Thread: Significance of Adhi-/Pratyadhidevata

Significance of Adhi-/Pratyadhidevata

What is the significance and meaning of adhidevata and pratyadhidevata for the navagraha deities?

Re: Adhidevata and Pratidevata

No one?

namaste everyone.

I have seen the terms adhi-devata--patron deity, and pratyadhi-devata--tutelary deity, used in the NakShatra homam. I understand that the taittirIya samhitA 4.4.10 of the KRShNa Yajur Veda lists the adhi-devatas of the 27 nakShatras--asterisms. Yajvan might explain the astrological significance of these devatas.

Here is a link that explains how Shiva is the adhi-devata of the gAyatrI mantra:
    http://www.mypurohith.com/Rituals/Namakam2.asp
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté saidevo (et.al)

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    I have seen the terms adhi-devata--patron deity, and pratyadhi-devata--tutelary deity, used in the NakShatra homam. I understand that the taittirIya samhitA 4.4.10 of the KRShNa Yajur Veda lists the adhi-devatas of the 27 nakShatras--asterisms. Yajvan might explain the astrological significance of these devatas.
    Let me contribute the following to the conversation.

When one looks at a chart there are 3 things a jyotiṣa ( initially) looks at : the lagna¹ ( ascendant) , the moon (candra&#185 & the sun ( sūrya&#185

These 3 points ( sanjay rath calls the tripod of life) correspond to the physical, mental & spiritual sphere of existence ( of being humans).
    So for these we have the graha devatā ( the physical), adhidevatā ( mental), and pratyadhi devatā (spiritual) for the plants. Yet ~planets~ is somewhat of a misnomer, but we will leave that for later.

Now we have 3 levels
    • graha devatā or the physical level
    • adhi-devatā - key here is adhi = over and above , so this is the next level above the 1st level or above graha devatā, and is more refined then the physical i.e. the mental, manas.
    • pratyadhi devatā - ( adhi = above) and pratya as pratyi has a few meanings i.e. ' in the presence of' , 'on par' suggesting in the presence of the highest.
    Lets view it now via an example with a few grāhaka¹:

what we 'see'__ graha devatā__ adhi-devatā __pratyadhi devatā
    sun__________ sūrya___________agni__________ śiva
    jupiter________bṛ́haspáti________indra_________ brahma
    saturn________śani____________ prjāpati_______ yama

For each graha there are the 3 levels shown above i.e. graha devatā, adhi-devatā & pratyadhi devatā

praṇām
    words
    • lagna ( some write lagnam) - sounds like lugna; this means adhering or clinging to , attached to , sticking or remaining in , fixed on , intent.
      • It is that point on the horzion that occured during one's time of birth. The point of the ecliptic which at a given time is upon the meridian or at the horizon
    • sūrya in the ved the name is generally distinguished from savitṛ (savitri)
    • candra - the moon; glittering , shining (as gold) , having the brilliancy or hue of light ; camphor ( white); this word originated from ścandrá sounding like chee-yandraya, meaning shining , radiant
    • grāhaka - one who seizes or takes captive ; from grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control.
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 November 2010 at 08:42 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Now we have 3 levels
    • graha devatā or the physical level
    • adhi-devatā - key here is adhi = over and above , so this is the next level above the 1st level or above graha devatā, and is more refined then the physical i.e. the mental, manas.
    • pratyadhi devatā - ( adhi = above) and pratya as pratyi has a few meanings i.e. ' in the presence of' , 'on par' suggesting in the presence of the highest.
    Note the triad above ( trika). This is quite common in jyotish ( jyotiṣ) knowledge. Another three¹ that are of great import to any human-being ( even if they are not aware of it ) are the following:
    • note kāraka is defined that 'who or what does or produces or creates '
    • ātmakāraka - ātma is the Self
    • amātyakārka amātya is 'a companion of a king' ; who is king? ātmakāraka.
    • bhrātṛkāraka bhrātṛ is a brother , often used to designate a near relative or an intimate friend . A guru for spiritual pursuits would be a perfect match here.
    These 3 have the greatest interest in one's advancement. But one may ask, what of mother and father? That is mātṛkāraka and pitṛkāraka. There is no doubt they are concerned with one's well being. Spiritually speaking, they may not be the place to go for spiritual advancement . In cases where father is also the teacher/guru then we hve a differnt dynamic.

So, in any chart one must spend time ( from a spiritual POV) of where the 'king' ātmakāraka , resides. This is a most sensitive and important placement to consider.

praṇām

1. these are part of the 8 cara (chara; moving) kāraka-s we find and look to in jyotiṣ. You will not find this in Western asterology.
    Last edited by yajvan; 21 November 2010 at 09:03 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information