Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Athiratram: 3000 year old Vedic ritual again (2011, April 4-15, Panjal, Kerala)

Re: Athiratram: 3000 year old Vedic ritual again (2011, April 4-15, Panjal, Kerala)

One might wonder why Panjal is chosen the venue for the ceremonies of Athirathram. Families of Sama Veda experts, who have been performers in the ritual in 1901, 1918 and 1954, belong to this small place. They are mainly the Nellikattu Mana and Muttathukattil Mana.

The remains of the altar of the yagasala in 1954 is still visible as a ritual remain in a wooded area of the region, where a huge banyan tree has grown from its centre.

The tradition was the prerogative of Brahmins. The realization that inorder to preserve the tradition, it had to be revealed to the whole world, allowed general public to witness it.

The world is also looking forward to the key findings of several scientific experiments being carried out at the region, to be revealed by May 15 this year. One such is to analyse the impact of Athirathram on the biological system and to find if it affects germination of plants. As part of it, a comparative study on seeds and plants that germinated before and during the event is done.

Another study measures the degree of cell division in plant roots, whether chanting in Vedic style influences cell division .Yet another study is on the change in atmospheric pressure. Whether yagas purify air is being studied and also the microbial content on soil and in water, gas analysis etc are also subjects of study.

Re: Athiratram: 3000 year old Vedic ritual again (2011, April 4-15, Panjal, Kerala)

Lovely (though not unexpected) Athiratram news updated here and here.

The second article makes me giggle. "It's almost as if Lord Indra is responding or something!" Nooooo, really? :P

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

More news from the site. Very interesting!

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/article2103881.ece

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste Indraneela,

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    More news from the site. Very interesting!

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/article2103881.ece

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Truly amazing! The world could definitely use more of these rituals.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

To have scientists who have faith in the Vedic Truths, is like having the cake and eating it too. Double genius contributes to the world. The good news is, there are many out there - In India there are vedic-scientist foundations so not surprising, but let us hope more and more devotee-scientists in the West contribute and bring Vedic Wisdom its due credit.

Om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

My pranams to the yajman, and all the yajmans that have conducted yajnas previously for this wonderful gift of mankind. Also I extend my gratitude to all the pundits who participated and assisted to make this event a great success.

The yajna at Panjal was celebrated in a noble way for a noble cause. When the yajna is understood as a link to access the Divine, which is its very essence, the rite seems to develop and follow an ambiguous pattern. When the ambiguity is gradually cleared, to experience the whole system of the ritual that is presented in a clear and effective manner, it requires one to ideally value it from different angles. To integrate these observations and create a lucid description still remains impossible.

Exact information on all vital and unimportant aspects of the yajna, seen through the eyes is being adequately posted in several blogs and articles, which are commendable. But, primarily, my aim is to explain what I experienced. I knew my mind was in harmony with the various phases of the ritual and the ritual became fully remarkable for me.

While we are enlightened on the divine experiences of the yajna, we are equally confronted with instances where the yajnas were reduced to follow cruel and horrible forms in the past. For fulfillment of worldly desires the priests performed the rituals, grabbed the power from the just and righteous rulers, ousted them and were sent for hermitage. This contributed to deterioration in the administration of the land, which encouraged many an invasion. This insulted the real intention of the yagas and the core of the yajna got softened.

In course of time, it is so inevitable that the orderly purpose of the ritual suffers severely in such manners, as all these errors were human. Human attributes had distorted the vision of the ritual. These were warnings and anticipating such errors, the officials at Panjal were concerned about an efficient conduct of the same. For no other reason was the kalpa praayaschitham performes towards the end of every complex ritual. Such a precaution for a 12 day ritual supervised by learned pundits who mastered the ceremonies for more than a year, serves ample justification for the disorders that might have affected rituals that succeeded years.

Contrary to all these concerns, the Panjal Athiraathram affirms strongly the essence of yajna. The ritual thought to have lost its sheer essence was vigorously revived. It preserved the deeper truths of the ritual.

The spiritual peace that was acquired at Panjal surpassed all the modern scientific methodologies employed there and so did it surpass everyones expectation. All I could tell you is this- my insights are my encounters with the ritual. Each one of you could make this your personal spiritual experience. Await more and more yajnas in Kerala or elsewhere, participate and enjoy the love it offers.

(continued.../)
    Last edited by brahman; 01 July 2011 at 05:44 AM.

What differentiates yagna from other similar pujas?

All this is not for me. इदम् न मम Idam na Mama this concept makes the difference.
    This spirit of total dedication, complete surrender, and supreme selflessness is that which is expressed by the term Na Mama. It is performed to bring peace, re-awaken harmony, foster love and make happiness prevail in this world. It never celebrates material benefit or reputation of the performer. The sacrifice thus acknowledges its core of लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवंतु loka samsta sukhino bhavantu.

I may refer yagna or yagam as a doorway to peace. It attains peace because it culminates in the unification of yajman ,homa ingredients and its end result into the Ultimate Brahman.

Yagna is derived from the Sanskrit word yaj which means sacrifice (my POV).

Who then sacrifices?

With a large number of people in attendance, the yajman and his wife initiates the yagna, the ultimate sacrifice, committing his entire life to the ritual. With a number of universal values to implement, the yajman offers oblations into the sacrificial fire or agni. He carries this agni home, keeps it burning at his house until this divine energy has been transferred to one of their funeral pyre. There is no mission or greater sacrifice than sacrificing ones whole life to keep this fire ablaze.

Why is agni preserved?

All who attend and leave the ritual preserves agni in their hearts, in the realm of faith. Those who have a veil upon their hearts do not see the light. The numinous power of the mantras chanted here has strengthened the fire. The yajman has sincerely transferred our portion of this divine blaze, to fill all our hearts that have had abundant faith. For all humanity, the yajman preserves another portion of agni at his home, just in its true, steady, and physical form. For all humanity, he lets the light shine in their hearts, celebrating the aura or blaze or tejas(of the Ultimate Brahman). He thus preserves the agni at home, as a faithful instrument and driving force for a huge transformation.This agni remains an indwelling energy in us, an infusing divine energy that changes every one of us to a new being, culminating in self-realisation.

A new and glorious way has opened through the Athiraathram.

What is athirathram?

An oblation conducted overnight, it is termed athirathram. Athirathram involves the consumption of Soma and falls under the category Soma Yagna. Haviryajna represents all non-Soma sacrifices.

This can be conducted using or without using a chithi or the altar of fire. But, Kerala follows the oldest Vedic ritual by constructing altar or chithi for the yagashala , signifying the changing seasons.

We remain incapable to completely comprehend the intricacy of the recitations, chants and rituals. So, I sincerely dont feel a grand description would be befitting here, nonetheless one earnestly partakes in it. All intellectual explanation not backed by direct experience would only misguide. All procedures that apply to the rituals are detailed in the Kalpa-Sutra, it assures continuity of these age old rituals in its original form, anywhere.

These are questions I asked to myself and When I write this, I wish each one of you could reach Panjal in 2013, and heighten the energy field of love, harmony and peace.

Back from Panjal, I attempted many a time to sit and write and share with you what I experienced, but could not make it happen. The thoughts repeatedly took me to a distinct realm, encountering the divine glow again and again.

(CONTINUED.../)

My dear Members,

Many thanks for your extended participation(viewership) that helped this thread find a place in the official website of the ritual, among media giants like THE HINDU, Washington Post, CNN, Times of India and so on..

Click and scroll down to read

I express my thanks to Trust Varthathe for their commendable initiative.

HDF deserves appreciation for offering a platform to share and discuss noble thoughts on this sacred ritual.
    We hope this serves a guiding force to many more events to come. Jai Hind

(continued.../)

Frits Staal, an influential Indologist, 1930- 2012

Staal, known simply as Frits to the world, ranged widely across many fields.He was a wonder.

He conducted the Agnicayana before most of us were born, explored areas of philosophy and rituals and religious studies, served a number of institutions in the position of a professor, travelled actively across spiritual places meeting personalities and Vedic scholars of the higher order.

To me, he was not an enlightened guru ,but his studies and publications exemplify his scholarly imagination on Vedic studies. As a generous teacher, charming genius and scholar, Staal is an inspiration to anyone who seek the wisdom of karma kanda. His range of interests in Vedic studies is enough to guide any westerner or Indian without a traditional teacher, to the depths of the sacred Vedas to a higher extend.

Respects.

Visit Frits

Books

Altar of Fire -1975 : Dr. Frits Staal
    (Video)

Last edited by brahman; 26 February 2012 at 03:27 AM.

Thread Information