Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Judaism - where does it come from?

Re: Judaism - where does it come from?

Jaruth is mentioned about half a dozen times. In one place Vashishata even prays for his destruction. The story of his birth is in an addendum to Sama Veda. More can be found in the PARSI scriptures. Please do not confuse Parsis with the westren Zoroshterians or Mithraists.

Mithra, btw, is Mitra of RV. Friend. Also known as Surya, the Sun. Parsis are worshippers of Fire and Sun, believe it or not, they too call them Agni and Mitra, not MitHra.

Quote Originally Posted by rcscwc View Post
    Jaruth is mentioned about half a dozen times. In one place Vashishata even prays for his destruction. The story of his birth is in an addendum to Sama Veda. More can be found in the PARSI scriptures. Please do not confuse Parsis with the westren Zoroshterians or Mithraists.

Mithra, btw, is Mitra of RV. Friend. Also known as Surya, the Sun. Parsis are worshippers of Fire and Sun, believe it or not, they too call them Agni and Mitra, not MitHra.
    Hello,

But I see that Zarasthustra sang Vahishto Ishti Gatha (Best Beloved). RC there may be something wrong in all your theories. It's peculiar that Zarasthustra who you say is Jaruth and who was killed by Vashista sang for beloved Vashista.

Burn up all malice with those flames, O Agni, wherewith of old thou burntest up Jarutha, [Rig Veda 7.1.7]; "O Agni, Vasistha kindles you - destroy the malignant Jarutha. ---- [Rig Veda 7.9.6]; and Agni rejoiced the car of him who praised him, and from the waters burnt away jarutha.

Is burning away jarutha from waters not chitta suddhi? .

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 07 August 2009 at 09:08 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Friends will find good mental stimulation from various theories.

http://indiaculture.net/talk/message...tml?1239878966
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

"Jarutha" means "making old".

"Zarathustra" possibly stems from "zarant" and "ustra", "zarant" possibly meaning "old" and "ustra" meaning "camel".

Bumping this gem of a thread.

Guys, I think case studies like this are extremely important so people know the origins of each religion, what came from what, so points of philosophical validity and tradition can be made with more maturity (so to say) and property.

I think it's pretty astounding that people follow religions without even having the interest to research its origin and development. That's not religious inclination, that's ad antiquitatem.

The informations presented here also put everything into perspective and in my case it makes me wonder: Why follow anything other than Sanatana Dharma? It makes no sense.

Om Tat Sat

Regarding the origins of Judaism, I can't comment too much, as I'm not that familiar with it. However, I will note that most recent scholarship that I've seen suggests that Judaism was originally Henotheist, and therefore accepted the idea that there were other gods besides their own Yahweh, but that they did not worship them. I seem to remember some scholar stating that Yahweh was originally a "war god," which is certainly reasonable, considering the fact that the Old Testament is full of "his" exhortations like this:

"As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you." (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

Now, in regards to Mithras, mentioned earlier as being the Vedic Mitra...Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. actually wrote a couple essays on the modern theories that most of Christianity is "borrowed" from the Roman Cult of Mithras. Here's a link to one of them: "A Study of Mithraism," by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mithras worship was far more popular in ancient Rome than Christianity, and had become the majority religion in the Empire...until Christianity was FORCED upon the people. Many of the modern Christian rituals and holidays were directly copied from Mithraism, as it was much easier to just "adopt"
    the extremely popular aspects of it...than tell the public they could no longer do them.

My favorite example is the "Dies Natalis Solis Invictus," or "Holy Day of the Unconquered Sun." (Mithras was often called by the Romans "Sol Invictus," or "The Unconquered Sun.") It was celebrated each year with a huge festival and gift-giving. When, you ask? On December 25th! Even according to the Christian calendar, their "Jesus" was born nowhere NEAR December. They adopted the Mithraic festival, and just changed the name of it!

Oh, I could go on all day about Mithraism and what-not...

Namaste,

Any mention of the Jews who fled to/lived in Kashmir on this thread ? "The Lost Sheep" Jesus referred to ?

Also, Jesus's association with King Satyavan or some such, and munis in the Himalayan belt betN ages 12 to 32, before his preaching.

"Who are you ?"
    "Isha-putra (Son of Ishwar) , kumAri-garbha (born to [Mary] the kumArikA)"
    - Bhavishya PurAn.

Well, this is slightly off-topic.

Jai Shri KrushNa
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I know there are Jews living in India to this day (the Bnei Manashe tribe, I believe) who emigrated before the time of Jesus. Not sure there's any reference to them in the Bible, though.

Namaste,

I think by now it is pretty much established fact that Judaism (and therefore all the Abrahamic religions) developed out of the ancient Israelite polytheistic religion. The people just gradually chose to worship one deity, Yahweh, out of an entire pantheon of deities as "the one true God". Recently it has also become established that Yahweh had a wife who was worshipped alongside him.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42154769...rofile_oneline

Jai Sri Ram

vedic knowledge slowly crept into the european countries through invaders and inspirationists and bards.
    well who knows, I think they calculated pretty much everything on their own, and their "avatars" were close to the true avatars as well.

but I think white (or whatever colour we used to be) people were still deluded with power as they got a certain stage of enlightenment.

Thread Information