Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversation about those who haven't posted in a while

Re: Conversation about those who haven't posted in a while

Vannakkam everyone: Please don't get me wrong. I do like this place. There is a ton of wisdom here, and the fact I keep coming back over and over demonstrates it. I don't know about others, but I know I have had several 'off the forum' interactions with people here as well, via email, gifts sent to real addresses, help with travel plans, etc.

My comments were more in line with respecting a personal choice, as some others have also mentioned. So I apologise for projecting my beliefs onto others. I came to be this way from a deep reflection on relationships and how they end one day a long time back, and it has stuck with me.

I was hitchhiking across Canada, and often when the ride was over, the other and perhaps me as well would end it with "See you later." Then waiting for the next ride, one day I started thinking how very odd that was. It was simple highly highly unlikely, and yet we had both expressed it as if we were brothers, and it was indeed very likely.

I must also confess that I'm biased somewhat this way from some previous experiences on line. One was from a 'confession' in a PM to me where the individual clearly demonstrated his words on line were different than his actions in life. Another time I agreed to meet someone for coffee here in my city, and she turned out to be someone completely different than my impressions. For starters she was a he. So perhaps I'm warped by that.

Then there is the old ingrained adage (in me anyway) "actions speak louder than words".

But hey this is all just my personal take. Even in real life, I faced these differences when I asked not to have the standard 'retirement' or 'going away' parties. Then the 'social convener' went ahead despite my objections. So I apologise if I have offended anyone, but in reality I respect all of your views, as they are your views. Hopefully I can get the same in return. It's like a lot of things. If you don't tell me how to think, I won't tell you how to think.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I don't know about others, but I know I have had several 'off the forum' interactions with people here as well, ....gifts sent to real addresses, ..... etc.
    EM, you have been bribing the Administrators?
    No wonder they are "soft" on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    EM, you have been bribing the Administrators?
    No wonder they are "soft" on you.
    Vannakkam: And how much would it cost just for your silence?

Aum Namasivaya

If you don't tell me how to think, I won't tell you how to think.

I once listened to a talk and the lecturer said, people don't like to be told how to think. Children only have to make up their mind, but adults have to change their mind. As we get older, we become more resistent to people telling us how to think. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's interesting to think about.

Vannakkam Sahasranama:

Projecting our thoughts, ways of Practice, and impressions into the minds of others is a common folly. Personally, I need to guard against doing it. When you observe someone in a temple telling another devotee how to do something (besides the serious things like not entering sanctums of course) such as how to hold your hands, put on vibhuthi, etc. then the folly becomes quite apparent. If everyone thought like me, then Toyota would be the only automobile on the planet. How sad that would be because then I couldn't laugh at all the poor guys standing beside their broken down Fords and Chevies on the shoulder of the highway.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM (et.al)

You have spoken your mind, and here on HDF that is fine and welcomed. Many have offered reflection on what you said.
    Now the question is was there any value in what was offered?
    If so, a learning experience, if not , well alls well with the world and others had the opportunity to express their POV's.

For me , it is of the highest importance that a person can speak their mind ( less being condescending , yet welcomed in the jalpa folder )
    in a calm and reflecting way and know it is safe and okay to do it here. As I see observe your posts you do this in fine fashion.
    You are sincere & no faults arise from the sincerity.

The benefit comes to the person, the community and HDF when a person says or thinks, I did not think that way before, this is a new
    perspective for me
    . That is the value of HDF ( as I see it) - growth.

They say if you wish to learn something new, drop an old habit. This can only occur with new ideas as 'fuel'. HDF is the fuel source.

Overall I am reminded again and again ( regarding relationships to any person, place or thing): In the final analysis all love is
    directed to the Self¹ .

praṇām

1. bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad - puruṣavidha-brāhmaṇa, 2nd śloka
    If one cares to read the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad ( some write bṛhadaraṇyakopaniṣad ), maitreyi brāhmaṇa (section 4) confirms this.
    Yajñavalkya muni speaks to his wife maitreya ( as he is about to depart to the forest and take to saṃyas-āśrama).

He says, It is not for the love of the husband my dear that the husband dear to his wife, but for the love of the Self (ātman).
    Yajñavalkya-ji points this out for the love of sons, wealth, worlds, gods, etc. as he expounds on 9 subjects. All love is directed towards the Self (ātman)
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Now the question is was there any value in what was offered?
    Vannakkam Yajvan: Well at least I feel I learned something, so in that sense for me it was valuable.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    How sad that would be because then I couldn't laugh at all the poor guys standing beside their broken down Fords and Chevies on the shoulder of the highway.
    That is a direct frontal attack on the intelligence, work ethic and integrity of American workers. Our unmanned drones are hovering over Edmonton as we speak, and you will feel them soon. Ha Ha!

Vannakkam Believer: Hopefully, said drones have reputable cameras that can distinguish automotive brands from above. There are several that have died along major routes. Mostly __________s , ___________ s, and ______s.

But hey I once owned a decent '86 Chevy Nova.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Forum Moderation

namaskar devotee,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    their ideas and that is a loss.
    OM
    What do you propose we do? How do we force people to post here when they do not post?

Incidentally, this topic seems very important to you, however, please post on other topics if your time allows.
    satay

Thread Information