Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few questions

Re: A few questions

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Chorus View Post
    Namastè Yajvan -
    I have taken some time off, and, as you suggested, have read some more posts on the forum. It seems like I am encountering a few difficulties.
    Well, the first thing is that I do not have a birth chart, and that I would not know where to get one (I believe it's a pretty complicated affair...)
    Secondly (and perhaps most importantly), as far as I understand, the general consensus - which, incidentally, I also found confirmed by Osho - is that no mantras are to be recited unless specifically given by a spiritual master. As I do not have any guru, I would rather not dabble in things I know little about, and which might potentially prove harmful (so no more 'Gayatri Mantra' for me! ).
    I guess the best thing then for me to do would be to continue reading, learn to pray better, and to attempt easier meditation techniques...
    Namaste and thank you for the note....
    re: Birth chart - I can assist. Pls send me your birth info to my home email. you will see the address under members info.
    City, State, Country, time of birth ( hours , minutes, seconds if possible).

re: Mantra's - there are multiple points of view here. This goes under mantra shastra and Akshara samudaya or suitability of letters, sounds.
    Some posts above point to Gayatri , a most wonderful mantra, that can do only good. Yet if one has the opportunity to gain this from a realized being, it contains more shakti ( energy) and comes well equipped for the sisya ( the student) to use. Proper pronunciation is key yes? in all we do. Tuning a piano, a string instrument, to get the proper vibration, meter, etc. So if this is possible fine. That said, we start simple... a simple bija mantra and not a long multi syllable one .... we allow the mind to work with easy things and culture it. WE can also look at Pra-siddha mantras, that is, exempt from specific rules of Akshara samudaya, in which the gayatri mantra fits.... Yet, my recommendation is still bija mantra to start, to culture the mind to transcend. If you choose to use the gayatri , that is fine, then do it in the prescribed times ( sandhi) of the day, and perhaps a japa. ( see the end of this email, I do not want to switch subjects before finishing this thought)
    Bottom line - mantras affect our being. The number of syllables of the mantra influence different parts of our lives and can be seen by ones birth chart. This is the knowledge of Jyotish and Mantra shastra. Lets say a mantra has 8 syllables or phonemes like the astakshari narayana mantra ( Om Namo Narayanaya). The influence is on the 8th house. The 8th house is that of Moksha, and is to assist one to enlightenment. Like that what you choose/or assigned is key ... that is why a one syllable bija mantra is most auspicious, as it affects the first house ( rasi) and improves ones overall being, as the 1st house is ones ascendant which represents a key part of the sisya... You physically, mentally. The first house is our dharma house, connected to ones life-purpose. Perhaps you have a better appreciation of mantra selection from this? We start simple... this is best.
    More on mantra shastra later, yet please consider the following:
    Meditation times (or Sandhya upasana), for those that mediate, many do their sadhana AM and PM... there are junction points (Sandhya or junction, sandhi) at these times . What's the junction? Twilight or the changing of the sun's position in the sky that can translate to ones meditation experiences. The sun plays a key role in timing everything on earth AND is the atman or soul indicator (Atmakaraka) for all on this planet. Since meditation deals with realizing the SELF ( Atman) , the sun has its influence here AND the sun is the representative ( karaka) of ones 1st house, the lagna or ascendent.
    Lets look at a few junction points: Sunrise, noon, sunset and midnight are considered the key sandhya times during the day.
    Also note there are these junction points during the 12 months as the sun, surya transits one sign to another; Like that, there are multiple other times, but for now lets look at the following:

Morning is Brahma Muhurta Sandhya
    Noon for Vishnu Sandhya
    Sunset called Mahesha Sandhya
    Midnight called Kali or Turiya Sandhya
    So, meditation times are prescribed, and in the beginning, we do AM and PM , Brahma Muhurta Sandhya And Mahesha Sandhya.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste -

Quote Originally Posted by Satay
    (...) I remember when I was in school in India, we recited the Gayatri Mantra in the morning. The whole school...

So, in my opinion even though the rule is that mantra should be received from a guru to gain the full spiritual affect, Gayatri can be recited by anyone.
    Satay, are you referring here to a 'regular' school? Your story is amazing! As far as I understand, the Gayatri Mantra, of the many mantras, is one which might be recited without Diksha. However, I think different schools of thought hold different opinions, so there is no one line on this issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee
    It is known that meditation brings to view aspects that were all the time controlling you viciously.
    (...)
    What I can see is that you possibly tried meditating without keeping the thought of God central.
    (...)
    So, I personally do not think that one should take a reverse gear. But I surely feel that one has the option of Nama Japa and/or Pranayama to first strengthen the steadiness.
    Thank you for the useful note, Atanu. You see, while I think I understand what you mean, I also encounter a paradox in meditation: to free the mind from thought while "keeping the thought of God central", as you say. Clearly, this is a matter of gaining the necessary spiritual strength to embark on the journey. Without this strength and preparation (which is a certain awareness of God, if only 'psychologically'...), I think certain techniques can be dangerous.

This is why I have gone in 'reverse gear' for the time being. No meditation, in order to meditate better when I'm ready. First I want to make sure I don't get hurt or messed it up attempting certain things. Which is why I am enquiring here about Nama Japa and Bhakti (I haven't quite considered Pranayama yet...)

So, basically, I think we are both saying the same thing.

Namaste Yajvan -

Birth chart - I can assist. Pls send me your birth info to my home email. you will see the address under members info.

This is really kind of you. I have no idea how complex it is to determine certain data in Vedic astrology, so I wouldn't like to abuse your friendly disposition and waste your time. However, if you think it might not be too much of a bother for you and that it might be useful for me, I would certainly send you what you ask for by email as soon as I find out more about my exact moment of birth (I realise this sounds silly, but I don't quite know when I was born!...)

Thank you also for your information on sandhya upasana - which I knew nothing about, and which I will bear in mind for the future.

Concerning mantras, I can only agree with you that a simple bija mantra would be best for someone like me. However (and pardon my ignorance), are such mantras exempt from akshara samudaya? And would the determination of a bija mantra be connected to my birth-chart? And in what why would it be connected to my Ishta?

My knowledge is very limited and things are getting complicated...

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Yajvan -
    I would certainly send you what you ask for by email as soon as I find out more about my exact moment of birth (I realise this sounds silly, but I don't quite know when I was born!...)

Thank you also for your information on sandhya upasana - which I knew nothing about, and which I will bear in mind for the future.

Concerning mantras, I can only agree with you that a simple bija mantra would be best for someone like me. However (and pardon my ignorance), are such mantras exempt from akshara samudaya? And would the determination of a bija mantra be connected to my birth-chart? And in what why would it be connected to my Ishta?

My knowledge is very limited and things are getting complicated...
    Namaste Raven,
    you are humble and this is duly noted. Today is Krsna Ekadasi ( that is the dark half ~ Krsna, of the month and its Ekadasi or 10 +1 , the 11day day).
    Rsi Vashistha says on these Ekadasi tithi, one can destroy ones sins and blemishes - [My teacher/guru has taught me, the greatest sin is the loss of knowing the SELF] - done by worship, giving donations, fasting, etc. It is a good day to talk of your requests. Please send your birth info once you find the time of birth. We will take a look and see.

re: Bija mantra's - we will see from your chart, and calculate the Ishtadevata, and from this, find His/Her bija and start there , only good comes from ones Ishta. This is 'classic' Jyotish work, that is near and dear to the tradition. One's Chart to point for spiritual guidence. This information is from Parashara muni ( the father of Ved Vayasa), and from rishi Jaimini... the authority on this.
    As you would perhpaps say 'Roma locuta est; causa finita est', from St. Auguestine of Hippo.

Also , pls look at the other post, Jyotish - the eyes of the Ved, for few more insights that may nourish/clarify the intellect and round out a few ideas.

Let noble thoughts come to us from every side

- Rig-Veda, 1-89-i
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan -

Your post on Jyotisha was very helpful to give me an idea of what it's all about; although I must confess I have always found astrology extremely puzzling and complicated. It is a tough science and, alas, I am not a very scientifically-minded guy!

Anyway, I'll be glad to accept your kind invitation and send you my birth details. But please allow for a few days: I have to check the details first...

Cheers,

R.

Namaste -

-----
    Thank you for the useful note, Atanu. You see, while I think I understand what you mean, I also encounter a paradox in meditation: to free the mind from thought while "keeping the thought of God central", as you say. ---
    So, basically, I think we are both saying the same thing.

Yes, we are saying the same thing. But the paradox is not a paradox. To be able to free the mind entails to be able to hold it at will. So ----- No paradox.

Best Wishes.

Om Namah Shivayya

Hari OM
    ~~~~~
    Namaste Yajvan -

Your post on Jyotisha was very helpful to give me an idea of what it's all about; although I must confess I have always found astrology extremely puzzling and complicated. R.
    Namaste Raven and thank you for your note...

I too find this great science most robust and I am still a student... I have been (humbly) studying this for 12 years, and bow to those that have mastered this part of the ved. These are the ones that deserve all the credit that may bubble up. I am just a sisya, and view myself as entry level in application of Jyotish. That said, and after 12 years of daily study, I am spending much more time with the other shastra's,agma's, etc. to round out the vedic knowledge. It is all coming together for me.
    My teacher/guru say's " Knowledge is the greatest purifier" and I can see my studies are starting to bear fruit. How so?
    It is quite clear to me that the best Jyotisha is the one with intuition and Ritambhara pragna ( that which only knows the Truth i.e. Satyam).
    To this end I focus my studies, meditation, japa, discussions, to learn and evolve. If I can share some of my skills and insights, it will be a blessing, yet my knowledge is still one-legged... until SatChitAnanda brims forth from every pore of my Being, I am still the 'student of life'.

To this I am grateful, that through His grace, I am able to pursue Moksha. All Glory to HIM who breathes out the Ved.

Idam brahma, idam kshatram, ime lokah, ime devah, imani bhutani, idam sarvam yad ayam atma.
    "This Source of knowledge; this source of power; all these worlds; all these gods; all these beings; -- All this is just the Self."
    SAGE YAJNAVALKYA , BRIHADARANYAKA UPANISHAD
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

This link speaks about the power and the glory of Gayatri mantra, and its relevance to these days:
    http://www.kanchiforum.org/forum/vie...er=asc&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post

Anyway, I have decided that I still love Osho. I think he had a lot to offer the world. I can accept him for who he was throughout his life. That said, does anyone know what really happened at the end? Please no bashing or character attacks, but just facts you know of.

Are the accounts of him having dementia and people taking advantage of him accurate?
    namaste MG,
    I would love to hear more about osho too. Please start a new thread under the 'Other Dharma' forums. There is already a thread on osho there http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=320

osho's teachings are eternal. He was poisoned by his enemies when they imprisoned him in the US.

His discourses are priceless. I have read a large number of his books. I must warn you though, if you read more of him...be prepared for the explosion!
    satay

Thread Information