Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversation about those who haven't posted in a while

Re: Forum Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Aren't we all supposed to be working on getting rid of emotional attachment. Isn't that part of Hinduism? Let's get to the 'Now' that so many sages talk about.
    +1

My deep, deep respects to you EM.
    It is in these unguarded moments of idle talk that we reveal our true spiritual identity.
    When humans - talking heads - are deified, the Lord takes a backseat!

Namaskar Devotee,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    However, I hope I may be able to be regular here.

OM
    Your account has been moved to regular group. Your posts will now go straight to the forum.
    satay

Sudarshan was one of the members that motivated me to join this forum...

Any news about him?

Re: Conversation about those who haven't posted in a while

Vannakkam Pietro: If you go to the member's list tab, you can look at any member's info and it shows the last time they came on. It does not show if they were just visiting. You can also search on 'find all posts by ____' Turns out Sudarshan posted on Nov. 13 so he's still around. Hope this helps in future.

Aum Namasivaya

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Sudarshan was one of the members that motivated me to join this forum...

Any news about him?
    The last time I talked to Sudarshan he was busy with translations of puranas and was having some health problems. He is a busy guy.
    satay

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM (et.al)

Satay, I couldn't agree more. Lamenting indicates attachment. Attachment to what? We don't even really know each other. I personally have not met a single other individual on here. We don't know each other very well at all.
    I see your point ( and agree moving on is a good thing), but allow me to offer a different POV on the said quote I have extracted above.

Perhaps we may know the people on HDF better then one thinks. We are able to read and listen to one's views day-in-and-day-out. We may even perhaps be seeing a new side, different side of a person via HDF. They can be more open , without feeling threatened.

We are viewing people via their ideas and knowledge - leaving the body behind. With physical personal contact , different biases arise, no? Oh he's short, tall, skinny. I do not like his/her shoes. I do not like her dress. All this takes place within ~ 2 minutes~ of physically meeting a person.

I submit to you that if HDF members met commonality has been established. Interests have been established. The foundation is there to build a structure ( friendship). This is what I believe.

Yet, that said, the mahābhārata tells of people meeting on this earth. They are like two logs floating down a river. Some times they bump into each other and 'sail' down the river together, then they depart. The departures are various and many.

It is my belief that we meet others to learn or teach. That is how I view HDF - some times I am the student, other times I may assist with an idea to two.

For this, we are blessed being human¹ - to miss this point is to sell at diamond at the price of spinach

praṇām

1. On being human - a different view : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=human
    Last edited by yajvan; 20 November 2010 at 07:48 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM (et.al)

I see your point ( and agree moving on is a good thing), but allow me to offer a different POV on the said quote I have extracted above.

Perhaps we may know the people on HDF better then one thinks. We are able to read and listen to one's views day-in-and-day-out. We may even perhaps be seeing a new side, different side of a person via HDF. They can be more open , without feeling threatened.

We are viewing people via their ideas and knowledge - leaving the body behind. With physical personal contact , different biases arise, no? Oh he's short, tall, skinny. I do not like his/her shoes. I do not like her dress. All this takes place within ~ 2 minutes~ of physically meeting a person.

I submit to you that if HDF members met commonality has been established. Interests have been established. The foundation is there to build a structure ( friendship). This is what I believe.

Yet, that said, the mahābhārata tells of people meeting on this earth. They are like two logs floating down a river. Some times they bump into each other and 'sail' down the river together, then they depart. The departures are various and many.

It is my belief that we meet others to learn or teach. That is how I view HDF - some times I am the student, other times I may assist with an idea to two.

For this, we are blessed being human¹ - to miss this point is to sell at diamond at the price of spinach

praṇām

1. On being human - a different view : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=human
    I pretty much agree with you...

HDF makes me very happy, it's such a great way to discuss such highly beneficial topics.

So I tend to come here when I'm with my mind quiet and clean, it's almost like the beginning of a spiritual sadhana to me.

I remember reading a post where someone was saying that perhaps we have more in common in past lives than we may realize.

We are all here discussing the vedas... That alone is amazing! But many here contribute to take it to the next level and mantain a peaceful envinronment and bring rich topics and insights.

I present my respect to this whole community!

Hari Om Tat Sat

Satay, I couldn't agree more. Lamenting indicates attachment. Attachment to what? We don't even really know each other. I personally have not met a single other individual on here. We don't know each other very well at all.
    I have a different view-point, EM. First, there is no lamenting but a sense of missing the company of our spiritual friends. There is a fine difference between the two things. What are we missing when people like Atanu, GP, or Sambya are not around ?? ... their ideas and that is a loss.

You say that you don't know me because we have never "met" in person. Now think over it. Even if you meet me & see my face & my attire and my body expressions ... will you be sure that you "know" me ? My dear friend, I agree with Yajvan ... the ideas are what we really are. Why do we visit this forum at all ? We are here to share ideas ... clearance of our doubts and reinforcement of some bright ideas held by us & helping others wherever we can.

"Please come back' sounds like some kind of baby talk when Mom is going out the door to run an errand. What causes that? Attachment. Aren't we all supposed to be working on getting rid of emotional attachment. Isn't that part of Hinduism? When the day comes that I walk away, there will be no goodbyes. It'll just be 'poof'. Let's get to the 'Now' that so many sages talk about.
    Ah, that topic interests me much. You have not got it right, EM. "Could not care less" ... "Why should I bother what you think or feel" ... "Whether anyone is in pain or suffering ... it is not my concern" .... Why ?? Because I am on the path towards "non-attachment" and nothing affects me at all ! ------ Sorry, this type of thinking can lead us only towards our ego-centric world (i.e. hell) ... this is not the correct path leading towards non-attachment which Bhagwad Gita says. The Correct path is :

Sva (ego-self) ===> Par (others) ===> Param (the Ultimate ... the Self)

If someone is getting beaten & I am not feeling any pain ... this not non-attachment .... this is heartlessness and selfishness (this is because of our intense attachment to this body-mind entity somehere deeper within) .... If I am getting beaten and I am immune to the pains inflicted on my body-mind ... that is non-attachment. Yes, eventually there would come a point when nothing affects the yogi ... he remains even in all circumstances but we have a long way to go before that state comes.

I will tell you one story on this :

There was a famine in Bengal in 1897 & once when Swami Vivekanada heard the sufferings of people dying of hunger he wept in compassion for the poor people. At this one of his disciple commented " "Why sir ? Why do you weep being a Sannyaasi & a yogi when everything in this world is just Maya ?" At this Swamiji took a stick & started beating him. The disciple cried in pain & then Swamiji smiled and said, "Now why do you cry when your body is Maya, this stick is Maya & your sufferings are too Maya ? When it concerns you, you feel the pain because you think it is real & when it affects others then it is Maya ?? First reach the point where you don't feel the pains inflicted on your own body-mind & then you will have correct understanding of Maya and the Truth & not before that."

It is paradoxical but true that the path of attachment goes through extremely intense attachment to the Ultimate Truth. The point beyond the ladder is through ladder alone.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Re: Conversation about those who haven't posted in a while

Namaste,

Welcome back to the forum, Devotee! I have missed reading the gentle insight and wisdom that comes with your posts.

I agree with you and Yajvan. I do not think the regret one feels in not seeing the posts or activity of long-time members necessarily means attachment. It's not something that would ever really shake or bother me, but I do feel a sense of vague disappointment (closest emotion I can come to describing) that you might never hear from them again. There is always the possibility that any post you might read here from member X will be his last. There is no way of knowing if some members that no longer post here have died and moved onto the next life. It reminds you that someone can be here in this life one minute and then gone the next.

EM, it's true that we might not be personally acquainted with each other in real life, but think about how much of our lives, personal thoughts and experiences we share with each on HDF - sometimes I feel like the people on this forum would know me better than some of my real-life friends with whom I'd never discuss the vedas, God, the meaning behind our existence and greater reality.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

I will tell you one story on this :

There was a famine in Bengal in 1897 & once when Swami Vivekanada heard the sufferings of people dying of hunger he wept in compassion for the poor people. At this one of his disciple commented " "Why sir ? Why do you weep being a Sannyaasi & a yogi when everything in this world is just Maya ?" At this Swamiji took a stick & started beating him. The disciple cried in pain & then Swamiji smiled and said, "Now why do you cry when your body is Maya, this stick is Maya & your sufferings are too Maya ? When it concerns you, you feel the pain because you think it is real & when it affects others then it is Maya ?? First reach the point where you don't feel the pains inflicted on your own body-mind & then you will have correct understanding of Maya and the Truth & not before that."
    Moral of the story: EM, until you reach the level of spirituality as defined by Swamiji, don't utter a word.
    -

Thread Information