Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Historical Development of Sanatana Dharma

Re: The Historical Development of Sanatana Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam TTCUSM: This is exactly the reason why I wouldn't read them if I have prior knowledge of the bias. Whether you like it or not, some of what you read sinks in. This is just the way the mind operates. So there is a weakening of the mind.
    Thiru Eastern Mind,

I still think it's a good idea to learn the viewpoint of Western historians. That way, we won't get surprised when speaking with non-Hindus about our history.

It works just like the cancer of Christianity in India. Slowly, but surely. There is first a foothold in the door such as a small doubt in the existence of our Gods. You plant a seed and it grows. That's how evangelism works, and its a well thought out tactic. First learn the language, then dress like those who are to be conquered. It's slow and insiduous, tricky and deceptive. Reading alternative and negative history is exactly the same tactic. We need to print a few million copies of magazines like Hinduism Today in all the major languages of India. We also need to print a few million copies of pamphlets that glorify Hinduism for what it is: the greatest, oldest, purest, most amazingingly peaceful philosophy and way of life on the planet. We need a few million more entitled "Beware the Missionaries Deceptive Tactics!"
    I think you broke one of the forum rules by referring to Christianity as a "cancer". Please don't be so hard on the missionaries-- after all, Hindu groups like ISKCON do similar things in the West.

The lowering of the eyes, and saying "I'm a Hindu," in some ashamed way has to stop. Stand up and be proud instead of trying to find 'other' foreign ideas like alternative histories written by those who are a threat, that incringe on this beauty. We should all say "I'm a Hindu!" in a similar outward expression as the pompous lawyer who does it because he's actually insecure, but with us its because we KNOW in our hearts that the Truth is inside.
    I agree with you there.

Vannakkam TTCUSM:

Seriously, if you feel my or anyone else's posts are breaking the rules, please just inform the moderator.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkaam: Here's another recent article on the subject.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...icle914350.ece

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by TTCUSM View Post
    Thiru Eastern Mind,

I still think it's a good idea to learn the viewpoint of Western historians. That way, we won't get surprised when speaking with non-Hindus about our history.

I think you broke one of the forum rules by referring to Christianity as a "cancer". Please don't be so hard on the missionaries-- after all, Hindu groups like ISKCON do similar things in the West.

I agree with you there.
    Are you mad?

christianity = islam = judaism = ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. They are most certainly a cancer on humanity and we Hindus don't want anything to do with those worthless untouchables.

And western historians' perspectives on India/Hinduism should be read only if american schools start teaching american history written by the taliban and palestine. Don't they need a different viewpoint also? To counter them just in case as you say?

Namaste all,

As an amateur historian and a student of history, I find this thread very intriguing. The whole issue of bias in history is something that I never paid much attention to. But I need to, both as a historian and more importantly as a member of a culture and religion that has been portrayed with much untruthfulness and bias throughout the world.

Vannakkam YYCUSM: Just wondering ...

What was the ethnicity/world view of the author/authors? (Eurocentric?)

What language was it written in? (I'm guessing English?) If so, how does this demonstrate, bias?

Where did the religious, cultural, or geographic bias mainly fall? (Don't fool yourself. There is ALWAYS bias.)

Who was the intended audience?

Why was the book written?

Which humans and ethnic groups were not considered, and which were given more attention that would probably be seen as fair?

(Just as an example, often 'comparative religion' books or classed will take Christianity apart with its various denominations, and then have one small chapter on 'Eastern faiths' at the back.

I feel these are fair questions to ask before reading any herstory book.

Aum Namasivaya
    These are all extremely important questions that should be answered when reading any type of history.

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    And western historians' perspectives on India/Hinduism should be read only if american schools start teaching american history written by the taliban and palestine. Don't they need a different viewpoint also? To counter them just in case as you say?
    Excellent point!!

Jai Sri Krishna

Vannakkam Ramakrishna et al:

I find it sad that some people view the written word as truth. I did my best as a teacher to remind my students to always read between the lines. Its not just with history either, but with current news reports, political statememts, etc.. basically any non-fiction. Even fiction, (Narnia, for example) often had bias.

I was in Hawaii a few weeks back and overheard a conversation about when Hawaii joined the US. A native Hawaiian adamantly corrected it to be , "You mean when the US annexed, and took over Hawaii!"

But its a very difficult task to find answers to my original questions. I'm also surprised no one has mentioned my use of the term her story near the end, because that;s another half of the population often left out of our recollections of what happened. In wars, for example, that half left at home also have a very sad (not always) story to tell.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by TTCUSM View Post
    Vanakkam Everyone,

During my sophomore year in high school, I took a course on World History, and we used a textbook titled The Earth and Its Peoples. I did some Googling, and found a PDF version of their chapter on India and Southeast Asia. This covers the entire history of Sanatana Dharma, from the Vedic Period to the Gupta Empire.
    I remember that book (and the fact that I got a 5 on the AP exam). It actually has very good information on every other country/civilization except for India. The book's information on India however is a slightly less offensive Christian propaganda version of Indian history.

Thread Information