Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabarimala: Sri Ayyappa temple

Sabarimala: Sri Ayyappa temple

SWAMI SARANAM AYYAPPA SARANAM

The Ayyappa temple at Sabarimala will be opened on Tuesday, 16 November 2010, afternoon for the two-month annual Mandalam- Makaravilakku pilgrimage that begins on Wednesday, the first day in the Malayalam month of Vrishcikom.

The rituals will begin with Tantri Kandararu Rajeevaru performing the Ganpathi Homom on Wednesday morning. Ezhikode Sasi Namboodiri of Paingulam Mana, near Cheruthuruthy, in Thrissur district is the new head priest (Melsanthi) of Lord Ayyappa Temple at Sabarimala.

Mandalapuja
    The 41-day Mandalam festival will conclude on December 27 and the Mandalapuja will be performed at the temple prior to the Utchapuja. The temple will be closed after the Athazhapuja in the evening.

Makaravilakku
    The Ayyappa temple will reopen for the annual Makaravilakku festival on December 30 afternoon. The Makaravilakku festival will be celebrated at the Sabarimala Sannidhanam on January 14.
    The ceremonial procession carrying the Thiruvabharanam to adorn the presiding deity at Sabarimala prior to the deeparadhana on the Makaravilakku day will start from the Pandalam Valiyakoickal Sastha temple on January 12.
    The temple will be closed after the Athazhapuja on January 19 evening, marking the culmination of the pilgrim season.
    The temple is dedicated to Lord Ayyappa. It is situated on the mountain ranges of the Western Ghats at an altitude of 914 meters above sea level, four kilometers uphill from Pamba in Pathanamthitta district of the state. The temple is accessible only by foot.

Swamy Ayyappa Temple

TIPS ABOUT PILGRIMAGE TO SABARIMALA
    • The shrine of Lord Sabarimala Ayyappa is situated in a forest, in Pathanamthitta District of Kerala, close to the boarder with Tamil Nadu. The place is accessible from west through Kottayam, Palai or Pathanamthitta and from the east through Madurai. On western side motorable road is available upto the banks of river Pampa. The last 5 kilometres will have to be covered on foot.
    • The shrine at Sabarimala is not open for darshan throughout the year. It remains open for few days close to the end and beginning of each Malayalam Calendar month. This coincides with the middle of each English Calendar Month. Besides, there are few other occassions like Mandala Vilakku (Close to Dec 25th), Onam etc.. The information regarding these days is available in Malayalam newspapers and calendars.
    • The most important occassion is Makarasankrant and Makaravilakku (close to Christmas day and mid January)
    • Women between the ages of 10 and 50 years are not supposed to visit the shrine.
    • The shrine is situated on a lofted platau. There are three entries consisting of eighteen steps each on the eastern, northern and western sides(Front, Left and Back). Entry through the main holy steps in the front is restricted to those carrying the mandatory "Irumudikkettu" (head load of offerings and provisions). It is customary to wear dark clothes - a reminder of Ayyan's expedition. This holy steps are used only twice during a visit namely go and return.
    • The devotees are required to break a cocoanut at the appointed place before entry to the steps.
    • Pilgrimage to Sabarimala should be undertaken after 41 days of rigorous purifying rituals. These and the journey by beginers should be under the guidance of a veteran referred to as Guruswami.
    • Pilgrims visit major temples of Kerala as an accepted custom.
    • Although the area is covered by Cellular Telephone service, the use is restricted during main seasons, as the ringing and talking can disturb the contineous chanting of "Swami Saranam."
    • Scattering of garbage, especially non-bio degradable, littering, consumption of alcohol & non-vegtarian food, Smoking etc are punishable Offences.
    • Information centres and counters are available at important points for assistace to pilgrims, including announcements for paging for individuals separated from their groups.

Swami Saranam, Ayyappa Saranam

Re: Sabarimala: Sri Ayyappa temple

Thank you for posting the information. I am from a north Indian background and was completely unfamiliar with Ayyappa until I had an internet connection. Do you have some information about the significance of Ayyappa in different south Indian sects?

Excellent post Brahman! Thanks.

Sabarimala is one of the few remaining shrines where Hindu Dharma in its purest form is still practiced. And, they make sure they follow all traditions carefully! *cough* *cough*

That’s true dear SN, we don’t have any information available in the Vedas or any scriptures of the Vedic age. The uniqueness of this pilgrim spot was borne lately. It was a long arduous walk in the earlier periods(even till early sixties) amidst dense forests , almost totally abstaining from material desires and leaving home like a hermit.

Mostly dependent on my intuitions, I would say Lord Sri. Ayyappa is Sri. Dharma-Shasta . Shasta was a cult of syncretism with an attempt to unite the Saivite and Vaishnavites sects of Hinduism in S.india . Though it traces its roots to Thamizhakam (Tamil Nadu) , the other side of Western Ghats (now Kerala) nurtured the cult exclusively .

If the sastha cult was introduced to syncretise sects of Hiduism from separation, the Sri. Ayappa cult was introduced to expel Jains and Buddhists and to prevent (or to ally for communal harmony and to stop a massive impact) the spreading of Islam.

Being a firm practitioner of Nirguna upasana (though not really ritualistic) , its again firmly recorded in me that Lord Ayyappa is Nirakara Moorthy, and so says the words on the sanctum “Tattvamasi” - the essence of the Holy Vedas. The place genuinely exhibits vibrant divine energy, assuring you the truth taught by the scriptures. That experience is beyond my words… I request , lets know these places, visit and share the energy.
    One million people undertaking hard penance or vratham (women between the age of 10- 55 not allowed), chanting saranam to the Lord and climbing the hills bare foot over the sharp stones for about 5 hours is a different experience altogether.

Dear TTA,
    The Sabarimala Ayyappa temple recorded a total revenue Rs.128.48 crore (1.3 Bn)during the just-concluded Mandalam-Makaravilakku pilgrim season(2009- 2010, 60 days) as against Rs.113.23 crore(1.1 Bn) last season.
    The population of Kerala is 30million+ and the pilgrims visit Sabarimala in 60 days would come around 50million+ making it the world’s second largest pilgrim.

....like you said in the above post, there is a chance, but I am not interested TTA, the lord resides in my heart , nothing can taint or disgrace …

These posts are done with public interest and not personal.

Lots of love

LORD AYYAPPA

A GATE ON THE RAOD TO SABARIMALA

HOLY RIVER PAMPA

ROAD TO ADOBE

THE SANNIDHANAM

I visited it. One has to go via Pampa. Place is damn dirty.

Facilities at Kottayam

Facilities to Sabarimala pilgrims

at Kottayam Brahmana Samooha Madom

Srinivasa Iyer Road (besides Thirunakkara Temple)

Kottayam – 686 001

0481 – 2566 926

Swamy Saranam

Another Mandalam – Makaravilakku season begins today. As you know, Kottayam is a strategic point as far as pilgrims to Sabarimala are concerned. We, the volunteers at Kottayam Brahmana Samooham, are ready to help you once again in making your trip to Sabarimala a pleasurable and memorable one. At Samooha Madom we have facilities (irrespective of religion, caste, sect etc.) like rooms / dormitories (AC and Non AC), food, toilets, travel arrangements etc. In case any assistance is required please contact well in advance the persons, whose contacts are given below.

Please note that this is purely a voluntary service and not a profit driven one.

Also please keep this mail circulating

Yours at service

Saranam Ayyappa

Ramanathan (Ramji) 0 94473 62569

S. Sankar (Devan) – 0 93495 27765

Umamaheswaran (Mahesh) 0 93878 84646, 0 93880 19898

Ajay Sankar – 0 93884 44458

PRASANTH SRINIVAS B.Com., F.C.A, A.I.C.W.A, D.I.S.A (ICAI)
    Partner
    S. S. AYYAR AND CO.
    Chartered Accountants, Ajantha, Post Box No. 65,
    Thirunakkara West, Temple Road, Kottayam - 686 001
    Phone: 0481-2582053, 2582836(O), 2582960(R)
    E-mail: srinivas_ssayyar@yahoo.com
    Last edited by RVR; 22 November 2010 at 11:21 PM.
    'Let Noble Thoughts come to us from all sides' – Rigveda 1-89-i.

‘Thiruvabharanam’ ,
    are sacred jewel-studded ornaments in gold, believed to have been offered to the Sabarimala Ayyappa Temple by the king of the erstwhile Pandalam royal kingdom, who was also the foster father of Lord Ayyappa alias Manikanta, centuries ago.

Hordes of Ayyappa devotees are visiting Pandalam town to have a glimpse of ‘Thiruvabharanam,’ the sacred jewellery, kept at the Pandalam Palace.

It has been a custom since then to decorate the Ayyappa idol at Sabarimala with the sacred jewellery on the Makaravilakku day that usually falls on the first day in the Malayalam month of Makarom.

The Thiruvabharanam has been kept in the safe custody of the Pandalam palace and the temple authorities used to take the sacred jewellery to Sabarimala in a ceremonial procession for the Makaravilakku festival every year. The sacred ornaments were kept in three specially designed sandal wooden boxes for carrying them on head all the way to the Sabarimala Sannidhanam.

‘Makarajyoti' darshan

Makarajyoti, a celestial star, will rise on the eastern horizon of the Sannidhanam, followed by the flickering of a bright flame thrice on a distant hilltop after the Deeparadhana. A Kalabhabhishekom marking the culmination of the Neyyabhishekom offering during the Makaravilakku festival will be performed prior to the Utchapuja on January 18.

The Guruti ritual to propitiate the ‘Bhoothagana' of Lord Ayyappa will be performed at Malikappuram on January 19 evening.

The Ayyappa temple will be closed after the exclusive customary holy darshan by the royal representative at 7 a.m. on January 20.

I think it is time to re-awaken this thread from a non-devotional, non-sentimental perspective. After the incredible apathy shown by the Kerala Christist govt in managing the event which indirectly lead to the death of more than 100 people, here is a further tit bit from Rajeev (one of my favorite blogger). There is no pardon from even God for stupidity and I fail to understand the devotional frenzy to temples which are clearly under control of enemies of Hinduism. Gods and deities reside everywhere, last time I criticized this emotional devotional frenzy w.r.t another well known temple also in the hand of Christist conspirators, there was ridicule. In the past I used to be proud of this display of devotion, but now I think it is a mammoth display of collective stupidity.
    If you really are a person who is unable to get beyond sentimental devotional ism, consider this incident a clear signal from Ayappan, that he is not happy with the crores of money being wasted and given to Anti-Hindu elements to fund their activities through his medium. He is trapped by the enemies and you devotees are just happily throwing coins at his situation. Is this right devotion? Or is this sentimentalism? I am not sure, but it is devoid of intelligence and right thinking for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajeev
    according to this article from 'mangalam' newspaper, the total income received by the kerala govt every year is rs. 3000 crore.

total amount spent on all 1208 temples under travancore devaswom board: rs 80 lakhs! yes, less than 1 crore!

(i have read elsewhere -- it's on google -- that the take from direct contributions by pilgrims into the hundi alone is rs. 131 crore).

astonishing, isn't it?
    http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com/2011/...milch-cow.html
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    the event which indirectly lead to the death of more than 100 people,
    Vannakkam: Something's wrong with this picture, but I have yet to get a clear intuitive feeling of what it is. At Palani I met a very nice Ayappan devotee on his way home to Coimbatore from Sabrimalai, and stopping in Palani on the way. Because of hernia, he had to ride up the rope car. We had a very pleasant conversation (one of a rare breed who can speak English well down there in deep Dravidian territory) , and after the Palani cart passed he went and got his whole family pilgrimage group to introduce us to them. He was by no means an idiot, in fact he was an engineer. But I've always noticed a 'different' vibration to Ayyappan. Still have not the intuitive understanding to really grasp the difference. One thing for sure though just from observation ... there is a lot of rushing and yelling going on. Maybe its the restrained testosterone of 40 days of celibacy coming out. But in many ways it is the antithesis of peacefulness, at least during the pilgrimage process. perhaps when it is over, there is great peace. I have not had the opportunity to observe that.

When you go to some huge temple like Madurai or Tiruchendur, and off in some vague corner in the labyrinth of stone, you see some chap sitting in still meditation, it is certainly a stark contrast to the Ayappan or Murugan guys running or rolling. To each his own I guess.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information