himself to PeriyavAL. Perhaps the darshan itself gave him limitless santoSham--happiness/joy!

After four-five months, one day, looking at him, PeriyavA asked, "How come you came here now?"

A great surprise for the professor. "I am coming here daily?"

PeriyavA asked him the same question again. The professor returned home in a state of understanding nothing of the question. As he entered his house, a letter that was lying on the floor came in his sight. He took it and read. 'Very urgent. Forthwith you go to such and such college in such and such place and start your work there.'

How was the message of the letter known to PeriyavAL beforehand?

Whatever... The professor got ready for the relocation with his trunk and bed.

Four girl children for us in succession. But then we need a putra--son to save us from the put-naraka? The deities in temples did not open their mouth in reply to us. So I sought, along with my dharmapatni--wife, the Deivam that listens with its tiruchchevi--sacred ears, and replies with its tirumukham--sacred face.

He listened to our prayers for putrabhAgyam. When the darshan was over and he gave us leave, he gave a bilva-fruit as prasAdam.

Isn't the bilva-fruit one that belongs to Shiva?

In due course of time, a Shiva-pazham--Shiva's gift of fruit, arose in our home. Getting PeriyavaAL's permission, we named him as the very "Chandrashekara".

In the place where SriCharaNargaL was staying, bedbugs had multiplied in large numbers. Where one placed his foot on the floor, the bedbugs were seen. On PeriyavA's sharIram--body, they would stick themselves in patches like the bees from a beehive, at times.

An anbar--devotee brought an insecticide to kill the bugs. PeriyavAL had come to know of this. He called the anbar.

"We eat food for our own sharIra-poShaNam--nourishment of body. Food for the bedbugs is the blood of the manuShya sharIram. The bedbugs themselves take their food! Without their food, how could they live? Right?

"There should be no jIva-hiMsa--injury to living beings. If we are in priyam--attached to one who does some upakAram--favour to us, it would not be a surprise; our elders would say that one who is in priyam even towards a person who does apakAram--wrong, to him is the virtuous man..."

After listening to this talk, would that Anbar have the heart to sprinkle the insecticide in PeriyavA's room?

But this is not a surprise. Within a day or two of this conversation taking place, the bedbugs themselves vanished--that is a wonder!

Perhaps the bedbugs had understood PeriyavA's bAShA--speech/language, or bhAvam--mental frame?

--viShNu purANam

Darshana mahimaigaL
    author:....... R.Chidambaresan, Chennai-600040
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 98-116

pages 98-102
    A Tirupati in GauhAti

By shrI PeriyavAL's anugraha visheSham, a BAlAji Mandir and a superior eye hospital have been established in GauhAti.

Efforts to secure the land for this work were taken up in 1991. When the late shrI Hiteswar Saikia who was the Chief Minister of Assam (1991-96), had darshan of shrI PeriyavAL at KAnchipuram in the year 1992, he received with humility from the sage's sacred hands, a rudrAkSha mAlA (that became his rakSha to save him from the ULFA terrorism that prevailed in Assam then), and a crown of flowers. In addition, giving him in pratyekam--specifically for each, a plateful of kalkaNDu--suger lumps, the sage asked him to distribute it with his own hand among his Black Cat security guards who travelled with him. After shri Saikia got back to Assam, he arranged for a good piece of land that was of 50 bighA (18 acre) vistIrNa--area, and was flat and even (in GauhAti, hilly and uneven lands are more), to be donated to shrI PeriyavAL through the Government. In additional, he extended a financial assistance of Rs.10 lakhs from the state exchequer for constructing the temple. This dharma served as the basis for the establishment of the PUrva Tirupati BAlAji Mandir, built according to the South Indian shilpa shAstra--temple architecture. This Mandir now helps the people of this pradeshaM--region, to have darshan of BAlAji in GauhAti itself, thus changing the earlier position of their having to travel a long way to Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh to have the darshan.

shrImant ShankaradevA NetrAlaya Hospital

An Charitable Trust called 'Shri Kanchi Shankara Health and Educational Foundation', was established in Calcutta on the 3rd of January 1994 (that is, 5 days before shrI PeriyavA attained siddhi), with the sahAyam--assistance, of Dr S.S.Badrinath, founder and Chairman (Emeritus) of Shankar Netralaya, Chennai, and by financial donations received from the Tea Estate Companies functioning in the North-Eastern and North India, and from some individual dhanikas--wealthy people.

The very day this Trust was started, a total donation of Rs.30 lakhs got collected. Later in the same shatAbdi anniversary (11.11.1994), when a three-storeyed building at GauhAti, in a place called Beltola (the term 'bilvasthala' became Beltola in their language) was sought to be taken on lease, and when the lease document was about to be written, the building owner gave his building as a free gift to the hospital. I consider this as one among the adbhuta--wonders, shrI PeriyavAL performed, and performing even now. It wouldn't be an overstatement that the hospital very soon grew in a big way, was due to shrI PeriyavAL's anugraha visheSham.

That the kAraNabhUta--cause/reason, for an eye hospital established by a ShankarAchArya SvAmigaL in the lineage of Adi Shankara, instead of functioning under the name 'Shankara Medical Centre', carrying the name of shrImant ShankaradevA, a shrI KRShNa bhakta who lived in Assam in the 15th century, was shrI PeriyavAL himself, and this fact in fairness may not be known to many people.

Admitting even this ELiyEn--simple man, to his grace

On the western bank of the SarvatIrtham located adjacent to the KAshi VishvanAthar Kovil in KAnchi, once shrI PeriyavargaL was performing a puja. A puja in great vistIrNam--elaboration, keeping the Shiva PanchAyatana in the form of sandalpaste balls on a lotus leaf. Some firty, sixty of us around, witnessing it. This puja was held in a thaTTi panDal--thatched shed.

My wife and I, sitting among the bhakta crowd, were chanting the 'LalitA SahasranAmam', in a tone that was madhyama--medium. After the puja was over, waiting with limitless compassion that no hindrance should come to our pArAyaNam until it was finished, shrI PeriyavargaL, did the dhUpa-dIpa-naivedyam, and then waved the Arati.

This incident took place in a way that gave us great santoSham--happiness. Sometime later this event happened, we received the ShrIVidyA Upadesha in order.

RAmanAma mahimA

When shrI PeriyavargaL was in Tenambakkam, my wife and I had gone there. At that time, I was engaged in the kaingariyam--service, of collecting the 'RAmanAma list' written by devotees and sent through an organization called 'ICF KAmakOTi SevA Samiti', and sending them to an Anbar--devotee, who was to build a maNDapam--pavilion, in JamshedpUr, that was to be named "RAmakoTi".

shrI PeriyavargaL asked me, "How many names did you send?" I told him. Forthwith, shrI PeriyavargaL went inside a room and came out carrying a large carton (containing the notebooks of hand-written RAmanAmas, would weigh around 10-12 kilogram). Calling us, he said, "Have this for you". When shrIKaNTan tried to get that burden from him and pass it to us, PeriyavArgaL himself gave it to us directly. We both received it together.

I consider this as shrI PeriyavargaL giving upadesham of RAmanAma to us. Keeping that carton in our puja room, I am preserving it. After some months of his happening, when I did prastAvana--broach, of this sambhavam--event, to shrI PudupPeriyavargaL, forthwith giving a portrait of 'SItA-LakShmaNa-Hanumat sameta shrI RAmachandra MUrti' (this portrait was drawn with RAmanAmas), he gave us his anugraham with the words, "Keep this too."

(to continue...)

--viShNu purANam

pages 103-107
    'As desired by me...'

In January 1976, when my eldest daughter AkhilANDeshvari's marriage was betrothed, and I sought anugraham of shrI PeriyavAL at Kalavai, he said, "You have your kumArI's marriage conducted in KAmAkShi temple itself. In KAmAkShi sannidhi, mAngalya dhAraNam, japam and such pUrvAngas; saMtarpaNa--meals to brahmins, in the nearby KollA Chatram; for the saMbandhus'--kinsmen's stay, the RAjavIdhi Chatram, and shrIMaTham; thus there are four places. 'beShAga naDaththu--very well conduct it! (his own words)' Get permission from PuDupperiyavAL telling him that I desired it."

(Although shrI MahASvAmigaL was PuDupperiyavAL's guru, since in those periods of time shrI PuDupperiyavAL himself was the PIThAdhipati, in consideration of yuktam--propriety, in his asking me to get permission from shrI PuDupperiyavAL, and in his saying he "desired it", I could see his simplicity and magnanimity.)

Knowing that when some of my relatives who attended the marriage went to Kalavai and had darshan of PeriyavAL, he inquired them about the marriage in vistAram--detail, I wondered at the compassion and love he had for me.

In ShAhAbAd

Approaching shrI PuDupperiyavargaL who was camping in TiruvallikkENi--Triplicane, in 1983, when I sought his permission to conduct the marraige of my second daughter too in KAmAkShi temple, he asked me, "enna thEthi--what date?". I told him that among the two dates May 9 and May 29, I had uddesham--intention, to conduct it on May 9. For that shrI PuDupperiyavargaL said, "If it is May 9, you can have it conducted" and permitted me. (Only many days later I came to know that May 29 was the day fixed for shrI BAlaperiyavargaL to have his Ashrama svIkAram--adoption to sannyAsa Ashram.)

To get anugraham from shrI PeriyavargaL, I went to ShAhAbAd (In the Chennai-Bombay rail route it comes after crossing the VADi station). After I got down at the railway station, I came to know that shrI PeriyavargaL was staying in a place around 7 km. from there. Boarding a bus I went to the place where shrI PeriyavargaL was staying.

I spotted after walking a small distance, a small shed in the open ground, plus a hut and a well. Some five or six people were standing there. They told me it was there that shrI PeriyavargaL was staying. Intense sunshine of the 2 o' clock afternoon sun. When I went there, shrI PeriyavargaL was in shayanam--sleeping. His rickshaw cart nearby. A chippanti--staff member named Subbaiah near it. shrI PeriyavargaL was lying down on his stomach. It was known that he had come there only a few minutes before. It was also known to me that he was sleeping in that posture to get relief from the tiredness of his body. Standing nearby, I was looking at the rekha--lines, of PeriyavAL's soles.

After sometime passed, shrI PeriyavargaL woke up and looked at his two kaiththala--(Tamil)palms. He informed them in this way of his intention to read. A kaingaryapara--assistant, named SAmaveda ChandramauLi, gave him a small book. It was 'HanumAn chAlIsA'. Turning over its pages, he was reading it until daylight declined. In the meantime, a crowd assembled from the areas of grain fields nearby. Some people came in tractors too.

With help from the nearby people, BAlu had the varappu--(Tamil)ridges of the field adjacent to the well deepened, drew water from the well and filled it and thus faciliated for shrI PeriyavargaL to have his snAnam--bath.

As shrI PeriyavargaL had his snAnam and finished his anuShTAnam, it began to get increasingly dark. shrI PeriyavargaL asked the village people to get back to their homes, saying that no one needed to stay there. Sitting in the cart in the shed during night, he took an apple and some milk. I made vijnApanA--respectful communication, to him of the proposed marriage of my putrI and sought his anugraham.

shrI PeriyavargaL spent that night in the cart itself. Since the climate was very chill, we all slept in the hut.

It would have been four o'clock in the early morning, when I woke up. I saw shrI PeriyavargaL rise and go to the koTTakai--toilet. Forthwith, cleaning my teeth, and wearing vibhUti, I went near where shrI PeriyavargaL had gone, carrying a lantern. I introduced myself to him.

After shrI PeriyavargaL came out from the koTTakai, in the light of the lantern kept in the shed, an assistant named ChandramauLi read out that day's panchAngam. As he wrongly mentioned the day, shrI PeriyavargaL told him "Read again". When he read it again wrongly, the sage asked him to read it once more. Thus after many times of repetition, the man came to understand his error. As the man corrected himself and started reading it correctly, shrI PeriyavargaL told him, "I saw you read it with an error; only now you read it correctly."

I understood the nuTpam--(Tamil)subtlety of the sage, in giving him an avakAsham--opportunity, to correct his error himself. As it had dawned in the meantime, I stood seeking shrI PeriyavargaL's permission for me to return to my place. He asked me, "Only you built the GangAmAtA temple in HaridvAr?" I replied, "Only OmkArnAth GosvAmi built the temple; I only took a photograph of it and brought."

(OmkArnAth GosvAmi belonged to a family that arrived from RAvalpiNDi at the time of the Nation's paritition and took residence in India. He had told me about Pandit Madammohan MALaviyA, when the latter had gone to RAvalpiNDi, dining in their house, and at that time as a boy this man doing the service of waving a hand fan to the Pandit when the latter was eating. During the year 1975 when shrI PuDupperiyavargaL sent me on a tour, his parichayam--acquaintance, came up for me in HaridvAr.)

shrI PeriyavargaL ordered me, "You toured many places, PuDupperiyavA sending you on that tour. Tell these people about it in vistAram--detail." Limitless joy for me, and my body had the thrill of it (as if caressed with a blade of grass). I told them briefly of my yAtra.

Then shrI PeriyavargaL ordered the Director of the nearby Cement Company, who was a white man, to drop me in the railway station in his car.

(to continue...)

--viShNu purANam

pages 108-116 (concluding part)
    'Arrange for the bhikShAvandanam'

When shrI PeriyavargaL was in Orikkai, my family and I had darshan of him. Then shrI PeriyavA told a nearby assistant Kumaresan something. Forthwith, calling me, Kumaresan said, "shrI PeriyavA says that all the Chozhiyas want to do bhikShAvandanam." I said I would try to arrange it. shrI PeriyavargaL also wanted the bhikShAvandanam of the Chozhia class people to be held continuously on the occasion of every ChAturmAsya.

A week later, for this purpose, we convened a meeting in the presence of shrI PeriyavA. In this assembly were present Chittur Gopalakrishna Iyer, myself, Sundaram Iyer, his brother, Kumaresan, and a few others. shrI PeriyavA suggested the name, 'Chozhadesiya UrdhvashikhA brAhmaNAL bhikSha'. "Among you people is there in prasiddha--well known, KriShNaPremi. Making him a patron, establish a Trust and every year the people of your class do the bhikSha", he said. Accordingly, establishing a Trust, we are performing the bhikShAvandanam every year. Since this bhkiShavandanam is done in anusaraNam of--following, PeriyavA's Ajna--orders, all of us are doing it with bhakti-shraddha--sincerity of fatih.

In the 'GururatnamAlA', a grantham--book about AchAryALs, full details of the AchAryALs of shrI KAmakoTi PITham are given. In this book, when narrating about several PIThAdhipatis, the phrase that they belonged to the 'drAviDa brAhmaNa' class is seen. That is, several AchAryas who adorned this PITham belonged to the class of Dravidian brahmins. A doubt that only UrdhvashikhA brAhmaNas are the Dravidian brahmins, arises here. And a deep thought that may be because of that shrI PeriyavA asked for arranging the bhikSha of the Chozhiyas.*

About Appar in (a)Hagari

In the place called Hagari (actually Aka-hari--pApanAshini; aka means pApam--sin and hari is to destroy it), on the banks of the river, in the campus of a temple that was newly being constructed, shrI PeriyavA was staying for sometime.

At that time, shrI PeriyavA asked his adhyanta shiShya--close disciple, Dunlop KRShNan to read out DevAram and was listening to it. The 'mUvar DevAram'--DevAram of the three saints, is voluminous, would take a few days to be read out. Staying there, Dunlop KRShNan was reading it out to shrI PeriyavA.

Appar (SvAmigaL) attained mukti on the day of the Sadaya nakShatra in the month of Chittirai (Chaitra). The place he attained mukti is TiruppugalUr.

shrI PeriyavA spoke about this: "You know it? For Appar, mukti was in TiruppugalUr. Appar entered the garbhagraha--sanctum sanctorum. Then he did not return. This everyone knows. But then there is one thing that is not known. SvAmi (Shiva) came as singam--lion, and avarai appaDiyE kaDiththu sApTuTTAr--ate him up by gnawing (underlined is the word PeriyavA used). NAvukkarasar said, 'appanE--Father, it is painful to me'. SvAmi said, 'appanE, you taste sweet to me.' (It is known that behind the Shivalingam in the garbhagraham there was a bas relief that showed this, and that this was removed in the recent times). In the TiruppugalUr patikam too Appar addresses SvAmi as 'singamE--O Lion'. These two are the AdhAra--support for this happening."

(After I returned home, I checked Appar's TiruppugalUr DevAram--Third TirumuRai, 99th Patikam--TiruppugalUr ThiruththANDagam--the second pAsuram in the patikam that starts with "eNNukOn').**

அங்கமே பூண்டாய், அனலாடினாய், ஆதிரையாய், ஆனிழலாய், ஆனேறூர்ந்தாய்,
    பங்கமொன்றில்லாத படர் சடையினாய் பாம்பொடு திங்கள் பகைதீர்த்தாண்டாய்,
    சங்கையொன்றின்றியே தேவர் வேண்டச் சமுத்தினஞ்சுண்டு சாவா மூவாச்,
    சிங்கமே உன்னடிக்கே போதுகின்றேன் பூம்புகலூர் மேவிய புண்ணியனே.

a~ggamE pUNDAy, analADinAy, AdiraiyAy, AnizhalAy, AnERUr~ndAy,
    pa~ggamonRillAda paDar chaDaiyinAy pAmpoDu ti~ggaL pakaitIrttANDAy,
    cha~ggaiyonRinRiyE dEvar vENDach chamutthina~jchuNDu chAvA mUvAch,
    chi~ggamE unnaDikkE pOdukinREn pUmpugalUr mEviya puNNiyanE.

I have not heard about this matter or read it anywhere. Apart from the two above references, only shrI PeriyayA's vAk--word, is the third AdhAram--support.

When the Sambandhar DevAram was read, it came to be known that he belonged to the KauNDinya gotra. Looking at me shrI PeriyavA asked, "What gotra yours?" I said, "KAshyapa gotra."

I contempted it well as to why he should have asked me this question at that time. I belong to a family of the UrdhvashikhA--frontal tuft class. The brahmin subcaste known as ChozhiyAL today.

I got the anumAnam--inference, if shrI JnAnaSambandha MUrti svAmigaL too was of the Chozhiya brAhmaNa class.

About Max Muller at MahAgaon

A village named MahAgaon is in KarnATaka. One should go in a bus from Gulbarga (to reach it).

When shrI PeriyavargaL was there, I went to the place and had darshan of him. 1982 or 1983 is my memory.

When I went there, shrI PeriyavargaL was talking about shrI VidyAraNya:

"shrI VidyAraNya has done bhAShyam--commentary, for all the four Vedas. A German called Max Muller has also done bhAshyam. Further, several Western scholars have written about the Vedas in their books. Vedas is one of shabda-pradhAna--chiefly voice-activated; not artha-pradhAna--meaning-activated. There is no nyAyam--reason, for this to be known to the Western philosophers. Still, those people, showing shraddha--sincerity in the subject of reading the Vedas, being inclined to read them and know their contents, and as required for such task, doing vRtti--expansion of their knowledge in our SaMskRta-bhAShA-jnAnam and the culture of our desham--country, have written their books. There are many of these books. Depending on the cultural background of each, there would be differences in their way of understanding the Vedas and the ways and means they wrote in their books about their understanding.

"Since there are lots of (vital) differences between shrI VidyAraNya BhAShyam and the contents of the topics these occidental philosophers wrote, if the task of bringing out the Gloss in the Vedas from shrI VidyAraNya BhASha is done, doing the related research with our scholars, and giving them the necessary dravya--financial assistance, it would be very useful for our people. Two or three vidvAns--pandits must be assigned specifically for this task."

Accordingly, he was discussing it with shrI AnnAdurai AyyangAr, who was the Executive Trustee of the Veda RakShaNa Nidhi Trust, shrI C.R.SvAminAthan was the then Educational Secretary in the Central Government, and some others. (To know the exact meaning of the word 'Gloss' that PeriyavA used fluently, we people who had received the English education had to consult a dictionary). shrI PeriyavargaL asked C.R.SvAminAthan specifically, "Is there any scope for financial assistance from the Central Government's Education Department for such type of research?"

To that shrI SvAminAthan said, "There is. We are doing such financial assistance to the Benaras Hindu University, VArANasi."

It is known that as a result of this vivAdam--discussion, the VidyAraNya Trust must have been established.

VedaPATha Nidhi Trust

The material given here was not told me by shrI AnnAdurai AyyangAr:

When Periyavar was staying in MahAgaon, a few of his bhaktas--devotees approached him and sought his permission saying, "It is 75 years since shrI PeriyavA came to the PITham. With a view to celebrate it, we people would like to arrange for a Platinum Jubilee."

To that shrI PeriyavA said, "Oho! 75 years have passed since I came to the PITham? I was a small boy when I came to the PITham. At that time the Veda VidvAns in KumbakONam did poShaka of--nourish me. Even at that time they would have been of 70,75 years of age. All of them would have now gone to the paralokam--other world. Still, whoever has sought Ashraya--refuge of the VedaMAtA, should not stand before any other person folding their hands. In that respect, we are all duty bound to do upakAram--assistance, to the Veda vidvAns who have crossed 75 years of age. Of such Veda vidvAns, some might be in extreme shrama-dashA--difficult condition of life, in their old age. Maybe their sons and daughters are not in a position to look after them. Maybe their hand, leg or eye is not in svAdhInam--its natural power. In a condition of no upAdhyAya-vRtti--living by teaching, there would be shrama--difficulty even for the daily meal. For such people (who have crossed 75 years of age), if they are given at least 75 rupees per month, that itself would be the Platinum Jubilee for me."

Then he asked me, "On this subject, will your start a Trust, in contact with many people?"

"Whatever shrI PeriyavA's abhiprAyam--opinion, it can be done accordingly."

"Do it accordingly. Do you know Palkiwala of Bombay?

"Yes, I know."

"Make him the Managing Trustee. Two more people, Harish Mahindra and Mehta are there. Also make them Trustees. Make T.S.Santhanam in TVS, Madras also, a Trustee. You be the Secretary. Make immediate arrangements to establish this Trust. If money is taken from the Veda RakShaNa Nidhi (Trust) for this purpose, it would be dharma-virodha--in opposition to dharma. There should be no sambandham--connection, between this Trust and that. This is a kaingaryam--service, we do for the VidvAns who are of advanced age and in a state of not being able to do anything, after dedicating their entire lifetime to the study of Vedas and teaching it to others. This is not dole. They must be approached with bhaya-bhakti and the money given to them in vinayam--humility."

He immediately gave me leave to return to my routine.

After I had left the place and gone some distance, he sent word for me again. "If they are given 75 rupees it would only help them eat annam--rice. If 25 rupees is added and they are given 100 rupees, it would help them to pour some buttermilk over the annam and eat it", he said. What a compassion!

This is the story of the birth of the VedaPATha Nidhi Trust.

Note:
    * MahAsvAmigaL explains in his exposition 'shrI Shankara Charitam' that except the subcaste VaDama among the brahmins, all other classes originally resided in the Dravida Desham.

** Can someone post the meaning of this Appar-Devara verse?

--viShNu purANam

oTTiya pazhamum oTTAdha pazhamum: The solid and hollow fruits
    author:....... Smt.LalithA RAman, Sainikpuri
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 120-122

Many days have gone by since this happened. Still it reamins unfading green in my heart and guides me until today.

My marriage was held in the year 1958. My hunsband was serving as a Captain in the Army. Since even after some years there was no putra bhAgyam--fortune of a child, for me, my mother took me to have darshan of shrI KAnchi KAmakoTi PIThAdhipati shrI Chandrashekara Sarasvati MahA SvAmigaL.

It was an evening time. shrI KAnchi MahA SvAmigaL was doing japam--litany sitting in his mena--palanquin. Some time passed by, and then Periyavar looked at as with limitless compassion. My mother did vijnApanam--addressed, my grievance to shrI Periya Periyavar. Taking an orange fruit from a plate nearby, MahA PeriyavA kept meditating, closing his two netras--eyes that were in blossom like lotus flowers, and rolling that fruit over those two eyes.

After sometime, he blossomed his eyes, gave that fruit to me and said, "This you take."

With great happiness I went home and took that fruit.

Years rolled by. My husband was serving as a Major in charge of guarding the borders. When he came on leave, we both went to shrI KAnchi MaTham to have darshan of shrI MahA SvAmigaL.

Evening time. Coming out of his room, that deity of compassion welcomed us with vAtsalyam--paternal love, looked at me with limitless abhimAnam--affection, and saying, "vAmmA kuzhandhE--Come, child! Come inside!", he took us inside.

Looking at my husband, "You are serving in the Army, right?", he asked, and my husband replied, "Yes, I am in Siliguri." Periyavar asked him, "Can you get oranges there? Will you send me a basket of them?" and this man said, "sari--okay."

shrI KAnchi MahA Periyavar looked at me and said, "There are two kinds in the orange fruit. You know it?" "I don't know", I said.

Periyavar said: "Two kinds are there in the orange fruit. One will be solid, stuck to its skin. And the other (as if keeping such a fruit in his hand, taking it to his ears and shaking his hand) will do kuDukuDu--rattle like this, without sticking to the skin. More than the fruit that sticks solid to its skin, only this fruit will be tastier and sweeter. Always keep this in mind."

Asking me to take a fruit in the beginning, and then many years later, saying "Only the hollow fruit is tastier" he made me realize a great principle of life. He taught me to remain unattached like the hollow fruit.

Saying, "vA ammA kuzhandhE", he made me his child. After myself becoming his child, where is the need of a child for me?

--viShNu purANam

Experiences of ViShNupuram BrahmashrI G.VisvanAtha ShAstrigaL
    author:....... His daughter Smt.MohanA PanchApakeshan
    source:....... Maha PeriyavaL - Darisana AnubhavangaL vol.2, pages 143-151

Compassion towards ThAtthA--Grandpa

When PeriyavAL was camping in Kollankode, he had convened a vidvat sadas--assembly of scholars, there. Since the shrImukham--invitation, came to our ThAtthA--Grandpa also, he had gone there.

Whatever else is not available for my ThAtthA in the morning, a cup of coffee was a must! But in ShrIMaTham there was no coffee supply. Strict niyama--regulations!

When ThAtthA was yearning for a cup of coffee, a man came and took him outside the MaTham and bought him a cup of coffee. Only then ThAtthA felt his life-force returning to his body!

ThAtthA went and sat in the Sadas. In a short while PeriyavAL came there. After doing namaskAram--prostration, to the sage, ThAtthA went near him. Looking at ThAtthA, PeriyavAL asked, "Had your coffee?"

What reply to give? ThAtthA was confused. With the remorse that no one present there took a cup of coffee except him, he dodged, "vandhu--that is, EthO--somehow, he gave me..."

"Only I asked him to give you", as PeriyavAL said, ThAtthA went melting in the heart!

PeriyavAL was very strict that the people in ShrIMaTham should not take coffee. Still, some sippantis--staff members, had been drinking coffee. Since it would be difficult for them not to have a cup of coffee, for the Pandits who came to have darshan in small villages, with compassion, PeriyavA would arrange for supply of coffee to them.

In those days, if it was PeriyavAL yAtrA--tour, a large rAja-parivAram--royal entourage, would go with him. Three elephants, five horses, twenty-two closed carts, fifteen cows, two riding horses (of which one was black and the other panchakalyANi--horse whose feet and face are white), two tonga horses, and in front of the savAri--ride, the tiruchchinnam--trumpet, will move making a loud noise. uLpArA--inner circle guards, five men and veLipArA--outer circle guards, five men. Apart from them, several people as Veda Pandits, aNukkat-thoNdarkaL--personal attendants, a manager, the kazAnA--treasurer, notables, and mELa-thALam--drum and long pipe.

If it is PeriyavAL vijayam--tour, the entire town will be allolakallola--in clamour. Now, that wonderful sights are to be seen only through the mind's eye.

In 1940, PeriyavAL did vijayam to ViShNupuram, finishing his KAshi yAtrA. When PeriyavAL was going on savAri, as a notable approached him and uttered as SAmi ShAstrigaL, the name of the guru who taught PeriyavAl, PeriyavAL in great anguish kept asking him again and again: "enna sonnE--what did you say? enna sonnE--what did you say?"

That bhakta--devotee, was restless thinking: 'What apachAram--improper conduct, did I display? PeriyavAL is writhing in such pain?'

PeriyavAL told him, "What do you know about him? Even I have not uttered his name; only as ViShNupuram ShAstrigaL I would refer to him." Such respect for his guru!

Isn't this a kindly advice not just to the devotee, but to us also?

In order to take classes for shrI PeriyavAL, ThAtthA was given jAkai--residence, in the house adjacent to ShrIMaTham in KumbakONam. My father too would go frequently and stay there.

On the open terrace of the MaTham, there were pipes to drain the rainwater. When it rained, PeriyavAL (in his boyhood) would go to the open terrace along with my father. And they both would plug the pipelines and play in the water that stagnated there! If it rained when the sun was shining, PeriyavAl would get wet in the rain, shout, "GangA snAnam... GangA snAnam!", dance and feel happy!

"I want to perform panchAyatana pUja", my father prayed to him in his ViShNupuram camp. Since the pUjA mUrtas--images, such as SAlagramam, BANam, Sphatikam were not available then, the anugraham--favour to send them after reaching KumbakONam was given.

When KumbakONam was reached, the pUja mUrtas were given to a sippanti with orders to deliver them to ViShNupuram.

"In whose house to deliver?"

"Deliver it to the gRuham--house, where I am present!"

The sippanti had climbed up and down the steps of each house in the ViShNupura AgrahAram, but could not apprehend (the location of the house). As he came to our house and peeped in, he sat on the thiNNai--raised portico, with fullness of heart.

My father who came out asked him, "enna samAchAram--what news?"

"PeriyavAL asked this pUja (box) to be delivered to you."

"To me?"

"Yes, without specifying the house, he asked me to deliver it at the house where he was present. I saw PeriyavAL's portrait, plainly visible before the eyes, in the sloped front courtyard. Since he is present here, I understood that he wanted me to deliver it to this house. Here, the pUjA box."

We never had any doubt that PeriyavAL has always been residing in our house.

A dhanavat--wealthy man, had great bhakti--devotion, in PeriyavAL. He came to IlayAttankuDi for darshan. He brought two wooden boxes full of apples and placed them before PeriyavAL. PeriyavAL too had a glance at the boxes and then went inside.

As the Dhanvata was saying to the shiShyas--disciples, there, "I have bought these apples for PeriyavA. You peruchchALis--bandicoots of the MaTham don't devour and empty them", PeriyavAL had arrived, receiving the words in his ears. But he did not give a hint that he heard those words.

Some Nari kurava--gipsy, families had pitched a tent in the place and were staying at that time.

On the evening the apple boxes came, PeriyavAL sent word for the boys of the Nari kurava families and gave each one of them an apple, and that in front of the Dhanvata!

Dhanvata's face showed his distress.

"I too am a peruchchALi--bandicoot, in the MaTham", said PeriyavAL.

The Dhanvata was stunned as he realized his mistake. Then he sought pardon.

The same Dhanvata, on another occasion, bought a plenty of muNDus (dhotis) from KeraLA and submitted them.

"Why so many?"

"For the sippantis of ShrIMaTham."

From them, PeriyavAL asked six dhotis to be drenched in kAShAyam--saffron dye.

The Dhanvata could not understand the reason.

"Two for Anjaneya (an ascetic who stayed in the MaTham then)! Two for Pudu PeriyavAL, and two for me! We too are the sippantis of the MaTham!"

As PeriyavaL uttered these words, the Dhanvata went mellowing and happy in the heart, realizing the sage's simplicity, bounds of which could not be discovered.

PeriyavAL had great interest in ShrImad BhAgavatam. Once, RAmamUrti Aiyar reading BhAgavatam, PeriyavAL was doing shravaNam--listening, of it.

At that time, NeeDAmangalam shrI KRShNamUrti ShAstrigaL who was prabala--famous, for his BhAgavata pravachanam--exposition, came there and informed the sage that he has returned after doing BhAgavata upanyAsam in Delhi.

"The VidvAns came and listened to it?"

"They came."

"What did they say?"

"One VidvAn said, 'If the rAsa-panchAtyAyI was not there in it, ShrImad BhAgavatam would be a great grantham--book'".

Smiling slightly, PeriyavAL said, "Only after doing paTana-shravaNa-mananam--reading, listening and reflection, of the rAsa-panchAtyAyI, I decided that saMniyAsam was siddha--accomplised, for me!"

Doesn't this look like a slight reproof to those who do pravachanam just by prattling without understanding the principles?

PeriyavAL had done vijayam--toured, to ViShNupuram, some seven or eight times. He had stayed there during important occasions such as Shankara Jayanti and NavarAtri.

On the entrance point to our village, in the streets and in road junctions, we would set up ornamental arches and welcome him. Select GItA shlokas would be written in large letters on those arches.

As PeriyavAL came in his mEnA--palanquin, he could not have a glance at what was written in the thaTTis--plaited banners. After the puja was over at night, he took a petromax gas light with him and walked down reading the verses one by one. A pricking sensation in our hearts, who selected the GItA shlokas. If he would appreciate them, or chide us?...

Finally he said, "All very good! You people have mentioned as to how I should be."

It was a fact that as we heard this, we were restless at heart. But then we understood that it was not an accusation that was done AropaNam--imposed, on us. We understood the truth that it was only a svaya-vimarshanam--self-criticism, done for vEDikkai--fun. The magnanimity to do self-investigation!

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information