Thread: Martial arts as a way to channel aggressive energy?

Question Martial arts as a way to channel aggressive energy?

Are there any scriptural sayings on this matter?

Or perhaps that was something exclusive to kṣatriya clans?

What would be the indicated procedure if one has difficulty dealing with aggressive impulses/thoughts?

Om Tat Sat
    Last edited by Adhvagat; 16 December 2010 at 05:54 PM.

Re: Martial arts as a way to channel aggressive energy?

Bump. Anyone?

namaste PI.

This may not directly relate to the subject, but have you read Paul Brunton's 'A Search in Secret India'? The fifth chapter of the book, titled 'The Achorite of the Adyar River' has some advice about the jerky movements of the exercise of Englishmen and the breezy, restful movements of those of the Indians. Here is a link to the book:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/14167579/S...n-Secret-India
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    What would be the indicated procedure if one has difficulty dealing with aggressive impulses/thoughts?

Om Tat Sat
    Vannakkam Pietro:

Only very rarely now do I have aggressive thoughts. Perhaps it is my age. I know when I was young I used to have more, so I am not sure the change is a result of sadhana or just a natiral tendency with age. I tend to lean towards the former, simply because I have witnessed certain Grumpy Old Men become more aggressive with age.

In sadhana, in a non-aggressive moment away from any situation that might cause an intensified reaction, I used to reflect on the real cause. Usually it boiled down to my own insecurity or the instinctive layer of the mind. I also recognised some of the factors when barriers were weakened such as being overly tired, or spending too much time in the world, or hanging out with aggressive people. Not sure if this helps, but..

Aum Namasivaya

In India martial arts is intertwined with spirituality. Indian wrestlers remain brahmacharins during their training and worship Hanuman. Madhvacharya, the founder of the dvaita vedanta school was also a weightlifter and a wrestler.

Namaste Pietro,

This has been something that has interested me for a while, especially after learning about Shaolin monks and the martial arts that they do. But I have never been very interested in actually practicing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Indian wrestlers remain brahmacharins during their training and worship Hanuman.
    Yes, this is something I have read. Indian wrestlers are generally very devoted to Lord Hanuman.

Jai Sri Ram

Light Re: Martial arts as a way to channel aggressive energy?

Oh my god! You seem to forget Kalaripayat, the martial arts invented, by Parashurama himself! There is this sword I've heard of, If one masters that sword, its could behead 1000 heads or something in just few seconds, its a flexible sword, but very powerful and a guru gets to choose just 1 student among many to wield this sword.
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

HEllo upsydownyupsy mv ss

You need to clear ur message inbox for me to send you messages.
    SarveSha cAdhiKAro vidYAYA ca shreyah:
    kevalaYA vidYAYA veti siddhah.

It has been established that everyone has the right to the knowledge of Brahman and the Supreme Goal is attained by that Knowledge alone.
    Adi Shankara in Taittiriya Upanishad, Bhasya 2.2.

Namaste Pietro et al,

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I just watched an old episode of the television show "Deadliest Warrior", and they were featuring the Rajput warriors. They wielded some awesome weapons like the chakram, khanda, and katara, and were also skilled in a martial art known as gatka. It looks like it was created by Sikhs.

Jai Sri Ram

Thread Information