Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Gramophone recording

First Gramophone recording

Thomas Alva Edison invented gramophone and invited Max Muller to record his voice at the inauguration function.

Max Muller recorded the first stanza of Rig Veda `Agnee meele purohitham' in the first recording.

Full details available in the following weblink

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550

All the best

Re: First Gramophone recording

Vannakkam RVR: Welcome to these forums. Interesting bit of trivia there.

Sounds like technology getting off to a good start.. something like praying to Ganesha before beginning projects.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste RVR.

Welcome to HDF! I also read somewhere long back that the Germans, when told that chanting the stotra 1,008 times continuously would make the Goddess appear, played it on a tape record (which stotra I don't remember, perhaps LalitA sahasranAma). On the last round, the tape smouldered and the powder that fell out had arranged itself in the form of the Goddess!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste RVR.

Welcome to HDF! I also read somewhere long back that the Germans, when told that chanting the stotra 1,008 times continuously would make the Goddess appear, played it on a tape record (which stotra I don't remember, perhaps LalitA sahasranAma). On the last round, the tape smouldered and the powder that fell out had arranged itself in the form of the Goddess!
    Germans? When?

Anything related to WWII?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast RVR

Quote Originally Posted by RVR View Post
    Thomas Alva Edison invented gramophone and invited Max Muller to record his voice at the inauguration function.

Max Muller recorded the first stanza of Rig Veda `Agnee meele purohitham' in the first recording.

The web link you offer takes us to another HDF post, Introductions In thre Lounge area. Perhaps you may want to re-check the link and update your post?

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by RVR View Post

All the best
    Yes, I had heard of this on HinduWisdom[dot]info

Absolutely amazing! Not surprising, however, that there is hardly any article that talks about this!

I found the recording here: http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00622/fire/fire.html

Marvelous story, and marvelous to hear. RVR, thank you for the original message; I didn't know this information until you posted it.

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    I found the recording here: http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00622/fire/fire.html

Marvelous story, and marvelous to hear. RVR, thank you for the original message; I didn't know this information until you posted it.

Indraneela
    ===
    "I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
    Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
    Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Om Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    namaste RVR.

Now I'm curious and want to play this stotra 1,008 times...

Would it be advisable?

Om Tat Sat

Hey, PI, come on!

In spite of searching the Net, I can't find out the source of the Germans said to be playing out on tape the DevI stotra or what that stotra is! I think I read it probably during my college days and posted it here with an I-too-know-about-a-similar-thing attitude. There is a chance that the information might not be true at all.

IMO, it would be safe to chant the gAyatrI mantra whatever number of times, with positive results.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Thank you for this site: http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00622/fire/fire.html

That said, the translation offered for this most divine 1st mantra of the ṛg ved is slightly lacking in richness... It is the ṛṣi madhuchandās who begins with the (saṃskṛtā) words saying
    agni, I adore. This 1st hymn (sūkta) of the ved:

agnim īḷe purohitam
    yajasys devam rtvijam |
    hotāram ratna dhātamam ||

It is quite profund. Of all the devatā, he ( the kavi or seer) calls on and adores agni. Why so? Agni is the 1st born in man, He is jatavedas ( He knows all births);
    He (agni) is the reflection of the letter 'a' - of anuttara, of the Supreme. The sūkta says, agni, I adore , placed in front, the deva of yaja...

The brilliance of this hymn can be viewed on 3 levels:
    • Adhyatmika: the spiritual or psychological level
    • Adhiyajika: The ritualistic level: pertains to the performance or works,yaja
    • Adhidaivika: The cosmological level & the laws of nature.
    More if there is interest.

Let noble thoughts come to us from every side - ṛg ved 1-89-1

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information